Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MELINE

How Long For The Gluten Reaction To Show Up?

Question......If I get glutened today is it possible that the reaction comes in 2,3 or more days?????? I had 4 slices of bread this morning and I am still feeling ok (biopsy on Friday and doc said I should have some gluten for the biopsy to be positive, yes I know that it is not going to change anything but just in case...) I am gluten sensitive, it is for sure, I just do not get it why today nothing happened.....

Celiac September 2007

Graves disease June 2008

Candida overgrowth / started treatment November 2008

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I never know when my reaction will come. I could run to the bathroom with severe D within twenty minutes, or it could suddenly hit me the next day or the day after.

So, just because you haven't reacted yet, you likely still will. On the other hand, some people stop having obvious reactions once they are healed. I guess you'll soon find out which category you fall in!

I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Join eNewsletter

thank you ursa...I guess I haven't healed yet cause 3 weeks earlier eczema started almost right away....But now nothing like this....any way

Last question: the only wierd thing I had today, 2 hours after eating bread, was a strong pain in the chest that felt like it was my heart. It was a pain I remember well from my gluten period. Is that a symptom????

Thanks again ursa...

Celiac September 2007

Graves disease June 2008

Join eNewsletter

Last question: the only wierd thing I had today, 2 hours after eating bread, was a strong pain in the chest that felt like it was my heart. It was a pain I remember well from my gluten period. Is that a symptom????

I get symptoms after about 2 hours--that hasn't changed in almost 3 years. The actual symptoms that I get have changed, though. The pain in your chest is most likely reflux--I had that so bad at one point that I went through cardiac testing to make sure it wasn't my heart.

It's not unusual for some people's symptoms to hit a day or two later--or in as little as a few minutes. It's so individual.

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

Join eNewsletter

The pain in your chest is most likely reflux--I had that so bad at one point that I went through cardiac testing to make sure it wasn't my heart.

......so it is a symptom??? I guess you say it actually is....And yes today I thought I had a heart attack.....

Celiac September 2007

Graves disease June 2008

Join eNewsletter

......so it is a symptom??? I guess you say it actually is....And yes today I thought I had a heart attack.....

Yes, reflux is most definately a symptom :)

Patti

Join eNewsletter

HI,

I would like to add something about the chest pain. I had a horrible one last night, but mine is not reflux. Though I believe for many it is. I have skeletal issues. My bones go out of place all the time. I joke that I wish I was married to a chiropractor. I do believe this is glutten intolarant related. When I get my terrible chest pains, it is because my breast plate is out of place. It hurts in the middle of my chest, in my back, and pulls on my lower ribs. The only relief I get is to lay down straight on my back and push on the upper part of my breast plate. With reflux, laying down makes it worse. For me sitting up makes my pain worse.

Just wanted to add another option.

gluten . . . Kiss my grits!

pork and beef free- 1994

wheat free or wheat light- 2003

gluten free- January 2008

Join eNewsletter

HI,

I would like to add something about the chest pain. I had a horrible one last night, but mine is not reflux. Though I believe for many it is. I have skeletal issues. My bones go out of place all the time. I joke that I wish I was married to a chiropractor. I do believe this is glutten intolarant related. When I get my terrible chest pains, it is because my breast plate is out of place. It hurts in the middle of my chest, in my back, and pulls on my lower ribs. The only relief I get is to lay down straight on my back and push on the upper part of my breast plate. With reflux, laying down makes it worse. For me sitting up makes my pain worse.

Just wanted to add another option.

Really? Is that thing happening????? Sounds painful.....I hope you don't get it very often....

Options are more than welcome!!! But I guess what you describing is not my case....Just guessing...

Celiac September 2007

Graves disease June 2008

Join eNewsletter

Yes, reflux is most definately a symptom :)

sorry sorry sorry sorry if I've tired you.....Pls can you explain me the meaning of "most definately" ??? It means "sure 110%" or it means "very possible"?

sorry....not my natal language...

Celiac September 2007

Graves disease June 2008

Join eNewsletter

sorry sorry sorry sorry if I've tired you.....Pls can you explain me the meaning of "most definately" ??? It means "sure 110%" or it means "very possible"?

sorry....not my natal language...

:D I don't mind at all. When I say "most definately" I mean that yes--reflux is a symptom of a gluten reaction. It's also a symptom of Celiac--many people have it before being diagnosed and it improves when on the gluten free diet.

The pain in your chest is probably from either acid from your stomach or gas that shoots upward. I tend to have gas with a gluten reaction that shoots upward--I get pain and pressure in the center of my chest and also pressure at the base of my throat.

Sorry I wasn't more clear before, if there's anything else you would like to ask, please do :)

Patti

Join eNewsletter

:D I don't mind at all. When I say "most definately" I mean that yes--reflux is a symptom of a gluten reaction. It's also a symptom of Celiac--many people have it before being diagnosed and it improves when on the gluten free diet.

The pain in your chest is probably from either acid from your stomach or gas that shoots upward. I tend to have gas with a gluten reaction that shoots upward--I get pain and pressure in the center of my chest and also pressure at the base of my throat.

Sorry I wasn't more clear before, if there's anything else you would like to ask, please do :)

!!!!! :D You are helping me a lot! Now I understand completely but thank you for making me feel free to ask if there was anything not clear!

The pain in the chest you are describing is exactly what I felt today. And that pressure at the base of the throat....Oh yes it is horrible....so that is a symptom...Good to know I pobably not gonna have my first heart attack......

Celiac September 2007

Graves disease June 2008

Join eNewsletter

My doctor told me that I would need to have at least one gluten filled meal every day for a month before the biopsy otherwise I could get an false negative. Even though a lot of people get stomach symptoms within minutes of ingesting gluten, it takes weeks for the damage to the villi to become bad enough to be noticeable on a biopsy. Had you been gluten free for long before this?

Australian

Gluten Free Since mid March 2008

As well as gluten I can't eat: cantaloupe, honeydew, dairy and most nuts and seeds. I also seem to have a problem with a lot of fruits and vegetables but only when they are raw.

Join eNewsletter

!!!!! :D You are helping me a lot! Now I understand completely but thank you for making me feel free to ask if there was anything not clear!

The pain in the chest you are describing is exactly what I felt today. And that pressure at the base of the throat....Oh yes it is horrible....so that is a symptom...Good to know I pobably not gonna have my first heart attack......

Its also quite treatable (short term).

You possibly keep coughing too (or clearing your throat). Pre-diagnosis I had this so bad I was breathing in so much stomach acid it paralysed my lungs.

Omneparazole will stop the acid (short term) and make sure your bed is elevated at the head end (A few thick books under the matress etc.)

Acid reflux can feel like a heart attack ...the good news is its not. If you can get the omneparazole then it will relieve the stomach and this will give you some rest.

Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. (JC, De Bello Gallico Liber III/XVIII)

Join eNewsletter

My doctor told me that I would need to have at least one gluten filled meal every day for a month before the biopsy otherwise I could get an false negative. Even though a lot of people get stomach symptoms within minutes of ingesting gluten, it takes weeks for the damage to the villi to become bad enough to be noticeable on a biopsy. Had you been gluten free for long before this?

At first I didn't know that and then I've started a topic in the forum about my biopsy and everyone kept telling me that after 4 months of gluten-free diet there is no way I could ever have a positive biopsy with just 2 days of some gluten. I told my doc and he said he believes that even with 2 days he is going to see it......I trust the forum's experience but I had some gluten today and yesterday just in case and that's all and I am going to have the biopsy not to see if I am a celiac but to find out why I keep feeling nausea and having pain. He said that even with negative biopsy he is definately sure I am a celiac because of the eczema and the other extremely severe symptoms that immediately or within few days disappear when I go gluten-free.

So you are confirming once more what everybody told me and I thank you for doing that. :)

Celiac September 2007

Graves disease June 2008

Join eNewsletter

Its also quite treatable (short term).

You possibly keep coughing too (or clearing your throat). Pre-diagnosis I had this so bad I was breathing in so much stomach acid it paralysed my lungs.

Omneparazole will stop the acid (short term) and make sure your bed is elevated at the head end (A few thick books under the matress etc.)

Acid reflux can feel like a heart attack ...the good news is its not. If you can get the omneparazole then it will relieve the stomach and this will give you some rest.

Thanks for the treating advise..I am ok now but I will find some omneparazole to have in my pharmacy box just in case.And yes yes yes I was coughing all day long yesterday..... :rolleyes:

Celiac September 2007

Graves disease June 2008

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter