This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Why Is This So Hard?

grey

grey Explorer

Get this. My insurance company will not cover a dietician for Celiac. They will for diabetes - because it's medically necessary. Apparently, diet isn't medically necessary for Celiac!

None of the doctors where I am have treated active celiac. How this can be, I don't know, but such seems to be the case. None of the dieticians have either.

So, through much effort I find a doctor in Madison with experience and in a practice with a rheumatologist, gastro, & dietician. All have lots of celiac experience.

Not covered by my d***** insurance, which turns out to have $1000 out of network deductiblle. I've spent my out of pocket max in network ... but NONE of that rolls over!

I'm SO TIRED of the stress with this disease. I spend all my time going to six different grocery stores to get six different things. I juice, I cook three meals a day, and I cna't take a moment off. I know this isn't just me and those with a family have a much harder time. I don't know how anyone does it. I'm just so tired all the time.

Why is it so unbelievably hard to get treated? I'm still sick - I understand that it takes time to feel better - but I wish that I didn't have to rely so much on myself. Shouldn't having a dx make this easier?

I'm so tired of crying and being afraid. Thousands of dollars in medical bills. And all I'm getting told is go on the internet. I've been being really positive in attitude but I just can't take this. Am I crazy for wanting a doctor who isn't just guessing and has never seen this beofre?

I know I ask stupid questions on this site, and I'm sorry, and I post too much, but I'm just so lost. I don't want to go back into the hospital and I'm terrified I have other stuff going on and that's why I'm still sick but I just don't know.

Thanks for letting me vent. I'm really not coping well right now.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

I am so sorry that you are frustrated. I know all too well how hard celiac can be.

I don't think that you can find any professional that has the combined knowledge of the people on this site.

You are a part of the family. Venting or not, if you need some guidance or have questions, we're here!!

DingoGirl Enthusiast

So sorry you're having such a rough time. I am going to PROMISE you this - - it gets SO MUCH BETTER. And it takes time, and lots of research, trial and error. Unfortunately, this is a disease that demands very much of the patient for recovery. It's a pisser. But WELL worth it in the end.

DO NOT waste your money on a dietitian! They seriously don't know anything about Celiac - well - - I am sure that the odd one here or there might, I just have yet to hear a report of this.

How about a couple of books? Go to half.com, if money's an issue, and look for Gluten-free for Dummies......or Dr. Peter Green's book on Celiac.

I suspect that 95% of doctors won't know how to help you, either, other than providing a diagnosis and maybe a few pages of info. I LOVE my GI, but the man isn't livign with the disease himself...that's why I found myself on this forum, over 18 months ago, sick and miserable and sobbing and bewildered...and I just sat here and read about six hours a day......

YOu know something, I didn't believe people in the beginning when they said things would get easier, but I can honestly say, it is almost effortless now, second-nature, and I am never sick any more.

Hang in there, and ask as many questions as you'd like. :)

hez Enthusiast

You are right this disease does suck but let me add that it does get easier with time. That tired feeling will get better as well the more your body heals. For me it took six months on the diet before I started to feel better.

As for the dieticians I would skip it. I can't tell you how many threads I have read on this board of people getting the wrong information. All this does is delay your recovery.

I was also in big time mourning after my dx. I just felt plain sad. It took awhile for me to get over that. And still there are days when I am sad over the inconvience of this disease. Then after I feel that saddness I remember how good I feel and what a blessing it is to have this dx. Truly, what disease out there is so simple to cure? No drugs, no surgeries just eating food that is good for you.

This board is a wonderful place to feel support and get great information.

Hez

ArtGirl Enthusiast
Why is it so unbelievably hard to get treated? I'm still sick - I understand that it takes time to feel better - but I wish that I didn't have to rely so much on myself. Shouldn't having a dx make this easier?

It's hard to get treated because there is no treatment except eating gluten-free. There are no pills to take, to therapy sessions, nothing other than diet.

Keep visiting this board, ask questions, read past threads, and educate yourself. I spent three weeks absorbed in reading threads when I first found this forum. My head was spinning, but I learned more here than any professional could have told me. And in less time, and without any cost.

As other posters have said - stick with it and give it all some time. You WILL feel better. Your energy WILL return. Six months from now you'll be giving others encouragement in their initial struggles.

The best thing you can do now is to learn all you can, be viligent about your kitchen, your cosmetics, pet food - all those things that can contimate you - and get as close to 100% gluten-free as you possibly can.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Folks are quite right about the dietian issue, you probally know more about celiac than they do by now. This site and the one by the celiac sprue association have been the most helpful to me. Ask all the questions you need to and know you are not alone. It is hard at first but it is so worth it in the long run. I have provided a link to the celiac sprue diet choices page and be sure to also check out the link on this sites home page to theirs also.

Open Original Shared Link

Phyllis28 Apprentice
I'm SO TIRED of the stress with this disease. I spend all my time going to six different grocery stores to get six different things. I juice, I cook three meals a day, and I cna't take a moment off. I know this isn't just me and those with a family have a much harder time. I don't know how anyone does it. I'm just so tired all the time.

I do not cook three meals a day. I make a lot of whatever I am cooking so I have leftovers to reheat If I don't think I am going to use the food up in a timely I will freeze it in individual servings.

I also have quick meals such as

Peanutbutter and Jelly on Rice Cakes

Gluten Free Hot Dogs with canned gluten free bakes beans

Tuna and cheese on rice cakes or gluten free bread (can be microwaved)

Refried beans and Cheese in heated in a corn tortilla.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kbtoyssni Contributor

I'm sorry you're having such a tough time. You're right, a dietitian should be covered by your insurance if one for diabetes is. Not sure if this will help you, but most people here haven't found dietitians to be that helpful. As you know, the diet's harder than "don't eat WBRO" and that's a lot of what a dietitian will give you. To me, this site is far more valuable.

There is a HUGE learning curve to this diet, but give it a month or two and it will get much, much easier. Once you get your safe brands figured out, shopping won't be much of a chore. I do 99.9% of my shopping at a regular grocery store. Try thinking outside the box a bit - where you used to use bread, try corn tortillas (Mission brand are gluten-free) or lettuce (like egg/tuna salad lettuce wraps). Use potatoes and rice as a base instead of pasta. Use Thai-style rice pasta instead of buying specialty gluten-free pasta. Make friends with brands like Kraft who always label gluten if it contains it. And don't be afraid to eat very simple meals for a while until you figure this out. Try just plain meat and veggies, maybe some spices (McCormick is gluten-free).

The first few weeks that I was diagnosed, I ate corn tortillas (Tostitos brand) with cheese several times a day! That's certainly not healthy, but I figured if that's the worst thing I did in the first month while I was still trying to figure out what I could eat, that's not so bad. It's better than eating gluten.

Are there certain meals or foods that you're having trouble finding? We can maybe help you out with brands so you don't have to go to so many grocery stores. Good luck - this does get easier.

grey Explorer

Thanks so much to everyone who responded to my breakdown. I do feel better than when I started gluten-free, but with still feeling weak and sick it's hard not to worry that something else is wrong or that I'm doing something wrong. Every time I hear that it took others several months to feel better gives me hope that things will be fine.

I've been eating pretty plainly because I can't have dairy and my system isn't handling some foods yet. I'm scared of 'regular' foods - even when the ingredients don't list anything bad, I'm never sure I can eat it. I had some Trader JOe's salsa verde and was pretty sick for four days and then had a two-day migraine; turned it was made in a plant that processed wheat! I'm also worried that I'm not getting the right foods or combination foods to stay healthy. I don't want to end up back in the hospital for malabsorption, malnutrition, and dehydration again-I thought I was eating ok then too.

Definately going to look for the corn tortilla brand kbtoyssni mentioned. Are there refried beans and salsas (I'd love the green kind) that have worked for you? The other thing I'd like to find is a bacon or sausage that's gluten-free.

I don't know what I do without this board!!

Thanks again for all the support.

Karen B. Explorer
Thanks so much to everyone who responded to my breakdown. I do feel better than when I started gluten-free, but with still feeling weak and sick it's hard not to worry that something else is wrong or that I'm doing something wrong. Every time I hear that it took others several months to feel better gives me hope that things will be fine.

I've been eating pretty plainly because I can't have dairy and my system isn't handling some foods yet. I'm scared of 'regular' foods - even when the ingredients don't list anything bad, I'm never sure I can eat it. I had some Trader JOe's salsa verde and was pretty sick for four days and then had a two-day migraine; turned it was made in a plant that processed wheat! I'm also worried that I'm not getting the right foods or combination foods to stay healthy. I don't want to end up back in the hospital for malabsorption, malnutrition, and dehydration again-I thought I was eating ok then too.

Definately going to look for the corn tortilla brand kbtoyssni mentioned. Are there refried beans and salsas (I'd love the green kind) that have worked for you? The other thing I'd like to find is a bacon or sausage that's gluten-free.

I don't know what I do without this board!!

Thanks again for all the support.

I remember my first year as pretty scary. The local Celiac group and place like this helped a lot but I remember telling my hubby that food isn't my friend, it's the enemy now. He was very supportive once he realized what I needed.

My favorite refried beans are the Taco Bell Fat Free Refried Beans in the can. Don't trust Taco Bell restaurants but the canned beans are gluten-free and quite good. I travel with these beans and crispy toastada shells for quick safe meals. (found a plastic box that fits the tostadas and fits in a corner of my "pantry" suitcase)

I've had good success with Hormel products from their gluten-free list (bacon and sausage are on the list)

And the sausage I eat everyday is Butterball low fat turkey sausage. I liked the Jennie-O brand but can't find it anymore. Once in awhile, I'll splurge on regular sausage like I did Friday for a sausage chowder. I don't know why no one carries a low-fat, spicy sausage.

If you can have soy, have you tried Silk yet? The chocolate flavor is yummy but I buy the plain (I can add chocolate syrup if I want it). Chebe rolls and Tinkyada pasta are the two products I really wish someone had told me about up front. I didn't find out about them until I joined our local group.

I really wouldn't regret missing the dietician. Most of the ones I've spoken with have had little to no experience with Celiac. The dietician I spoke with when my Mom was in the hospital actually told me "but you'd know more about the gluten-free diet than I do." At least she was honest but a better answer would have ended with "tell me..."

grey Explorer

Thank you so much for the Hormel link! That's a lot of products that might be easier to find. And I'm definately going to look for the refried beans with the tortillas mentioned earlier in the thread.

I too wish there were a low-fat spicy sausage - I have great soup recipe for chick peas with andouille that would be gluten-free.

I use almond milk in cereal and smoothies but it's hard to find where I am; I haven't tried Silk yet but I think it's at the supermarket.

There are definately times when it feels like food (and medicines, etc) are my enemy. In some ways, it was easier to be sick. The cure is much harder and more frustrating - from the doctors to the food than I ever expected.

Karen B. Explorer
Thank you so much for the Hormel link! That's a lot of products that might be easier to find. And I'm definately going to look for the refried beans with the tortillas mentioned earlier in the thread.

I too wish there were a low-fat spicy sausage - I have great soup recipe for chick peas with andouille that would be gluten-free.

I use almond milk in cereal and smoothies but it's hard to find where I am; I haven't tried Silk yet but I think it's at the supermarket.

There are definately times when it feels like food (and medicines, etc) are my enemy. In some ways, it was easier to be sick. The cure is much harder and more frustrating - from the doctors to the food than I ever expected.

You might check for kosher meat markets in your area and call them. It's been my experience that they know what goes into their products more than most meat markets. I realize andouille is not a Jewish sausage, but it's a small world. :-)

BTW, if you make gumbo, my hubby uses Bob's Red Mill gluten-free All-Purpose Baking Flour for his roux and it works great! Open Original Shared Link

kevsmom Contributor

Welcome to our "family". This is a learning process, and with all of us pitching in, we can get through it!

Try theses sites:

I hope they are helpfult to you.

Cindy

gfpaperdoll Rookie

Welcome to the boards, don't forget to take a gluten free B12 everyday, I get Nature Made at Walgreens, sometimes they are on sale 1/2 price.

Also do not forget to snack. Sometimes when we go gluten-free we do not get hungry like we used to. So you have to remember to build in those snacks. Fruit with peanut butter or a piece of meat, or nuts is a good snack for me. I also like broccoli dipped in anything!!! I will even eat it with peanut butter!! I also recommend Lundberg Rice Chips, they are gluten free & have no cross contamination, they are sold at a lot of main stream groceries like Kroger & HEB or ask your grocer to order them.

Also WalMart house brand is labeled gluten-free. I get my Smuckers All Natural Peanut Butter there.

I am a master at those Mission Brand Tortillas, get the White Corn ones they are better. You can heat them in a skillet with a little olive oil & then put peanut butter & jelly on them add a piece of crispy bacon & roll up. You will be delighted. I sometimes have that for a Sat. or Sunday breakfast. You can also roll them up with chopped onion, mashed beans, chopped cilantro & any leftover meat. To make a pizza you can put bean dip on one top it with another tortilla & then put your tomato base & any cooked veggies & meat, heat in oven.

You can cut a stack of them in 4's & fry in hot olive oil for fresh chips to eat with a salsa dip or salad etc. I use Tostitos All Natural Salsa. You can also fry them in olive oil for taco shells, I just poke it down in the oil with a large stainless steel spoon & it curls up around the spoon making an imperfect taco shape but quite good. Now for the taco filling you can use anything, I have them a lot of times with no meat. I like to grate carrots to sprinkle on top instead of cheese. I use any of the following chopped lettuce or cabbage, tomatoes, red onions, bean dip, drained leftover heated pinto beans, chopped cilantro, salsa, chopped broccolli, jicama, or anything else you have !!!!

I use Extra Light Olive Oil for all my cooking.

If you are having problems please do not introduce any of the gluten free breads etc until you are better and can tell if they agree with you.

Think of the things your granmother would have made (assuming she cooked!) like English pea salad, deviled eggs, tuna salad, roast with carrots & onions that kind of thing.

If you like salads this is what I do, chop up a head of celery, a couple red or yellow bell peppers, grate a couple of carrots, chop a bunch of green onions, put in a tupperware container & put a bounty paper towel on top to absorb moisture. Then use that as a base for a salad, add greens & tomatoes, and broccolli, jicama, etc. I use kale as my green, it is very good for you & keeps a long time in the fridge, just tear out the center vein. you can also throw some of that mix in a skillet that you have browned an onion & garlic & then pour in a jar of spaghetti saucem heat & then eat over rice or a grilled chicken breast etc. freeze a serving for leter of just the sauce. You can also use that salad base in a stir fry, that is what I do towards the end of the week when it looks like it is starting to wilt. When you open the container wipe the moisture off the lid & replace the paper towel.

It will get easier when you learn to plan for leftovers and get your new routines down etc. Please post as many times as you need to. We are all happy to share. Let us know if anything that you are wanting to cook or your problems. Oh, well I do recommend those Gluten Free Pantry brownies for a treat, they freeze well also. Or some of us if we are desperate & cannot eat a grain etc just make a little batch of powdered sugar icing & eat a spoonful of that (I know it is bad but sometimes it is okay to be bad- right? B)

Lisa Mentor
Welcome to our "family". This is a learning process, and with all of us pitching in, we can get through it!

Try theses sites:

I hope they are helpfult to you.

Cindy

Cindy,

Thanks for the Newman's link. Just threw out my Family Italian Dressing. (Barley Malt Extract). Ugggg. two years of this and still learning.

grey Explorer

Oh this is a brilliant idea! I may have to drive a bit, but it would be worth it. I'm definately going to do it! I haven't made gumbo in years but I should again - I'm glad to know that the flour will make a roux well. I haven't played with flours at all.

thanks!

You might check for kosher meat markets in your area and call them. It's been my experience that they know what goes into their products more than most meat markets. I realize andouille is not a Jewish sausage, but it's a small world. :-)

BTW, if you make gumbo, my hubby uses Bob's Red Mill gluten-free All-Purpose Baking Flour for his roux and it works great! Open Original Shared Link

grey Explorer

Cindy, thank you for the links! I knew the popcorn was ok, but didn't know about the dressings.Sad about the Italian, I used to use it for a marinade...

I give myself B12 injections every other day; but I need to get a B-complex vitamin and I'll check out Nature Made. I'm surprised to hear about Lungberg Chips - I had assumed they must be cc since they were everywhere.

I can't eat raw veg or yet, unless it's juiced, but when I can (I hope soon!!) I'm going to try your salad base; also the ideas you give about fillings. I love kale (I juice it now). The paper towel is also a great idea - my salad greens usually ends up too damp and kind of gross at the end of the week.

Why avoid the gluten-free breads? Are some of them doubtful or cc?

Thanks so much for all the suggestions!

Welcome to the boards, don't forget to take a gluten free B12 everyday, I get Nature Made at Walgreens, sometimes they are on sale 1/2 price.

Also do not forget to snack. Sometimes when we go gluten-free we do not get hungry like we used to. So you have to remember to build in those snacks. Fruit with peanut butter or a piece of meat, or nuts is a good snack for me. I also like broccoli dipped in anything!!! I will even eat it with peanut butter!! I also recommend Lundberg Rice Chips, they are gluten free & have no cross contamination, they are sold at a lot of main stream groceries like Kroger & HEB or ask your grocer to order them.

Also WalMart house brand is labeled gluten-free. I get my Smuckers All Natural Peanut Butter there.

I am a master at those Mission Brand Tortillas, get the White Corn ones they are better. You can heat them in a skillet with a little olive oil & then put peanut butter & jelly on them add a piece of crispy bacon & roll up. You will be delighted. I sometimes have that for a Sat. or Sunday breakfast. You can also roll them up with chopped onion, mashed beans, chopped cilantro & any leftover meat. To make a pizza you can put bean dip on one top it with another tortilla & then put your tomato base & any cooked veggies & meat, heat in oven.

You can cut a stack of them in 4's & fry in hot olive oil for fresh chips to eat with a salsa dip or salad etc. I use Tostitos All Natural Salsa. You can also fry them in olive oil for taco shells, I just poke it down in the oil with a large stainless steel spoon & it curls up around the spoon making an imperfect taco shape but quite good. Now for the taco filling you can use anything, I have them a lot of times with no meat. I like to grate carrots to sprinkle on top instead of cheese. I use any of the following chopped lettuce or cabbage, tomatoes, red onions, bean dip, drained leftover heated pinto beans, chopped cilantro, salsa, chopped broccolli, jicama, or anything else you have !!!!

I use Extra Light Olive Oil for all my cooking.

If you are having problems please do not introduce any of the gluten free breads etc until you are better and can tell if they agree with you.

Think of the things your granmother would have made (assuming she cooked!) like English pea salad, deviled eggs, tuna salad, roast with carrots & onions that kind of thing.

If you like salads this is what I do, chop up a head of celery, a couple red or yellow bell peppers, grate a couple of carrots, chop a bunch of green onions, put in a tupperware container & put a bounty paper towel on top to absorb moisture. Then use that as a base for a salad, add greens & tomatoes, and broccolli, jicama, etc. I use kale as my green, it is very good for you & keeps a long time in the fridge, just tear out the center vein. you can also throw some of that mix in a skillet that you have browned an onion & garlic & then pour in a jar of spaghetti saucem heat & then eat over rice or a grilled chicken breast etc. freeze a serving for leter of just the sauce. You can also use that salad base in a stir fry, that is what I do towards the end of the week when it looks like it is starting to wilt. When you open the container wipe the moisture off the lid & replace the paper towel.

It will get easier when you learn to plan for leftovers and get your new routines down etc. Please post as many times as you need to. We are all happy to share. Let us know if anything that you are wanting to cook or your problems. Oh, well I do recommend those Gluten Free Pantry brownies for a treat, they freeze well also. Or some of us if we are desperate & cannot eat a grain etc just make a little batch of powdered sugar icing & eat a spoonful of that (I know it is bad but sometimes it is okay to be bad- right? B)

gfpaperdoll Rookie

when you read some of the books you will find that a diet of no grains is recommended. I can only state my own experience here, but I cannot tolerate anything except come rice or corn & I try not to eat those on the same day.

sorghum flour makes me really sick, crampy, D, headache, I have missed work a few Mondays from trying to eat my own homemade treats... Other people that I know that are celiac eat it just fine with no problems... Can't do potato flour either, really all the flours just make me sick, I have given up again on the baking... There are things that you can make with almond meal...

Anyway it is generally accepted that to get some healing going it is better to delay the mainstream gluten-free goodies for about 6 months, same thing with dairy, for you that would be really important, sorry I did not read earlier that you could not eat veggies etc unless juiced, I must have missed that, sometimes I skip to the end of the posts :o !

You might want to read up on Specific Carbohydrate Diet (SCD) that is no grains. If you are really sick I think that you should also read up on that & the "Eat Right for Your Blood Type" book & read Danergous grains & Celiac Disease a Hidden Epidemic By Dr Peter Green, & I like the book Super Foods by Steve Pratt, M.D., not a gluten-free book, but a good refresher in nutrition. Be aware of the nightshade family of foods, & from all that see what fits you best, everyone is so different in what they tolerate.

Karen B. Explorer
Cindy,

Thanks for the Newman's link. Just threw of my Family Italian Dressing. (Barley Malt Extract). Ugggg. two years of this and still learning.

It is frustrating. I still get zinged now and then too.

grey Explorer

Thanks for the rsponse. It's all so confusing! I seem to be pretty good on rice, but I'm wondering if I'm reacting to potatoes right now as I seem to have D and other symptoms when I eat them. I've been trying various breads, but I don't eat that much of them, just a sandwich or two during the week. I think I'll drop the bread for a little while and see if that helps.

My gut seems to have gotten pretty badly beat up - it's amazing how you can get used to anything, even constant pain, reflux, and D - without me really knowing. I don't think it can hurt to be nice to it as long as I make sure I'm getting fiber somewhere and other nutrients. I have the Dangerous Grains book, and Peter green's book Hidden Epidemic. I'll

look for Pratt's book next time I can - I've been reading about nutrition (not necessarily gluten-free) a lot lately, so that's a great addition to my list. And I'm off to google the SCD.

My posts are too long - I'm not surprised you missed a minor detail! I think it's because my cat has as yet shown no interest in Celiac disease ... even though she's living the gluten-free lifestyle too ;) ! Thanks for all the detailed repsonse, much appreciated.

when you read some of the books you will find that a diet of no grains is recommended. I can only state my own experience here, but I cannot tolerate anything except come rice or corn & I try not to eat those on the same day.

sorghum flour makes me really sick, crampy, D, headache, I have missed work a few Mondays from trying to eat my own homemade treats... Other people that I know that are celiac eat it just fine with no problems... Can't do potato flour either, really all the flours just make me sick, I have given up again on the baking... There are things that you can make with almond meal...

Anyway it is generally accepted that to get some healing going it is better to delay the mainstream gluten-free goodies for about 6 months, same thing with dairy, for you that would be really important, sorry I did not read earlier that you could not eat veggies etc unless juiced, I must have missed that, sometimes I skip to the end of the posts :o !

You might want to read up on Specific Carbohydrate Diet (SCD) that is no grains. If you are really sick I think that you should also read up on that & the "Eat Right for Your Blood Type" book & read Danergous grains & Celiac Disease a Hidden Epidemic By Dr Peter Green, & I like the book Super Foods by Steve Pratt, M.D., not a gluten-free book, but a good refresher in nutrition. Be aware of the nightshade family of foods, & from all that see what fits you best, everyone is so different in what they tolerate.

gfpaperdoll Rookie

White potatoes are in the "Nightshade" family. You might skip them for the time being, this does not mean that you cannot try them again later... try using sweet potatoes, you can bake them or fry them in extra light olive oil like french frys or bake them in the oven (french fry cut) with a little olive oil & fresh herbs.

Sounds like you might have a problem with Lectins. Read that book "eat right for you Blood Type".

jerseyangel Proficient

Just an FYI on the Lundberg Rice Chips--they are not made in a gluten-free facility. I inquired about them recently, and was told that the Rice Chips and the Rice Express are the only products that are not made in a dedicated facility. :)

Karen B. Explorer
Oh this is a brilliant idea! I may have to drive a bit, but it would be worth it. I'm definately going to do it! I haven't made gumbo in years but I should again - I'm glad to know that the flour will make a roux well. I haven't played with flours at all.

thanks!

Another member of our local group told me he thickens his gumbo with cooking okra down. If you find you can't hadnle gluten-free flours just yet, that's another option.

Also, if you like spicy, you might try Tasty Bites. They have some good Indian meals in a pouch. They were a mainstay of mine when I first went gluten-free. Didn't have time to do a lot of cooking.

rjne2nd Rookie

:huh: I am a recent celiac Diagnosis and I can already relate to how hard this is! I have been trying to be gluten-free for close to two week now and I can really tell a difference.. and yet there are times that my stomach still bloats up and i feel pain all over! How long does it take to get to a Different place? I am 46, 17 year ago they suspected I had the disease but everyone including the physicians Poo pood it! The bx was positive back then and is now for celiac.. the genetic test showed i was in a small population of people who could have celiac so my new GI Dr encouraged me to go gluten-free! Please if anyone has any encouragement or advice please help... I guess I have as positive a diagnosis for celiac as i can get.. I just need to understand emotionally that this diet is necessary for me now and the rest of my life!

Help? In Ft Wayne

kbtoyssni Contributor

Heeehee, just noticed I had a typo in my post :) I meant to say I ate corn CHIPS with cheese, not corn TORTILLAS. So the corn chip brand is tostitos. Tostitos are made by Frito-Lay - here's a list of all their gluten-free food: Open Original Shared Link

Try Mission-brand corn tortillas, they are gluten-free. I buy more mexican-style tortillas ($2 for 36), but I can't remember the brand off the top.

Pace and Tostitos brand salsas are gluten-free.

For bacon, Oscar Meyer is gluten-free (they're owned by Kraft so they'll label if there's gluten. Most of their bacon contains caramel color, but it's gluten-free). Johnsonville brand is mostly gluten-free, too.

I remember the days of looking at things and just not knowing if I could eat it. It's pretty frustrating because it's impossible to make anything! I started putting aside all my "questionable" foods and calling one or two companies a day (or coming on here to research the brand). Just calling a few a day makes things more manageable. And don't worry too much about the mess-ups. We all had plenty of them in the first few months, but you learn quickly.

Archived