Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pnltbox27

Butter On Potatoes At Outback

is it just a dairy thing or is there actually gluten in the butter??? ive had it before and not been sick..ive read in a few posts that butter is not safe,what gives???

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

is it just a dairy thing or is there actually gluten in the butter??? ive had it before and not been sick..ive read in a few posts that butter is not safe,what gives???

Butter in itself is not a gluten issue, unless seasoned. It may be a dairy issue.

To add to what Momma Goose said, butter itself is gluten-free.

At Outback, the butter they use on baked potatoes (and on the bread platter, FWIW) is plain butter, no problem.

On the other hand, the butter they use on the vegetables is seasoned butter, and contains gluten. Ask for your veggies without butter, but the stuff on your tater is ok.

ok thanks i was wondering because ive read some posts that people order the potato without butter ive even seen it on a few companys websites "order w/o butter" and just wasnt sure. gotta have butter on a potato

This is why we always BYOB (the little we eat at relatives and the one wedding we went to) !!

I think I said in a post yesterday that my sweet potato came with butter on it and had to go back. The butter they put on the sweet potato is a honey butter or some kind of seasoned butter and I have been told by 2 different Outbacks that it is not gluten-free. So, they just brought me a new sweet potato with regular butter on the side.

Sorry if I added to the confusion.

The butter @ Outback is safe but just FYI the Sour Cream is DEFINITELY not! I have a wheat allergy so as soon as I eat it I can tell before it even gets digested & I had 2 bites of the baked potato with SC & got hives! There must be quite a bit of wheat in there b/c that reaction is usually reserved for eating a bread products or deep fried somethings.

The butter @ Outback is safe but just FYI the Sour Cream is DEFINITELY not! I have a wheat allergy so as soon as I eat it I can tell before it even gets digested & I had 2 bites of the baked potato with SC & got hives! There must be quite a bit of wheat in there b/c that reaction is usually reserved for eating a bread products or deep fried somethings.

It might have been cross-contamination, but they use Daisy brand sour cream at Outback, and it is gluten-free. Also, the honey butter is gluten-free. If you want your veggies with butter, just ask that it not be the seasoned butter.

Outback recently switched to a remote printing system that allows servers and kitchen staff to communicate MUCH better and makes gluten-free meals easier to prepare. For just about every item on the menu, there is a "gluten-free" button on the computer screen.

Still, cross-contamination is a major concern at any place, Outback being no exception

- Lauren

The sour cream at Outback is most definitely gluten-free. Probably CC, which is possible whenever you eat out.

The honey butter is also gluten-free. There are no warnings on the menu to avoid it.

richard

It might have been cross-contamination, but they use Daisy brand sour cream at Outback, and it is gluten-free. Also, the honey butter is gluten-free. If you want your veggies with butter, just ask that it not be the seasoned butter.

Ok, then you are right. I have Daisy @ home & have never had a problem. Sorry guys!!! :blink:

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):
    Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):

Celiac.com Sponsors (A17):

• Forum Discussions

This is good advice. Some restaurants offer gluten-free menus or mark items with “GF” on their regular menu, and I try to eat at such places. I still talk to the manager when I order to be sure. 
    I've had a swollen gland in my neck similar to what you described.  I found that taking thiamine helps immensely.   Here's an article that you might find helpful..... http://wandererandhome.weebly.com/heal-yourself/vitamin-b1-th...
    Mummu said her daughter was "constantly nauseated, tired, and having little to no interest in eating.  She's lost weight and I'm worried she may be becoming depressed"   I agree with M.Martha.  The Autoimmune diet without dairy and...