• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Guest gliX

Mcdonalds Must Read

Rate this topic

i :wub: in n' out burger!!!! they actully cut their potatoes and you can see them make the fries.

one problem... in n' out burger is a lot more rare then mcdonalds and burger king. oh well... it's still really good. also, if you go there, get a chocolate shake! they are the best!

~swimchicky~ :lol:

What is the name of the book and where can I buy it?

quote name='gliX' date='Oct 3 2004, 08:55 PM' post='18883']

Yes, I have a special book made by the gluten free corporation or whatever where they go to every place and check in person if its gluten free and fries are listed as being good. Their website wouldn't list it either if they weren't positive it was gluten-free. They make fries with a special machine, I researched this many months ago.

Badandi, what places have gluten free fries besides mcdonalds?

uh....i am kinda new at this but i just found this on McDonald's website.

French Fries:

Potatoes, vegetable oil (canola oil, hydrogenated soybean oil, natural beef flavor [wheat and milk derivatives]*), citric acid (preservative), dextrose, sodium acid pyrophosphate (maintain color), salt. Prepared in vegetable oil ((may contain one of the following: Canola oil, corn oil, soybean oil, hydrogenated soybean oil with TBHQ and citric acid added to preserve freshness), dimethylpolysiloxane added as an antifoaming agent). *CONTAINS: WHEAT AND MILK (Natural beef flavor contains hydrolyzed wheat and hydrolyzed milk as starting ingredients).

the website says it...i hope its not true

thump...thump...thump...

The Celiac Sprue Association (CSA) has examined the commercial manufacturing process of the natural flavoring with wheat as a starting ingredient which is used in connection with the McDonald

For those that were wondering about the book that lists gluten free options at restaurants etc. it is put out by triumph dining. You can do a google search to find it.

A while back I remember looking up some stuff on the McDonalds website and found that their fries were NOT gluten free. They put a beef flavoring on them that contain the gluten.

Ugh this is so confusing, I just feel that we're constantly misinformed. I don't even eat McDonalds but just in everything in general, I feel that some say its okay and some say its not.

It's just so hard to trust these food places.

Hey, speaking of fries... Chic Fil Et (No idea how to spell it, hopefully you know what I mean) fries are gluten free and made in a dedicated fryer. Mmm... Now I'm craving them.

McDonalds fries = gluten free

McDonalds burgers = gluten free (without bun)

Soda = gluten free

Value Meal = Fries + Burger + Soda

Therefore, McDonalds is gluten free

OMG NOOOOOO they most certainly are NOT!!!!

French Fries:

Potatoes, vegetable oil (canola oil, hydrogenated soybean oil, natural beef flavor [wheat and milk derivatives]*), citric acid (preservative), dextrose, sodium acid pyrophosphate (maintain color), salt. Prepared in vegetable oil ((may contain one of the following: Canola oil, corn oil, soybean oil, hydrogenated soybean oil with TBHQ and citric acid added to preserve freshness), dimethylpolysiloxane added as an antifoaming agent). *CONTAINS: WHEAT AND MILK (Natural beef flavor contains hydrolyzed wheat and hydrolyzed milk as starting ingredients).

http://www.mcdonalds.com/app_controller.nu...ents.index.html

NEVER go to Mcdonald's.

OMG NOOOOOO they most certainly are NOT!!!!

French Fries:

http://www.mcdonalds.com/app_controller.nu...ents.index.html

NEVER go to Mcdonald's.

I agree. Furthermore, the level of ignorance expressed by others in this section (Teenagers Only) is astonishing! About the only food items a celiac should order at McDonald's are the apple, the green salad, milk and some of the soft drinks. Now, the breakfast sausage patty itself contains no gluten, but how can you be sure it's not cooked on a gluten-free spot on the grill?

thump....thump.....thump.

Please read the ENTIRE thread, educated yourself regarding McD's French Fries and then make your OWN PERSONAL CHOICE.

Soda = gluten free

MCDONALDS FRIES ARE NOT GLUTEN FREE ON MCDONALDS WEBSITE THEY SPECIFICALLY LIST WHEAT AS AN INGREDIENT AND WRITE IN BOLD CAPS THAT THEY CONTAIN WHEAT AND MILK!! SO THEREFORE MCDONALDS FRIES ARE NOT GLUTEN FREE!!!!!!

i eat mickey d's all the time. i read its gluten free but now people say there are wheat in their fries. im going go crazy i eat em all the time! well whatever i liked wendys better anyway. ;)

wendys:

gltuten free fries

gluten free burger(no bun)

gluten free baked potato(MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM)

gluten free frosty(yum yum)

MCDONALDS FRIES ARE NOT GLUTEN FREE ON MCDONALDS WEBSITE THEY SPECIFICALLY LIST WHEAT AS AN INGREDIENT AND WRITE IN BOLD CAPS THAT THEY CONTAIN WHEAT AND MILK!! SO THEREFORE MCDONALDS FRIES ARE NOT GLUTEN FREE!!!!!!

Welcome to the forum ahsj,

It is possible for a food product to list wheat as an ingredient and yet not contain any gluten. I know it can sound impossible, but it's true. I'm not trying to say that is the case here (although I personably believe it is), because there are extremely sensitive people out there that may react to minute amounts of gluten that are so small as to be almost undetectable.

After you've been here a while and learn a lot more about Celiac, gluten-free food, and the incredible variey of food intolerant people we have, you'll see what I'm talking about. This Mcdonalds controversy has been going on for at least the 30 months I've been here. There is a ton of information and discussions on previous mcdonalds fries threads.

best regards, lm

Sorry, I had to jump in here...

As of today (actually, late April) the nutritional info on McDonald's fries state that they are NOT gluten-free.

"French Fries:

Potatoes, vegetable oil (canola oil, hydrogenated soybean oil, natural beef flavor [wheat and milk derivatives]*), citric acid (preservative), dextrose, sodium acid pyrophosphate (maintain color), salt. Prepared in vegetable oil ((may contain one of the following: Canola oil, corn oil, soybean oil, hydrogenated soybean oil with TBHQ and citric acid added to preserve freshness), dimethylpolysiloxane added as an antifoaming agent). *

CONTAINS: WHEAT AND MILK (Natural beef flavor contains hydrolyzed wheat and hydrolyzed milk as starting ingredients)."

http://nutrition.mcdonalds.com/nutritionex...ngredients.html

Soda = gluten free

no the french fries are not gluten free....there are tracs of gluten in them......if ur really sensitive like me then they are a problem but if ur not that sensitive then they are probabaly fine

Sorry, I had to jump in here...

As of today (actually, late April) the nutritional info on McDonald's fries state that they are NOT gluten-free.

"French Fries:

Potatoes, vegetable oil (canola oil, hydrogenated soybean oil, natural beef flavor [wheat and milk derivatives]*), citric acid (preservative), dextrose, sodium acid pyrophosphate (maintain color), salt. Prepared in vegetable oil ((may contain one of the following: Canola oil, corn oil, soybean oil, hydrogenated soybean oil with TBHQ and citric acid added to preserve freshness), dimethylpolysiloxane added as an antifoaming agent). *

CONTAINS: WHEAT AND MILK (Natural beef flavor contains hydrolyzed wheat and hydrolyzed milk as starting ingredients)."

http://nutrition.mcdonalds.com/nutritionex...ngredients.html

That's not anything new, that's old news. Correction though, there's nary a mention of "gluten". What it actually say's is "hydrolyzed wheat is a starting ingredient". That may or may not be the same as the finished fries contain gluten.

best regards, lm

Yes, I have a special book made by the gluten free corporation or whatever where they go to every place and check in person if its gluten free and fries are listed as being good. Their website wouldn't list it either if they weren't positive it was gluten-free. They make fries with a special machine, I researched this many months ago.

Badandi, what places have gluten free fries besides mcdonalds?

Red Robin's fries are gluten-free. And very yummy. The Red Robin near where I live is very accommodating to any kind of allergen concern, and even keeps a list of which foods, condiments, etc are safe. They use a separate fryer for the fries than for the breaded things.

I read on the McDonalds website that the oil the fries are cooked in contains "natural beef flavor" which contains wheat. I'm sure it's a very small amount, but it's in there...

I would suggest that you investigate *all* the information available, and then make a personal decision that is right for you. There is much in this thread alone.

Also see:

http://www.csaceliacs.org/documents/FinalC...ds023006wlh.pdf

Regarding the fries, while it is true that wheat is used as a starting ingredient in the United States (but NOT in any other country that I am aware of), the final product has been independently tested and found to contain no detectable gluten.

You decide for yourself what is right for you.

Soda = gluten free

Chances of cross contamination,

The fat content of these items,

Giving McD's a reason for existing,

Value meal = Diarrhea + DH + Migraines, Palpitations, Constipation, Nausea, etc.

NO thankyou :o

I noticed that most of the links to McDonalds no longer work. So I looked it up again. Here's the website that exists now: http://nutrition.mcdonalds.com/nutritionex...redients.html#1

If you click on french fries is says:

French Fries:

Potatoes, vegetable oil (canola oil, hydrogenated soybean oil, natural beef flavor [wheat and milk derivatives]*, citric acid [preservative]), dextrose, sodium acid pyrophosphate (maintain color), salt. Prepared in vegetable oil (Canola oil, corn oil, soybean oil, hydrogenated soybean oil with TBHQ and citric acid added to preserve freshness). Dimethylpolysiloxane added as an antifoaming agent.

CONTAINS: WHEAT AND MILK *(Natural beef flavor contains hydrolyzed wheat and hydrolyzed milk as starting ingredients).

I would never chance it. I make my friends eat McDonalds in my car so I can smell it-- its as close as im going to get. It is not worth cheating-- no thank you. No food is worth that much stomache pain and other side effects.

Another thing to point out from McDonalds... I thought I was safe eating the Grilled Chicken Ceasar Salad... but, I was wrong:

Chicken Selects

I noticed that most of the links to McDonalds no longer work. So I looked it up again. Here's the website that exists now: http://nutrition.mcdonalds.com/nutritionex...redients.html#1

If you click on french fries is says:

French Fries:

Potatoes, vegetable oil (canola oil, hydrogenated soybean oil, natural beef flavor [wheat and milk derivatives]*, citric acid [preservative]), dextrose, sodium acid pyrophosphate (maintain color), salt. Prepared in vegetable oil (Canola oil, corn oil, soybean oil, hydrogenated soybean oil with TBHQ and citric acid added to preserve freshness). Dimethylpolysiloxane added as an antifoaming agent.

CONTAINS: WHEAT AND MILK *(Natural beef flavor contains hydrolyzed wheat and hydrolyzed milk as starting ingredients).

I would never chance it. I make my friends eat McDonalds in my car so I can smell it-- its as close as im going to get. It is not worth cheating-- no thank you. No food is worth that much stomache pain and other side effects.

Another thing to point out from McDonalds... I thought I was safe eating the Grilled Chicken Ceasar Salad... but, I was wrong:

Chicken Selects

i would not trust there products at all. i have eaten their burgers without a bun and i was a terrible stomach ache.