This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Per A Request, Here Is A List Of What I Can And Can'T Eat

virginiagl

virginiagl Apprentice

Here is what I am not supposed to eat:

anything dairy

anything soy

anything beef

I am also allergic to or have intolerances to spinach, strawberries, artichokes, peas, corn, avacado, pork, and seafoods such as shellfish, salmon and tuna.

What I know for sure is safe for me to eat at this point in time is listed below:

chicken

rice

apples

blueberries

blackberries

bananas

kale

broccoli

squashes

tomatoes...but they can upset my stomach from time to time

potatoes

carrots

asparagus

green beans

sweet potatoes

eggs...questionable

Wow this is such a small list!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

psawyer Proficient

To me, it is interesting that the gluten grains do not appear in either list. :unsure: Are you required to be gluten-free?

Jestgar Rising Star

yams, sweet potatoes, bacon (turkey) and oranges. Or no oranges and instead add coconut milk and curry powder.

Buffalo?

Lamb?

Turkey?

Eggplant?

Turnips?

Rutabagas?

Baked spaghetti squash with smoked turkey, tomatoes, and snap peas chopped and sauteed into a sauce.

asparagus with toasted almonds and drizzled with peanut oil (or almond oil)

collard greens with peanut sauce

virginiagl Apprentice

I can't eat buffalo either and am allergic to peas.

and yes, I can't eat wheat gluten at all...I thought that was a given...I should have been more specific. oops!

virginiagl Apprentice

oh and turkey...I can have that too. Rutabagas...hrmmm. I don't even know what that is! lol

no to eggplant, not sure about turnips or lamb.

AKcollegestudent Apprentice

Stir-fries! Chicken + rice (or rice pasta by Tinkayada or rice noodles from the Asian aisle/supermarket) + any of the following: apples + broccoli + carrots + kale + any vegetable I am missing (I would recommend parsnips; they're flavorful and easy to pair with things) + sauce---not certain what would work for you, so here are suggestions: lemon juice; white wine; red wine; alcohol reduction sauce; herbs that go with the combination you put together; various juices (citrus based, apple based, pomegranate, blueberry, cranberry, raspberry, etc); anything else your mind comes up with!

AKcollegestudent Apprentice

Also! I know you vetoed buffalo, but are there other game meats that you could eat? I know for me, when my body wasn't handling any form of farmed animal, I was able to eat caribou, elk, and deer.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jestgar Rising Star

I can't eat buffalo either !

I'm curious how you know this. It's kind of an odd meat and most people wouldn't even consider it.

How 'bout ostrich?

Goat?

Mtndog Collaborator

What I know for sure is safe for me to eat at this point in time is listed below:

chicken

rice

apples

blueberries

blackberries

bananas

kale

broccoli

squashes

potatoes

carrots

asparagus

green beans

sweet potatoes

eggs...questionable

OK- here's some lunch ideas:

1. How about a spinach salad with grilled chicken, apple slices and dried cranberries. Dressing of your choice- maybe just a simple oil and vinegar.

2. many of those make GREAT stir-fry material. Heat up for leftovers.

3. Chicken and asparagus with Italian spices like basil and oregano over Tinkyada penne.

4. Fruit salad.

5. Chicken with squash and a baked potato.

6. Try Lundberg risotto mixes- delicious.

7.Risotto with veggies (can you do mushrooms?)

jackay Enthusiast

and yes, I can't eat wheat gluten at all...I thought that was a given...I should have been more specific. oops!

Have you tried teff, millet, amaranth, or quinoa? A bowl of cooked millet with some sea salt and melted butter reminds me of whole wheat bread. Red quinoa reminds me of wild rice. I haven't tried teff or amaranth yet but am going to give them a try soon.

I have a super long list of foods that I can't tolerate. I'm hoping as my tummy heals that I'll be able to add most of the gluten free foods back to my diet.

thleensd Enthusiast

I'm curious how you know this. It's kind of an odd meat and most people wouldn't even consider it.

How 'bout ostrich?

Goat?

Wow, really? Where would one acquire ostrich or goat meat? :mellow:

Jestgar Rising Star

Wow, really? Where would one acquire ostrich or goat meat? :mellow:

Some restaurants. Mediterranean grocery stores.

Nightingale8472 Rookie

Some restaurants. Mediterranean grocery stores.

My local grocery has ostrich fillets. A good butcher shop will order stuff like squab (pigeon), wild turkey, or almost any game meat you could possibly want, like elk, moose, or venison (deer). So far, the only thing my local butcher couldn't get that I wanted was kudu, and well, as kudu are found in Africa, I can't really fault him for that and I just wanted it because I was curious... I was thinking it might taste like pronghorn antelope, but then I found out that the pronghorn isn't actually an antelope (though quite tasty), so I'm still curious about kudu, and just found it here: Open Original Shared Link They don't say if they ship to the states, though. If so, there will be kudu burgers in my future. On gluten free buns, of course.

kareng Grand Master

There is an Emerile recipe on abcnew.com from a GMA apppearance. Easiest way to find it is to google Whoopis soup. It is a squash & apple soup I've been wanting to try. It has a tiny bit of milk in it but I think it would be good without. Also, 1 tbsp of cornstarch but maybe you could replace with potato flour.

Mtndog Collaborator

How about pork? It's not my favorite but husband loves pork chops so I make them often. I always buy organic. You could do a pork loin and have the leftovers for lunch.

Also cornish game hen (most grocery stores have it), duck, pheasant and turkey would give you more variety. Ground turkey can provide you with a burger- I wrap mine in lettuce.

For a treat (because everyone needs a treat sometimes!) Namaste makes great gluten-free/df/soy free brownie and blondie mixes. To die for really. They make BIG batches that you can freeze and use as you want. I get it at a local health food store or Whole Foods.

Is this brainstorming helping you come up with ideas?

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

Here is what I am not supposed to eat:

anything dairy

anything soy

anything beef

I am also allergic to or have intolerances to spinach, strawberries, artichokes, peas, corn, avacado, pork, and seafoods such as shellfish, salmon and tuna.

chicken

rice

apples

blueberries

blackberries

bananas

kale

broccoli

squashes

potatoes

carrots

asparagus

green beans

sweet potatoes

eggs...questionable

Your issues are time and variety, right? So here are a few suggestions.

Drizzle large piles of carrots with some maple syrup and cinnamon and bake covered (350-375). They take forever to bake but they're delicious cold and they keep for a long time cooked, so you can make 3 lbs at a time for all week for the both of you.

Cut sweet potatoes into 1/2 to 1 inch chunks, toss in a ziploc bag with olive oil, salt and pepper and roast in oven (350-375. Also delicious cold. You can do this with regular white potatoes, but those are not so great cold. You can store cut potatoes in water up to twelve hours if you want a nice breakfast in a hurry, just toss and bake while you're getting ready.

Try and use as much winter squash as possible. It's filling, easy, and delicious by itself without any seasoning or butter. For super easy squash, just throw it whole on a cookie sheet (with edges) and bake til a long knife sinks through easily. It's super easy to take a squash apart and skin it once it's baked, much easier than doing it before you cook. Any combo of different winter squashes, sweet potato, and carrot will taste wonderful mashed, you can mix and match. Also stores well, and is very easy to make lots at once. I'll make a whole sheet of them and store mashed. Maple syrup is again a good flavoring here.

Cook brown rice in chicken broth in large batches for sides all week, tastes really good and adds protein.

Chicken thighs, skin on- cover in herbs and spices, bake at 350 just until cooked through. We call it forest floor chicken, the meat tastes very good cold too if you cut it up before refrigerating.

Can you have honey and mustard? Stir 1/3 honey to 2/3 mustard and pour over boneless chicken, roast at 375 til cooked through, I check for doneness as soon as possible to keep from drying out. My boyfriend LOVES honey mustard chicken. This works well on boneless turkey too.

You can marinate large batches of veggies in your own marinade and add beans for a cold salad.

I'll keep thinking and try to come up with more suggestions.

virginiagl Apprentice

Thank you! Yes these are all great ideas. :)

And as for how I know I am not supposed to eat buffalo? Well Bison is one of the foods listed on the list they gave me from the lab and isn't Bison the same thing as buffalo? I am pretty sure pork wasn't on the list. And I find it odd that Bison would be on that list too and not pork. I can't imagine what would be in bison that would be worse than what a farm animal eats that could affect me. Who knows. I am brand new to all of this food intolerance stuff and am still confused.

It irks me that most of the gluten-free products are made from stuff that are heavy allergens such as corn, potatoes, and soy.

Mtndog Collaborator

Check out these products:

Open Original Shared Link

Substitute one cup of our Perfect Flour Blend for one cup of wheat flour in your favorite everyday recipes.

Ingredients:

Sweet brown rice flour, tapioca flour, arrowroot flour, sorghum flour and xanthan gum

Open Original Shared Link

and Open Original Shared Link

Nightingale8472 Rookie

Thank you! Yes these are all great ideas. :)

And as for how I know I am not supposed to eat buffalo? Well Bison is one of the foods listed on the list they gave me from the lab and isn't Bison the same thing as buffalo? I am pretty sure pork wasn't on the list. And I find it odd that Bison would be on that list too and not pork. I can't imagine what would be in bison that would be worse than what a farm animal eats that could affect me. Who knows. I am brand new to all of this food intolerance stuff and am still confused.

It irks me that most of the gluten-free products are made from stuff that are heavy allergens such as corn, potatoes, and soy.

Yes, bison is what's commonly sold as "buffalo" here in the US. Buffalo is a misnomer, as there are no real Buffalo in North America. Buffalo are native to Africa and Asia. I'm guessing bison are on your list because bison and buffalo belong to the family bovidae, and so do cattle, and beef is on your list of bad foods.

jackay Enthusiast

virginiagl,

How did you find your intolerances and allergies? Was it trial and error or testing? What symptoms do you have?

I found out about my food intolerances from blood work. I am avoiding the foods that I am intolerant to but still am having issues of insomnia and gas. I didn't have much of a gas problem before going gluten free.

My doctor wants me on a four day rotation diet. It is hard to do that with limited food choices.

virginiagl Apprentice

Hi Jackay in answer to your question, I had blood work done.

T.H. Community Regular

Just based on your list of things to eat, I figured I'd ask something! Are you having any problems at all, now, or do you feel healthy now?

The reason I ask is that I didn't see any foods on your list that provided iodine, but when I was told that I had to stay away from corn, they told me I had to stay away from iodized salt, also, as that is often contaminated with cornstarch. So eating some 'Dulce' seaweed, little bits of it, is my only source of iodine these days. I figured I'd ask in case 1) your doc hasn't given you that information or 2) you might have a better source of iodine that you could share with me, LOL. Because the seaweed taste is just yuck. :-P

I think staying away from all the corn contamination has been harder than staying away from gluten, don't you think?

Archived