lpellegr

Bitten By Canned Crab

Rate this topic

I got glutened, and the only suspects I can think of are a full-size Snickers bar (which isn't likely and hasn't hurt me before), and some cheap canned crab. I was surprised when I opened the can, because the crab was just small white crumbles with occasional bits of shell ground in with it for realism. I'm betting some of that "crab" was surimi crabmeat, undeclared on the can (or maybe it was and I just assumed a can of crab would contain actual CRAB). Has anyone else encountered this? I spent three days in pain, a great reminder of how I used to feel all the time and why nearly 7 years scrupulously gluten-free has been worth it.

Ouch!...hope for a speedy recover!

I got glutened, and the only suspects I can think of are a full-size Snickers bar (which isn't likely and hasn't hurt me before), and some cheap canned crab. I was surprised when I opened the can, because the crab was just small white crumbles with occasional bits of shell ground in with it for realism. I'm betting some of that "crab" was surimi crabmeat, undeclared on the can (or maybe it was and I just assumed a can of crab would contain actual CRAB). Has anyone else encountered this? I spent three days in pain, a great reminder of how I used to feel all the time and why nearly 7 years scrupulously gluten-free has been worth it.

Lesson is, you have to read ingredients, always.

I seriously doubt there was UNDECLARED fake crab. That would violate numerous food laws and the taste difference would be obvious, I would think.

richard.

Yeah, fake crab is almost always made with wheat. It is possible that the company makes both regualr crab and fake canned crab and the labels were switched in processing (not common but lots of recalls happen for just this reason OR because the product failed to declare an allergen). If the label said nothing but crab for ingredients, then I would contact the campany and complain. Sorry you got sick :(

I'm not sure I'd trust canned crab on principle alone...something about canning anything other than tunafish creeps me out..Feel better!!

http://chickenofthesea.com/faq.aspx

Are Chicken of the Sea products gluten free?

All Chicken of the Sea products are gluten free, with the exception of the tuna salad kit, which contains crackers that are not gluten free.

Found this on line ^