This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Ahh! I Dont Want To Starve!

LuvMoosic4life

LuvMoosic4life Collaborator

So I moved into my brothers house for the summer from college since it is near where I am working for the summer. well, it happens to be in the middle of nowhere and pretty much farmland. I went to the main supermarket, which is like 20 mins away and they dont even have an organic isle!!! No gluten-free slections whatsoever! (of course whole foods/fruits veggies and rice chex and your general "normal" things that are mainstream and gluten-free, but thats it.) I kinda figured they wouldnt have anything, but now I'm stuck in a crappy situation:

I'm working all summer and start this week. I pretty much cant spend anymore money until next week (thats if my mom helps me out then, I hate having to ask b/c she has already helped me out with gas money just to get to work until I get a paycheck. I DO NOT come from a rich family so I feel really bad when family gives me money)

I have to bring my own lunches to work and all I really have right now that I can bring is apples, brown rice pasta, chicken, tuna, brown rice, and I bought celery and carrots which I can dip in peanut butter (its smart balance, gluten-free) I suppose I have enough to last me until I can drive to where my mom lives where there is a wegmans with a whole GLuten free isle. I made pasta salad with chicken miced in to bring with me for a few days, but I dont want to eat that all summer, and honesly not for a whole week haha

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to buy for when I can get to a bigger store? Something that I can take to work that will be nutritional, at least have some protien and preferably doesnt have to be heated (there is a microwave there, but I really am against microwaves.) there is also a fridge. I am also avoiding dairy and keeping my soy intake very smalll B/C too much will bother me.

THANKS!!!! I pretty much wanted to cry in the store today!!!! Now I'm realizing how hard this can be, especially when you're a broke college student and work is 25 miles away (open road, but still) with gas prices going up to $4 dollars a gallon!!!!!! AHHH@!!!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

MDRB Explorer

Make Indian, Asian and Mexican foods your best friends :)

Rice is cheap and as long as you can find fresh vegetables and meats you will be fine.

I am also studying so I can relate to your financial situation. A lot of people say that the amount of money that they spend of food has increase since going gluten free. I have found the opposite to be true, I don't usually buy the processed gluten free foods and eat mostly fresh and my food bill has actually reduced.

If you an buy rice, fresh veggies, meat, canned or dried beans/pulses plus onion, garlic, ginger and maybe a gluten free curry powder or soy sauce - there are lots of combinations that you can make from these things that are gluten free and dairy free if you are trying that.

If you manage to get to a larger town, it might be a good idea to stock up on basic spices to help make your meals more exciting.

Good luck, I hope that you find some things you can eat.

GlutenGalAZ Enthusiast

What about salad? You can put chicken or tuna in. White Corn tortillas (Mission brand is gluten free) you can make wraps wtih the chicken or tuna. Also peanut butter and jelly on the tortillas. Fruit salad.

If you don't like mircrowaves, then what about a thermos sometime down the road?

I can't think of many things for now without a larger store and not wanting to use a mircrowave.

I like to heat up taquitos and cut them up in a salad. I make my own bread at home (gluten free panty sandwich bread is really good and easy) and bring sandwiches to work with gluten free past salad or gluten free chips.

It is hard in the beginning but once you catch on to what you can eat and how many normal type of foods are gluten free (no gluten ingredients) it does get easier. If you like spaghetti Classico sauce is gluten free. Dinty Moore Beef Stew is gluten free and Stagg Chili is also gluten free.

Good Luck.

Mom23boys Contributor

Can you order some stuff you like off of Amazon and save the trip? We have stores all around but by the time I load up the kids, travel there, try to find what I want and all that stuff; it is easier and cheaper to order.

thanks!

I cant order online because I have no money in my checking out and I dont have a credit card :huh:

I was wondering about rice though. I always eat brown rice,I buy the Lundberg brand in the organic section that is gluten-free. I used to eat instant brown rice that wasnt labeled gluten-free, but it did bother me on occasion ( I guess it depended on the box, sometimes it did sometimes it didnt) Are there any instant rices or even regular rice that are gluten-free and can be bought at any normal store? And I didnt think of salad! i guess I stay away from it b/c it is hard for me to digest and burp it up for hours after, but I'll have it on occasion....

thanks!

I cant order online because I have no money in my checking out and I dont have a credit card :huh:

I was wondering about rice though. I always eat brown rice,I buy the Lundberg brand in the organic section that is gluten-free. I used to eat instant brown rice that wasnt labeled gluten-free, but it did bother me on occasion ( I guess it depended on the box, sometimes it did sometimes it didnt) Are there any instant rices or even regular rice that are gluten-free and can be bought at any normal store? And I didnt think of salad! i guess I stay away from it b/c it is hard for me to digest and burp it up for hours after, but I'll have it on occasion....

I guess I should mention also that I know all rice is gluten-free, but many are made in a factory that does Wheat and say it may contain traces, so I was just worrie about CC.

home-based-mom Contributor

Open Original Shared Link (a Kraft product) is fine. Their web site has a lot of info and links to even more info. It actually has more info than I realized! :lol:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

thank you!

cupid Newbie

Hi, Just a thought but if you have a library nearby maybe you could find a gluten-free cook book to get more ideas. A friend of mine who also has celiac highly recommends the Annalise Roberts cook book. Good luck!

missy'smom Collaborator

I posted three of my favorite portable salad recipes on this thread. They all hold up well. You could add some chicken to the Spinach and Apple salad. I don't remember if I added this note on the original post but put the apple slices in a little lemon juice diluted with water to keep them from browning. They can be drained and tossed on the salad then.

Open Original Shared Link

GlutenGalAZ Enthusiast
Are there any instant rices or even regular rice that are gluten-free and can be bought at any normal store?

I get Uncle Ben's Fast & Natural Whole Grain Instant Brown Rice -- says Gluten Free on the Back.

Candy Contributor

Vegetable stir fry is good,easy,and ofttimes affordable. But there is no easy answer-it's really worrisome.If you can find affordable veggie in and a good assortment,chop them and stir fry them (you'll have plenty left over,if you use several kninds of vegetables) I saute them in a mixture of butter and canola oil-I buy this stuff on sale most times or I wait tell it's on sale and eat bowels of popped corn,which I've been eating for years,even before I knew I had Coeliac). And meat if you eat it meat and vegetable makes me feel full-chicken legs are often affordable in the big city supermarkets,$2 for four big ones. And of course Rice . I'd guess you'd need a freezer. Buy any sale meats you like and veggies ,plus rice and popped corn..That's what I tend to eat-but I've never been far from home,on a major budget either.

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

I was going to say Wegmans, but I see you have been there. I always stock up when I go there. One good meal I got is Take 2 bags of boil in bag White Rice and next time you get to Wegmans, get their soup in the prepared foods section, it is Vermont White Cheddar Brocoli and is marked gluten free. Mix them together, it is a great side dish.

KimmyJ Rookie

I didn't read all the replies, so I apologize in advance if someone else has already made this suggestion:

I would ask to talk to the owner or manager of the supermarket and ask them to order some gluten-free stuff for you. Do some research before you talk to them about what you would like, and then explain your situation and ask them to dod the ordering for you. Many places are very happy to help customers with special needs. HTH!

Phyllis28 Apprentice

Beans and pototoes are also cheap, gluten free and easily available. One option is a bean salad to go with cold chicken for lunch. Also, you can look for receipes online to use dried beans for an even cheaper way to eat. I agree with the option to use a thermos if you don't want to use the microwave.

I was going to say Wegmans, but I see you have been there. I always stock up when I go there. One good meal I got is Take 2 bags of boil in bag White Rice and next time you get to Wegmans, get their soup in the prepared foods section, it is Vermont White Cheddar Brocoli and is marked gluten free. Mix them together, it is a great side dish.

AWESOME! Wegmans became my new best friend when I wen there a couple weeks ago and saw the isle with a sign above it that read "Gluten free" I think I nearly peed myself :lol:

thanks! thats actually where I'm going when i can get to civilization :)

I didn't read all the replies, so I apologize in advance if someone else has already made this suggestion:

I would ask to talk to the owner or manager of the supermarket and ask them to order some gluten-free stuff for you. Do some research before you talk to them about what you would like, and then explain your situation and ask them to dod the ordering for you. Many places are very happy to help customers with special needs. HTH!

thanks! i havent thought of that! I just might do that. I know bars do it with redbridge, order it for specific people that ask.

Beans and pototoes are also cheap, gluten free and easily available. One option is a bean salad to go with cold chicken for lunch. Also, you can look for receipes online to use dried beans for an even cheaper way to eat. I agree with the option to use a thermos if you don't want to use the microwave.

don't most beans have CC though? I've tried the dried beans and I react everytime...or mabye its just b/c they are a gassy food to begin with, but I also get the stomach gurgling a D. the bag I had said processed in a facility that produces wheat though....

Nancym Enthusiast

I don't eat processed foods at all and I don't starve somehow. :) The vast majority of the foods I eat never contained gluten so I don't need to find substitutes. Anyway, I'm not gloating, just trying to explain that there's lots of things to eat that are very healthy and naturally gluten free, if you want to consider changing your diet a little.

Phyllis28 Apprentice
don't most beans have CC though? I've tried the dried beans and I react everytime...or mabye its just b/c they are a gassy food to begin with, but I also get the stomach gurgling a D. the bag I had said processed in a facility that produces wheat though....

I use beans all the time without a problem, both canned and dried. I always look for canned beans with the least amount of ingredients. I have seen other posts where some people are intolerent of legums (beans). Beans are gluten free, they simply may not agree with you.

Also, the potatoes I mentioned can be made into potato salad using an Italian or oil and vinegar dressing instead of the usual mayonaise.

I don't eat processed foods at all and I don't starve somehow. :) The vast majority of the foods I eat never contained gluten so I don't need to find substitutes. Anyway, I'm not gloating, just trying to explain that there's lots of things to eat that are very healthy and naturally gluten free, if you want to consider changing your diet a little.

thanks. I actually dont eat too many processed foods. just gluten-free crackers or cookies on occasion as a treat. The only reason I wan to ge to a bigger store is for the gluten-free pasta, hot breakfast cereals and a snack that doesnt need refrigeration and that I can carry with me that is convenient in case I get hungry. I am very active and athletic so I try to eat a well balance of everything, I get hungry very easily after a few hours of not eating and will start feeling light headed... I prefer eating small things throughout the day.

What about salad? You can put chicken or tuna in. White Corn tortillas (Mission brand is gluten free) you can make wraps wtih the chicken or tuna. Also peanut butter and jelly on the tortillas. Fruit salad.

If you don't like mircrowaves, then what about a thermos sometime down the road?

I can't think of many things for now without a larger store and not wanting to use a mircrowave.

I like to heat up taquitos and cut them up in a salad. I make my own bread at home (gluten free panty sandwich bread is really good and easy) and bring sandwiches to work with gluten free past salad or gluten free chips.

It is hard in the beginning but once you catch on to what you can eat and how many normal type of foods are gluten free (no gluten ingredients) it does get easier. If you like spaghetti Classico sauce is gluten free. Dinty Moore Beef Stew is gluten free and Stagg Chili is also gluten free.

Good Luck.

thanks. I actually dont mind eating hot foods cold. My break at work is very short and I'm usually starving by the time I get to it so I could care less if my food is heated, especially something like gluten-free pasta and sauce or even rice. I'm a college student, so I'll eat just about anything inany way (gluten-free of course!:lol:

babysteps Contributor

one cheap, portable, good cold food with protein - boiled eggs!

I boil up 4 or 5 at a time, then eat for snacks - the ones you can buy at delis or supermarkets with pull dates are always dated out a week, I usually eat within a few days of cooking.

If you are new to boiling eggs (I know, it's always a joke), here is my favorite method:

Feel free to post your own favorite method!!

turn burner to high

put eggs in pan, cover with hot water (if water is really hot, best not to have it hit the eggs directly as you fill, they can crack)

add some vinegar if you want super easy-peeling eggs (like a 2 teaspoons?)

cover pot, put on burner

when water boils (about 2 minutes at my house), remove pot (still covered) from burner & turn off burner

set timer for: 6 minutes runny centers

6:20 slightly gooey centers

8:00 fully set centers but not dry

12:00 hard boiled, appropriate for egg salad or deviled eggs

When timer goes off, take eggs out and put them in a container of ice water to stop cooking

MDRB Explorer

A light bulb just went off in my head!

How are you at baking? You could make gluten free savory muffins! You would need to get to a larger store to stock up on the flours etc needed, but once you have those you can put just about anything into the muffin mix. My favorite savory muffins are spinach and feta, or tomato and cheese... oh and grated zucchini make them nice and moist (if you're into that ;) )

Hope this helps :)

shayesmom Rookie

I can relate to having to prepare meals on a fixed budget while juggling a busy schedule and not having local stores which carry gluten-free products. It can be a challenge, but it's not impossible.

One thing that you may want to consider as you start to earn more money is a checking account. From there you can get a debit card that acts as a credit card for your on-line purchases. That will also allow you to use PayPal for products. Sites like A.m.a.z.o.n or V.i.t.c.o.s.t can really help as far as stocking up on some essentials you can't make yourself. Or, you can look into buying those pre-paid credit cards sold at groceries, Walmart and gas stations.

Most stores send out weekly sales flyers in the mail. I shop sales and stock up. Things like whole fryer chickens, other meats, produce and chips are listed and with a bit of planning, you can eat very well for a minimal amount of money. For example, whole fryer chickens can go for as little as 79 cents per pound. That means a whole chicken can cost as little as $3 and you can get a lot of meals out of that. I often bake a chicken for dinner and serve with mashed potatoes and home-made gravy. Leftover mashed potatoes can be mixed with some freshly grated potatoes, some ground flax, chicken broth and a bit of grated onion and baking powder to make potato pancakes which can be frozen for breakfast or other meals. Leftover chicken can be used in chicken salad, chicken tacos/nachos and I sometimes use it with the leftover gravy, other veggies and serve over rice for another lunch/dinner option. Ground beef can be used for hamburgers, meatballs, meatloaf, cabbage rolls, tacos and plenty of other recipes. Frozen shrimp can be used for seafood pastas or even as a cocktail to go with lunch. If you can get your hands on some cashews, you can make a relatively good alfredo sauce that is dairy-free (and can be made soy-free).

Easy sides are fruit cups, nuts, dried fruits, veggies sticks with hummus, fresh fruit (you can blend extras into smoothies for breakfast).

Baking is definitely a must once you get more established. I've taken to pre-making single serving pizza crusts (use a cake pan instead of a pizza pan for a "personal pan" size) and I freeze them for later, quick meals. Once again, cashews can be used to make a "cheese" for the pizza, giving you a food option that is free of gluten, dairy, soy and eggs.

I also make mini-muffins: banana bread, zucchini bread and also Carol Fenster's breadstick recipe can be used in muffin pans. Those can be used to make "sandwiches". They don't take long to make and by using mini-muffin pans, you can stretch those more expensive gluten-free foods a lot further.

Also, soups are so easy to make and really do go far when packing a lunch. And thermoses are relatively inexpensive as well as easy to find. That will give you several more options to take along.

Depending on your housing situation, you may want to try a bit of container gardening as well. One cherry tomato plant can yield several dozen tomatoes over the summer. It's an investment that can cost less than a dollar, is easy to care for and you've got fresh tomatoes to go with your meals. It may seem silly, but these little things pay for themselves relatively quickly. ;)

For inspiration, you can also visit the parents board on this site and do a quick search for "bentos". Bentos are a great way to pack a whole food lunch that is appetizing, healthy and made with whole foods available anywhere.

Best of luck!

Archived