Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

holdthegluten

Additional Autoimmune Disease

what percentage of celiacs develop additional autoimmune disorders?

28 yr old Male

Diagnosed Celiac in February 2007

Gluten-free/Casein Free

HLA DQ 2,3 Subtype (2,8) I have both celiac genes!

Married

1 child 9 months- Levi

Yeast/Bacteria overgrowth

" CHANGE THE WAY YOU LOOK AT THINGS AND THE THINGS YOU LOOK AT CHANGE"

Wayne Dyer

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I don't know what the percentages are but after reading on this board, I'd say it's fairly high! I have developed rheumatoid arthritis plus my hypothyroid, hypoglycemia and fibromyalgia.

hypothyroid

hypoglycemic (diagnosed 1997 but symptomatic since grade school)

fibromyalgia

rheumatoid arthritis (diagnosed January 2005)

peanut allergy

restarting gluten-free January 20, 2013

elevated liver enzymes + symptoms indicated celiac January 31, 2013. Dr. didn't want to run further tests due to other health complications

I don't know if they have a hard percentage number, but it is very common. Scientist for years have thought all the auto-immune diseases are linked to celiac plus many other things. They have even linked schizophrenia with celiac. A interesting book to read that talks about this is called Dangerous Grains, can't remember the author right now. My mom is borrowing my copy.

I personally have asthma, hypoglycemia plus fibromyalgia.

I dont know ther percentage , but if you read my signature...my kids and I are a statistic, see this article: http://www.emedicine.com/med/byname/Polygl...e--Type-III.htm

it may be helpful.

Anyone with one autoimmune disease is more susceptible to developing another autoimmune problem.

Sandy

Type 1 diabetes - 1986

hypothyroid -1993

pernicious anemia

premature atrial beats

neuropathy

retinopathy

daughter is: age 15

central hypotonia and developmental delay

balance issues (rides an adult 3 wheel bike)

hypothyroid 1996

dermatographia - a form of angioedema 2002

celiac 2004 - by endoscopy

diagnosed Aspergers at age 7 - responded very well (HUGE difference) to gluten-free diet

recovered from Kawasaki (2003)

lactose intolerant - figured out in Oct/06

Gilberts syndrome (April/07)

allergy to stinging insects

scoliosis Jan 2008

nightshade intolerance - figured out April 2008

allergy to Sulfa antibiotics

son is 13

type 1 diabetic - 2003 diagnosed on his 9th birthday

celiac - 2004 by endoscopy

lactose intolerant - figured out Nov/06

I'm not sure I'd buy the statistic if I saw one! There are so many undiagnosed Celiac's that I'm not sure a % of current celiac's would be representative and probably won't be until doctors are more open to making a celiac diagnosis.

I will say that from reading this list and talking to other celiac's it sure seems like a lot of us have other issues going on. I have allergies and eosinophilic gastroenteritis.

But I wish there was a lot more study on autoimmune system disorders.

Susan

I have asthma and thyroid. My arthritis symptoms pretty much went into remission when I went gluten free.

Sometimes, I wonder if the problem is that so many celiac's go undiagnosed for so long, then other autoimmune diseases work their way into the process. Many times, other diseases are diagnosed before celiac disease has been found. Some say, if the celiac disease is diagnosed soon enough, then possibly the other autoimmune diseases just will not happen. Personally, I do not think they know enough yet about celiac disease to know what is what yet!

I have Raynauds and Peripheral Neuropathy, along with Celiac Disease. As of yet, the doctors haven't figured anything else out, so who knows.

Deb

Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!

"The calm river of your life approaches the rocky chute of the rapids - flow on through. You are the same water. The rocks cannot hurt you. Remember, now and then, that you are the water and not the boat. Flow on!

One in eight type one diabetics are also celiac. Again, I strongly suspect that the number is higher, but many diabetics have celiac without knowing it.

Emily

diagnosed type one diabetic 1973

diagnosed celiac winter 2005

diagnosed hypothyroid spring 2006

But healthy and happy! 253.gif

11 year-old Son had negative blood panel, but went on gluten-free diet of his own volition to see if his concentration would improve, his temper abate, and his energy level would increase. Miraculous response!

The great are great only because we are on our knees.

--Pierre Joseph Proudhon (1809-1865)

There is an association of celiac disease with various other autoimmune diseases. However, not all people with autoimmune diseases have celiac disease, but a great many with celiac disease (especially, untreated celiac disease) go on to develop other autoimmune diseases, perhaps because of the continual assault of gluten on the immune system, thus weakening it. I've read many places that one excellent reason to take even the POSSIBILITY of celiac disease seriously is to eliminate gluten and thus be in a better position to prevent another autoimmune disease from developing in the first place. Once something else crops up, such as arthritis, eliminating gluten may reduce symptoms but you are less likely to get rid of it entirely. Prevention is a much better option.

Also, there are many people with autoimmune diseases whose symptoms are greatly reduced by eliminating gluten and dairy, even though they aren't celiac and don't have the genes.

The more I read, the more evidence points to the general and widespread evils of gluten on our systems. I really believe that everyone, celiac or not, should never eat gluten. However, I doubt if it will be in any of our lifetimes that the medical community accepts this conclusion. And even if they did, I'll bet most people wouldn't give up gluten.

CAROLE

-------------

Enterolab 1/2006

IgA & tTg Positive

DQ2-0201 (celiac) and DQ1-0604 (gluten)

Casein IgA positive

Mom has 2 celiac genes

Both kids have a celiac gene.

Lots of celiac disease in my family, both sides.

Rheumatoid Arthritis and Crohn's disease here...

Patrice

retired Respiratory Therapist

currently Amateur Poker Player

" You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else.... Albert Einstein"

Yep....my 8 year old was diagnosed with psoriasis two years ago, but the rashes started when he was three. He tested negative for Celiac, but he's gluten/casein free anyway. The diet hasn't really helped his psoriasis. I guess like with any other auto immune disorder, once the trigger has been pulled, the damage is done. But I'm hoping the diet will at least slow his psoriasis down, or hopefully prevent some of the major complications that can arise from it.

It's a running joke that just like our family, even our immune systems are dysfunctional, lol. On my mom's side of the family, we have colitis, chrons and rheumatoid arthritis.

Tamara, mom to 4 gluten & casein free kiddos!

Age 11 - Psoriasis

Age 8- dx'd Celiac March 2005

Age 6- gluten-free/cf, allergy related seizures

Age 4 - reflux, resolved with gluten-free/cf

sorry, double post.

Tamara, mom to 4 gluten & casein free kiddos!

Age 11 - Psoriasis

Age 8- dx'd Celiac March 2005

Age 6- gluten-free/cf, allergy related seizures

Age 4 - reflux, resolved with gluten-free/cf

I have Pernicious Anemia

~~Angie~~

DX'd With Narcolepsy In 1995

Dx'ed With Celiac On 12-18-06

Positive Biopsy On 2-1-07

DX'd With Pernicious Anemia 4-24-07

Daughter Has DH, so I suspect she also has Celiac!!

"If Alcoholism was Celiac Disease they would make us drink ourselves into kidney failure before they would admit we had the disease"