This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

How About Probiotics?

The Lovebug

The Lovebug Rookie

I recently started taking probiotics but by the second day was having the old gas/bloating/cramping/nausea/diarrhea reaction which I used to get when consuming gluten. At first, I thought it was just the probiotics doing a job on my GI system, so I continued taking them for another day or so when it suddenly occurred to me to look at the list of ingredients for the capsules. I couldn't find anything on the label which was included in the list of no-nos on this website, but I stopped taking them anyway. Here are the ingredients: L. acidophilus, B. longum, digestive enzymes, Microcrystalline cellulose, gelatin, palm oil, glycerin, soy lecithin, pectin, magnesium stearate, silicon dioxide. Does anyone see anything in the ingredients which should be causing my trouble?

Thanks.

Sue

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ursa Major Collaborator

Maybe the soy lecitin? I've heard here that sometimes you feel worse before you feel better when taking probiotics. Maybe you need to try them for longer, or maybe you need to try a different brand to see if it works better.

Nancym Enthusiast

It might be the digestive enzymes. I know someone else posted that their digestive enzymes were grown on wheat, yet the manufacturer didn't include that info on the label.

Guhlia Rising Star

Probiotics can be very hard on sensitive stomachs. I can't take them. They make me very ill, just like I'd been glutened, even if they're gluten free. I have no other intolerances.

Phyllis28 Apprentice

I use Source Naturals Daily Essential Enzyes Digestive Aid. I find them at Wild Oats.

The bottle says "contains no yeast, dairy, egg, gluten, corn, soy or wheat. Contains no sugar, starch, salt, preservative or artificial color flavor or fragrance.

I don't have any problems with it.

hez Enthusiast

I statted taking probotics about a month ago and feel as if they are the best! However, mine say gluten-free on the bottle. I would try another brand that are gluten-free and see if you feel better. I swear by mine.

Hez

Guest j_mommy

I would call the manufactorer about it!

But When I started taking them I talked to my boss about it....she did say that I could possibly get D/bloating/gas ect from them as they are "flushing" the bad stuff out of my system! So it makes sense that you would feel yucky at first. But all of this depends on making sure your probiotics are gluten-free!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

The Lovebug Rookie
I statted taking probotics about a month ago and feel as if they are the best! However, mine say gluten-free on the bottle. I would try another brand that are gluten-free and see if you feel better. I swear by mine.

Hez

Can you tell me the brand of probiotics you are using and where you got them? Thanks.

Sue

hez Enthusiast

Sue,

I picked up mine at Whole Foods in the refrigerated vitamin area. The ones I picked up are Mega Flora. I was feeling bad before I started on them and I fell so much better when I take them. My gi doc and I have no idea why they are working, we just know that they are. There were a ton of probotics that were gluten-free. Some were more expensive and some cheaper. I hope you feel better.

Hez

The Lovebug Rookie

Thanks. I'm no longer close to a Whole Foods, so I'm somewhat limited in what I can find. However, I did get online with www.drugstore.com last night and found a probiotic made by Natrol which is called Natrol Free. It claims to be gluten-free as well as free of many other allergens (wheat, dairy, etc.).

Thanks for all your comments and suggestions.

Sue

KAG Rookie

I have tried MANY MANY MANY different probiotics. I know that a lot of them are not dairy free and I have a big problem with dairy. Some have worked for me and some did not. I was just reading somewhere that not all types of probiotics will work for everyone. I think that it is definitely worth trying to find one that works for you.

The Lovebug Rookie

Just thought I would update all of you who offered comments and suggestions. I did email the manufacturer (I ordered them from drlark.com) and received the following response:

This product contains no added sugar (sucrose, fructose, lactose), salt

(sodium chloride), yeast, wheat, gluten or milk. There are also no

preservatives, artificial colors or artificial flavors.

I'm beginning to think it was the soy, and am about to go to another board, where I saw references to soy intolerance.

Thanks again.

Sue

rinne Apprentice

It might be the gelatin capsules, we've talked about this on the OMG 1200 pages + thread. Rachel has said that she does better when she opens the capsules and takes the supplement in water instead.

I know when I first got ill I couldn't tolerate anything in capsule form but I am now able to take a probiotic that is in a non GMO vegetarian capsule.

lovegrov Collaborator

The ingredients look OK although I'd still call the company. The primary lesson in the post is, however, do not just start taking or eating something without at least reading the ingredients. And if you're not sure once you're read the ingredients, call the company.

richard

lovegrov Collaborator

The ingredients look OK although I'd still call the company. The primary lesson in the post is, however, do not just start taking or eating something without at least reading the ingredients. And if you're not sure once you're read the ingredients, call the company.

richard

Archived