Rate this topic

I figured out a great plan for me. I make deviled eggs and always keep them on hand. Protein, fills ya up, taste good, very handy.

Only one problem, the way I learned to make them is with dry mustard and vinegar, sugar, paprika, etc.

Vinegar doesn't have gluten does it? Only malt vinegar, right? I have looked on the net for dry mustard and can't find a thing about it!

Me and my eggs thank you.

I figured out a great plan for me. I make deviled eggs and always keep them on hand. Protein, fills ya up, taste good, very handy.

Only one problem, the way I learned to make them is with dry mustard and vinegar, sugar, paprika, etc.

Vinegar doesn't have gluten does it? Only malt vinegar, right? I have looked on the net for dry mustard and can't find a thing about it!

Connie - ya gotta read the labels. Most of the "southern" ingredients are fine.

You might want to think about buying Cecelia's Market Place Gluten Free Shopping Guide - until you learn the label reading thing.

Watch the paprika, I've read that unless it's labeled "organic" it's often been mixed with wheat-based stablizers. If you buy McCormicks single spices they are 100% pure, so look for dry mustard from McCormicks too. Here's a note I found regarding McCormick spices and their commitment to label any kind of gluten:

http://www.theglutenfreelife.com/articles/mccormick-spices-as-of-08292007/

Oh, yeah--I've been glutened plenty of times by paprika! Be careful!

I have never seen a spice that had "wheat" as an anti caking ingredient. Most,if necessary, will use Silicon Dioxide:

The chemical compound silicon dioxide, also known as silica (from the Latin silex), is an oxide of silicon with a chemical formula of SiO2 and has been known for its hardness since antiquity. Silica is most commonly found in nature as sand or quartz, as well as in the cell walls of diatoms. Silica is the most abundant mineral in the Earth's crust.

Never ever had a problem with paprika or found wheat in it. If it does have wheat, the wheat MUST by U.S. law be listed. If there's no wheat listed, it doesn't have it.

Other than a few specialized marinades or spice mixes (which ALWAYS list the wheat), this thing about putting wheat in spices as an anti-caking ingredient is nothing more than a celiac urban legend. The wheat flour would change the taste of the spice AND it would alter the way the dish cooks. It makes no sense.

richard

I didn't end up using the paprika. I did use the dry mustard. Then my feet went numb then I got dizzy and I've been in the bathroom since. And I have a headache So, yeah, no dry mustard for me.

I dont' know what brand it is, because it's in a spice jar and I don't remember what I originally bought.

I didn't end up using the paprika. I did use the dry mustard. Then my feet went numb then I got dizzy and I've been in the bathroom since. And I have a headache So, yeah, no dry mustard for me.

I dont' know what brand it is, because it's in a spice jar and I don't remember what I originally bought.

Connie, did you use a fresh jar of mayo or one that has been used by gluten eaters on their sandwiches?

Look on your bottle of dry mustard. Do you see wheat listed? (sorry, you did answer that)

Also, it take time to heal enough that you can notice a specific glutening. Often in the beginning, all foods can be problematic, gluten or not.

It is possible that your spices are cross contaminated if you are still using the same ones you had before going gluten free or the company is a shared facility and cross contamination happened in the factory.

Even "gluten free" spices can be made in a facility with, or on shared lines with products made with gluten/wheat. The more sensitive among us can and do react to such cross contamination.

My mayo is new. I threw away most everything in my whole kitchen. 10-12 bags of stuff. But, yeap, I didn't even think about thost spices at all.....

I can not eat most deviled eggs because of the mayo. Most mayo is made with soybean oil. Anything with soy (even the oil) gives me a headache as soon as I eat it. I've heard you can make your own mayo with light olive oil but I have yet to try it.