This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Anyone Ever Get Hives From Gluten?

chocolatelover

chocolatelover Contributor

I'm wondering if anyone has ever gotten hives from a glutening. My 13 y.o. daughter developed very red itchy hives this afternoon and we're wondering if it could have been from an accidental glutening. She is gluten intolerant and at some Dibbs this afternoon, which she hasn't had since being off gluten. My son and I also ate some (he is also gluten intolerant and I'm celiac) and we didn't have a problem, but that is the only thing we can think of that could have done it to her. She has no other symptoms. They are on her arms, chest and left ear. This has never happened before, so it's very odd.

Just wondering if this has happened to anyone else?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ursa Major Collaborator

I get hives from food, but not usually from gluten. What are Dibbs?

Dibbs are little bite size ice cream balls.

Guest j_mommy

Are you sure it's not Dermatitis Herpetiformis????

Michi8 Contributor

I'm eating Dibs right now...love 'em!

Are you sure that the hives are from something she ate? It could very well be from coming in skin contact with something she's sensitive to. Sunscreen? Bug spray? Pollen?

My daughter just developed severe eczema...it's that time of year again...hot weather, sun exposure, sunscreen, lots of pollen in the air (she's allergic to certain tree pollens). The skin that wasn't covered by clothing is just raw looking and peeling...and it's not sunburn. :( She's also got a few bumps that look a lot like DH...hmmm...I'm sure the doctor will say it's something else though. <_<

Michelle

Kyalesyin Apprentice

My wife gets hives, up inside her elbows. Its only happened twice though- once when we used a lotion that had gluten in it [that was scary. They swelled up like horsefly bites] and once when we totally overloaded her system after a month gluten-free. We had a pizza because she was convinced she wasn't feeling better.... turns out, she'd been feeling a lot better than she'd thought.

gdobson Explorer

My son gets hives on his face when he has red food dye.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

darlindeb25 Collaborator

I get hives when gluten, soy, or corn touches my skin.

Babygirl6915 Explorer

I get hives whenever I eat gluten but it is because I have a wheat allergy. It has the majority of the same symptoms as celiac so you wouldn't necessarily notice them & my allergist says it is not uncommon to have both a wheat allergy & celiac. If it has happened before maybe she should have an allergy test.

It's now about 24 hours later...Benadryl helped the itching and she was ok today. No more spots and no more itching, but now she has a sore throat. Maybe it is allergies to something--I know grasses are very high right now. I'm thinking it's time to get her allergy tested!

Thanks for your responses.

Betty in Texas Newbie

Yes I am 55 and had hives all my life started about 2 and never new what caused I never new where they would be maybe on my legs arms face lips and maybe over my entire body always had to take benedryl. But still took about 24 to 36 hrs to go away huge welps and when I scratch they got bigger and can make you very irriable. And the last 2 years before getting diagnosed I had them every day. I went gluten free in 2003 and I have never had hives again thank god. Hope your little girl get's better.

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

I used to get hives from being around cats, which I'm allergic to. The allergy has gotten less severe as I get older, but maybe she hugged a cat or something she doesn't normally do?

• 7 months later...
Gwen B Rookie
I get hives whenever I eat gluten but it is because I have a wheat allergy. It has the majority of the same symptoms as celiac so you wouldn't necessarily notice them & my allergist says it is not uncommon to have both a wheat allergy & celiac. If it has happened before maybe she should have an allergy test.

I got sever hives after eating at PF Changs restaurant in Portland, OR. I was swollen all around the face, and neck. My chin pratically disappeared into my neck and huge welts were all over my face, neck and some on chest and back. It took a couple of shots at ER to stop it. I also suffered the usual gastric pain and troubles assciated with my pre gluten-free diet.

A trip to the allergist and skin only showed a posative result for soy, no other grain, but I have had soy yogurt with no ill effect and can cook with soy but not drink the milk, it just furs up my mouth and throat. I was told there is usually no correlation between hives and food consumption but it that if i felt better on the gluten-free diet that it is probable that I react with some grain proteins and to stick with the gluten-free diet. I can't help but think that if was the combination of consuming gluten (probably in the soy sauce that was supposed to be gluten-free) and soy which triggered this stong allergic reaction.

mommida Enthusiast

I got hives from using a shampoo that had a labeling error and contained wheat. The hives were the worst on my chest. Some on the ears and back of my neck and upper arms.

Double check the shampoo.

kylesmom1112 Newbie

I had hives for years. after i went gluten-free/CF one of my friends noticed they had disappeared. Hives are definitely a sign of an allergic reaction. When I had my son in the hospital and they asked for allergies I gave them my list. They asked for what the symptoms were and when I mentioned hives, they stopped me and said that's all the reaction they need. LOL Take her to the allergist.

Archived