clarkje20

Rice Dream?

Rate this topic

Ok can somebody help me with the Rice dream???? It states on the box that its gluten free but people on here says its not and it contains barley??? So is Rice dream safe for celiacs?????

Hi.

Rice Dream is processed with a barley enzyme. I suppose for some that's too minor an amount of gluten. However, my daughter & I have personally gotten very sick 2x from it. Once was early in the diet when I didn't know and made french toast with it. The second time someone else made us cornbread with it not realizing. Now we use Pacific brand.

The legal standard for what can be called "gluten free" is not established at this point. The gluten in Rice Dream may be below the suggested 20ppm, which some consider a safe level of gluten for people with Celiac to consume.

http://celiacdisease.about.com/od/glutenfr...ng/a/FALCPA.htm

I dont see any barley enzyme in my rice dream. the ingredients in original are as follows:

Filtered water

organic brown rice

organic expeller pressed safflower and/or sunflower oil and/or canola oil

Tricalcium Phosphate

Sea Salt

Vitamin A Palmitate

Vitamin D2

Vitamin B12

Is anything in that gluten? I don't see anything.

I dont see any barley enzyme in my rice dream. the ingredients in original are as follows:

Filtered water

organic brown rice

organic expeller pressed safflower and/or sunflower oil and/or canola oil

Tricalcium Phosphate

Sea Salt

Vitamin A Palmitate

Vitamin D2

Vitamin B12

Is anything in that gluten? I don't see anything.

The barley enzyme is used in the processing of the milk, not added to it, so it doesn't have to be listed as an ingredient. It's always been prepared the same way, and the label used to disclose this--the label has changed but they still use the barley (I verified this with a phone call to the company). I reacted to it, as many others here. I'm sure that the amount is so low that many will also be able to tolerate it fine. :)

Ok that makes me MAD!!!!! I just called them too, and I got the same story! "barley is used in the processing and it's broken down in the cooking process, it has been tested and gluten is below detectable limits, but if you are very sensitive you might want to not use it" Well that is ASININE!!!! I just bought a whole thing of it at Costco and I used some for the first time this morning! I am taking it ALL BACK to costco and telling them why I won't be buying it again! Maybe they will get another kind of rice milk to carry. BOY I am just steamed, can you tell??? I am new to this celiac disease and when something says "GLUTEN FREE" I think it ought to be GLUTEN FREE and not "some amounts of gluten may be present but we don't think this counts!"

Ok that makes me MAD!!!!! I just called them too, and I got the same story! "barley is used in the processing and it's broken down in the cooking process, it has been tested and gluten is below detectable limits, but if you are very sensitive you might want to not use it" Well that is ASININE!!!! I just bought a whole thing of it at Costco and I used some for the first time this morning! I am taking it ALL BACK to costco and telling them why I won't be buying it again! Maybe they will get another kind of rice milk to carry. BOY I am just steamed, can you tell??? I am new to this celiac disease and when something says "GLUTEN FREE" I think it ought to be GLUTEN FREE and not "some amounts of gluten may be present but we don't think this counts!"

This is crazy so Im assuming that we should NOT trust or use anything that says gluten free!!! Cause it might still use something that we may get sick from..... uggg I guess eat ONLY pure form foods..... basic .... this is a death sentence.... how boring..... sorry for my negativity but holy cow.... i thought all this gluten free food was safe....

This is crazy so Im assuming that we should NOT trust or use anything that says gluten free!!! Cause it might still use something that we may get sick from..... ug I guess eat ONLY pure form foods..... basic .... this is a death sentence.... how boring..... sorry for my negativity but holy cow.... i thought all this gluten free food was safe....

I would recommend that you read this article:

http://www.celiac.com/articles/21655/1/How...ease/Page1.html

The progress I have seen over the past five years had been tremendous! And I expect that the next five will even exceed that.

If a product does not sit well with you, put it on your "don't go there again" list. Trust your instincts. And what may not work for you, might be okay for others. Sometimes you have to individualize your gluten free choices.

I am one that does NOT react to Rice Milk and can't wait for the egg nog rice dream to hit the shelves! :) I agree with Lisa that everyone is different especially with their level of sensitivity.

I agree that it should not be labeled gluten free, I also bought and had to return it after having a reaction, but I am very sensitive. I believe that even the smallest amount of gluten can harm you. I have been drinking Ryza Rice Milk, which is Gluten Free. Its really good and no Reaction.

I have recently purchased Hemp Milk and it taste great and is dairy free and gluten free with NO barley!!! Im sooo excited!!!

this is what i got from the company. I didn't realize the same company made so many different products (arrowhead mills, deboles, celestial). I'll be taking everything they say with a grain of salt now:

Thank you for taking the time to contact us regarding our Rice Dream Beverage. We strive to maintain the highest quality products and appreciate your patronage.

Analytical testing methods and detection limits have improved over the years. Recent testing shows that the Rice Dream Beverages, as well as the barley protein used to make the product, meet gluten free requirements. We have always maintained a conservative stance regarding gluten in the beverages. The same rigorous standards now allow us to declare them gluten free.

Thank you for your continued support. If we can be of further assistance, please feel free to contact us at 1-800-434-4246, Monday through Friday from 7AM - 5PM Mountain Time.

Sarah

Consumer Relations Representative

I don't care how little they think is safe. It should be disclosed. I'm so disgusted. People may say "Oh, I don't feel a reaction" but that does NOT mean that low-level damage is not occurring.

The percentage barley protein printed on the Rice Dream rice milk box I purchased is .002. I had a reaction.

I don't care how little they think is safe. It should be disclosed. I'm so disgusted. People may say "Oh, I don't feel a reaction" but that does NOT mean that low-level damage is not occurring.