This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Headaches

windee

windee Rookie

I have been on the diet now since Nov 27th. I have a constant headache. I have had them for a few months now they are getting worse. What is safe to take?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient

I have been on the diet now since Nov 27th. I have a constant headache. I have had them for a few months now they are getting worse. What is safe to take?

I use either Extra Strength Tylenol or Extra Strength Bufferin.

Did your headache start after you went gluten-free?

tarnalberry Community Regular

Depends entirely on what is causing the headache. If it's blood sugar issues, neck tension, vascular issues... Any idea what's causing them?

FooGirlsMom Rookie

Hi - I feel for you. I had a mild migraine the first week I was on gluten-free. I found that Ex Strength Tylenol or Excedrin Migraine knocked it out (well..at least enough to survive) :blink:

The headache should go away soon. The one thing I would recommend that you do NOT take is Ibuprofen (Advil). It has a GI effect on the body and can upset your stomach & intestines - something you don't want with Celiac or gluten-free intolerance as your bowels tend to go a bit nutty in the beginning.

You are probably detoxing esp. if your diet is really healthy compared to before. Going gluten-free usually means you have fewer preservative and additives coursing through your system. You're probably purging. Getting enough fluid -esp. pure water should help a little.

Try to take it easy for another week, if you can, and don't do too much. Your body is trying to heal.

Hang in there,

FooGirlsMom

windee Rookie

They did start a little after I started the diet. My face swelling has gone down which was always blamed on my allergies. I was kind of happy to be diagnosed finally and know what so many systems were from! So much was blamed on allergies and the change in life. I went on feeling awful for years. I knew I could not get along with bread and other foods. I still do not feel that well since starting on Nov 27th. I got to the point I could do nothing and am very depressed and anxiety. I am on meds for both. I am going to take Tylenol right now!! Thank you

• 7 years later...
Teliac92 Newbie

Hi, 

I was diagnosed as a Celiac about 9 years ago and throughout those 9 years, I would occasionally eat wheat with no symptoms. At the beginning of May, 2018 I started experiencing daily brain fog and not knowing wheat could be the cause I continued to eat wheat. On June 28, 2018 I drank a beer and had the worst headache I have ever experienced. Ever since that beer I have been getting daily headaches 24/7 that get worst at the same time every day at 1:30 PM. I have been on a strict gluten free diet since June 29 only eating eggs in the morning and chicken with spinach for lunch and dinner with fruit. I have not had dairy, corn oats or soy. Therefore, I’m still getting daily headaches and was wondering how long it will take being on a strict gluten free diet for them to go away?

Thank you. 

GFinDC Veteran

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

beach4ever Newbie

I had horrible headache for years. I found out it was the oxalates in food causing it. You should look into oxalates. Most information out there discusses the relationship with kidney stones, but they are slowly learning how toxic oxalates can be for some people. And especially how it can affect every organ of the body. I am a nurse and this has been a life saver for me. Eating some of the "best" nutritional foods is the worst for hyperoxaluria people. Check it out! 

knitty kitty Grand Master

I found this article very interesting.

The role of nutrients in the pathogenesis and treatment of migraine headaches

Open Original Shared Link

Headaches may be a symptom of nutritional deficiencies...Celiac disease can cause nutritional deficiencies because of malabsorption.  

Hope this helps.

Posterboy Mentor
On 8/31/2018 at 3:04 PM, Teliac92 said:

Ever since that beer I have been getting daily headaches

Teliac92,

Here is a good thread on headaches/migraines.

https://www.celiac.com/forums/topic/122559-vision-issues/?tab=comments#comment-996337

Knitty Kitty has also provided you a good link! on Vitamins/minerals that might help.

Here is a good link to entitled "Vitamin Supplementation as Possible Prophylactic Treatment against Migraine with Aura and Menstrual Migraine"

I hope this is helpful but it is not medical advice.

2 Timothy 2: 7 “Consider what I say; and the Lord give thee understanding in all things” this included.

Posterboy by the grace of God,

Posterboy Mentor
On 9/3/2018 at 8:36 PM, beach4ever said:

I had horrible headache for years. I found out it was the oxalates in food causing it. You should look into oxalates. Most information out there discusses the relationship with kidney stones, but they are slowly learning how toxic oxalates can be for some people. And especially how it can affect every organ of the body. I am a nurse and this has been a life saver for me. Eating some of the "best" nutritional foods is the worst for hyperoxaluria people. Check it out! 

beach4ever,

B6 and Magnesium is important for oxalate stones.

see this research about the topic entitled "Primary and secondary hyperoxaluria: Understanding the enigma".

In this research B6 is called aka Pyridoxine.

Also see this research  Open Original Shared Link

showing how Magnesium can help kidney stones entitled

"High dietary magnesium intake decreases hyperoxaluria in patients with nephrolithiasis"

Magnesium helps so many things if only more people would take it.

They concluded quoting

CONCLUSION:

"Increasing magnesium intake was associated with decreasing hyperoxaluria in this population of patients with stone formation. Our findings showed that high magnesium intake might be required to observe clinically significant effects from magnesium."

Magnesium is best taken in the Magnesium Citrate or Magnesium Glycinate form.

Magnesium 200mg Citrate with each meal or morning and evening (again with meals) which ever is easiest works for most people.

2 Timothy 2: 7 “Consider what I say; and the Lord give thee understanding in all things” this included.

cyclinglady Grand Master
On 8/31/2018 at 1:04 PM, Teliac92 said:

Hi, 

I was diagnosed as a Celiac about 9 years ago and throughout those 9 years, I would occasionally eat wheat with no symptoms. At the beginning of May, 2018 I started experiencing daily brain fog and not knowing wheat could be the cause I continued to eat wheat. On June 28, 2018 I drank a beer and had the worst headache I have ever experienced. Ever since that beer I have been getting daily headaches 24/7 that get worst at the same time every day at 1:30 PM. I have been on a strict gluten free diet since June 29 only eating eggs in the morning and chicken with spinach for lunch and dinner with fruit. I have not had dairy, corn oats or soy. Therefore, I’m still getting daily headaches and was wondering how long it will take being on a strict gluten free diet for them to go away?

Thank you. 

While your severe headaches could be related to your untreated disease, it could be something else.    Please get to your doctor.  

Posterboy Mentor

Teliac92,

Cyclinglady is correct.  Migraines can be a serious condition.

I think you asked in another thread about Magnesium.  Not all magnesium's are equal.

I highly recommend Magnesium Citrate with meals or Magnesium Glycinate they are both well absorbed.

Magnesium won't get rid of a Migraine when you are having one it has be taken regularly too do any good.

But there is good research about B-2 Riboflavin possibly being used prophylaxlly (to prevent) a migraine.

Here is the B-2 research entitled "High-dose riboflavin treatment is efficacious in migraine prophylaxis: an open study in a tertiary care centre."

as far as the prevalence of migraine headaches in celiac's it is about 1 in 3.

Here is the research entitled "Prevalence of migraine in patients with celiac disease and inflammatory bowel disease."

Often there is no silver bullet but a shotgun (more than one)  approach on supplements is needed.  Like a B-complex, Magnesium and Vitamin D.  If your having trouble absorbing one nutrient you likely be low in many.

See this heathline article about migraines.

there is good research to indicate Vitamin D, Magnesium and B-2 aka Riboflavin can help migraines.

2 Tim 2:7 “Consider what I say; and the Lord give thee understanding in all things” this included.

Teliac92 Newbie

Been taking 250mg chelated magnesium pills three times a day for the past two days and the euphoria is unreal. Haven’t felt euphoria in over two month literally made me cry I was so happy! 

Thank you so much Posterboy and everyone on this forum for the advice. 

Archived