This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What's The Best gluten-free "oreo"?

buffettbride

buffettbride Enthusiast

My DD turns 10 in a little less than a month (I can't believe I've been a mom for almost ten years!).

Her FAVORITE FAVORITE FAVORITE cookie pre-Celiacs were Oreos (and Oreo Blizzards of course!). Well, obviously she doesn't eat them any more but I would REALLY love to have some almost-Oreos for her birthday!

I've seen a few gluten-free varieties of the chocolate cookies w/ white frosting in the middle but I want to know from experience which ones y'all like best (so far I'm leaning toward the Kinnikinnick) and are most like Oreos.

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Katydid Apprentice

Kinnikinnick Kinne-Toos - They taste exactly like an oreo, but they are kind of spendy.

Guhlia Rising Star

ditto on Kinnikinnick's K-too's. They are AWESOME!!! We all think they taste just like Oreos. They even react the same way in milk as an Oreo. I've tried a couple other brands of Oreo knock offs and none were right.

modiddly16 Enthusiast

double ditto on the kinnitoo's...i can eat a whole dang bag of them in one sitting, which is incredibly unhealthy but oh so delicious with milk...in fact, I'm going to order some right now :)

taweavmo3 Enthusiast

Can there be a triple ditto??? Lol. Kinitoos rock...they are awesome. I've tried some of the others, and they didn't even come close to Kinnikinnick. I love that company!

psawyer Proficient

I'll add my voice in support of Kinitoos. They are awesome!

buffettbride Enthusiast

Wow! Thanks so much! Glad to know I was going to make the right call (and y'all seem very passionate about your cookies!!).

Her standard fave right now is the Pamela's Double Chocolate we can get in the store when we do our regular shopping but boy will she be happy w/ "Oreos". I'll have to whip up a "Blizzard" for her, too!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

modiddly16 Enthusiast

Well in life you should be passionate...if not in general then for one or two things...I don't see how cookies wouldn't be high up on anyone's priority list!!! :P

Karen B. Explorer

Hubby (non-Celiac) agrees with me that Mi-Del is good. Hubby says it tastes just like Oreos. I agree. Of course, they need to be fresh. The 2 year old pack we found squirrelled away wasn't so hot. :-)

I've been planning on making an oreo cheesecake for my Sis's BD.

mrg8610 Rookie

If you really want to make your daughter a special oreo treat, try this recipe. Take a bag of gluten-free oreos (I use the same amt. as in a normal sized bag of real oreos--I think the regular bag is maybe 18 ozs.) and put them in a food processor until they are ground into fine crumbs. You use the whole cookie, even the cream part. Once they are finely ground, throw in an 8 oz. brick of cream cheese and process that in the food processor with the crumbs. Form the mixture into balls (a heaping tbsp. in each ball) and put on a cookie sheet. Once all the balls are made, put them in a freezer for half an hour. Before removing them from the freezer, melt some chocolate in a double boiler. Take the balls out of the freezer and dip them, one at a time, in the melted chocolate. Put them on a plate and let the chocolate harden. They are so good and so chocolatey. If you want to make them fancy for a party or special occasion, you can even drizzle another color of chocolate on top as a decoration.

melmak5 Contributor

Just another idea...

You can also make an ice cream cake with said cookie crumbles (if your wee one is a fan of the Carvel-style cakes).

It really works best with a spring-form pan (like you use for making cheese cake).

Step 1 - line pan with parchmant paper (you may need a little bit of butter/grease to make it stick.)

Step 2 - Scoop and smooth in soft ice cream, to fill the pan about 1/2 way up.

Step 3 - Sprinkle on cookie crumbles

Step 4 - Freeze until ice cream sets up (at lease a few hours, easier overnight)

Step 5 - Scoop & smooth more ice cream on top (lay it on thick, so you don't have to work too many strokes or you will pull up the cookie layer)

Step 6 - Freeze until ice cream sets

Step 7 - Unmold and decorate! (DO NOT TRY TO ICE WITH BUTTERCREAM, it will freeze faster than you can work, a looser, coolwhip-type coating works better, or you can just cover the thing in more cookie crumbs)

I did this for a friend, with her two favorite flavors of ice cream and it was a big hit.

It also helps to have the cutting knife in hot water before trying to slice.

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

I have to say, K-too's are my favorite too.

buffettbride Enthusiast

I have to say, this is the best thread ever. I'm drooooling!

Archived