This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What Is Your Dream Career?

love2travel

love2travel Mentor

My background is Human Resources. I quit that a few years ago to follow my passion with food/cooking and started teaching cooking classes at college, in homes, and a gourmet kitchen. I also test recipes for magazines and companies (mostly in the U.S. but of course can only do gluten-free recipes). Plus I do small catering events. These are all incredibly compelling jobs! Actually, I could not even call it work. :)

If I could be anything at this stage in life (without pain and without celiac disease) I would be one of the following:

- archaeologist in the middle east

- spice merchant (that way I would continue to travel the world!)

- FBI profiler (the psychology behind crimes has always fascinated me)

- restaurant critic in Europe

- forager for wild mushrooms, nuts, fruits of the sea, wildflowers and herbs, forest fruits, etc. in Croatia

- travel and write about medieval castles - so far I have been to over 125

- I am a Master Gardener but it can be a challenging in Zone 1a! So, I would love to garden in the best English cottage gardens on the planet.

I used to want to become the executive chef of my own Michelin-starred restaurant but now the long hours and lack of freedom would do me in. Not only that, I do not need that stress. Therefore I would rather just continue teaching culinary classes - I get to choose my own hours and so on.

What would you be passionate about doing or are you doing it already?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

alex11602 Collaborator

I am right there with you on the FBI profiler and chef. Those used to be my dream careers although right now I am more then happy to stay home with my daughters and keep them healthy and educate them. Actually one of the ways that I teach my almost 5 year old math, science and reading is through cooking and baking. She is showing alot of interest in both.

love2travel Mentor

I am right there with you on the FBI profiler and chef. Those used to be my dream careers although right now I am more then happy to stay home with my daughters and keep them healthy and educate them. Actually one of the ways that I teach my almost 5 year old math, science and reading is through cooking and baking. She is showing alot of interest in both.

How wonderful to have your little girl share your passion! You are so right about learning about science through cooking and baking. It makes so much more sense than numbers on paper. Well, at least to me it does! Plus the results taste better than paper... :P

Harpgirl Explorer

Right now, I'm doing exactly what I want as a stay-at-home mom for my 1 and 3 year old boys. But when they are school age, I would love to go back into teaching. I taught high school English for 1 semester 5 years ago before burning out, and I was so heartbroken about needing to quit. I so miss being in a classroom trying (despite how hard they resist) to get the students excited about learning. When I could connect with them and I saw the light bulbs go on in their eyes when they understood a tough concept, it was so gratifying. When I do go back I'm going to be much pickier about the school that employs me. The dicipline strategies and attendance policies at that school were the pits!

My wild dream is to be invited by Peter Jackson to be a harp-playing elf in The Hobbit (if they ever get around to making it).

I've also had a similar desire to do criminal investigation at one point. But I think it would be most interesting to be the medical examiner. I just don't have a strong enough interest in science to keep up with the schooling for that. ;)

Jenniferxgfx Contributor

I'm a chemist and forensic scientist by schooling. I love(d) the chemistry! I've worked for evil big pharma and also played with explosives (automobile airbag inflators!) and want to educate the general public about science. I have been unable to work due to back problems and fibromyalgia for a couple years. I really really really hope controlling my wheat problems will let me go back to work. I would be happy to work as a gluten-free food chemist!! I want to help make gluten-free food safer in some capacity.

That's my realistic goal. In a perfect world I'd open a punky cool gluten-free vegan bakery ;)

Alex: I think the science of food is one of the coolest ways to inspire interest in science and math!!

sb2178 Enthusiast

So, if I were to start over at 18 or 20:

-green chemistry... oh did I love orgo...

-food science... see above...

Now:

- PhD level researcher, examining vegetable intakes and various interventions and approaches (pending acceptance into a program this year, I might just make that happen in 3-5 years)

- gardening advocate and community college/community organization teacher (pending non-acceptance, I'll head that way)

In my "retirement" career:

- personal chef

- dog trainer

- personal gardener

- cookbook writer (also kinda working on that... we'll see how the summer goes)

bartfull Rising Star

I have been playing guitar for over 45 years, and it has been my main thing since I started. When I moved to the Black Hills seven years ago, I went for broke and opened a music store. I get to play with all of the new "toys" when they come in, I hold a weekly jam session with my friends and any tourists who happen by, and perhaps, no, DEFINITELY, the best part is teaching. SOOOO satisfying!

So, yes, I am living my dream, and to be honest, I am happier than I have ever been in my life. :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

domesticactivist Collaborator

I am living the dream, too! I worked in software development as a young thing, then devoted myself 100% to being a mama. When the kids got a bit older and I got divorced I got back into the software world but from the management side. I lost that job with the economic downturn and took a breather to reevaluate.

I knew I needed to work for myself. I am very self-directed, and I love flexibility, hard work, and being responsible for my own success or failure.

I decided what I really loved is urban farming, and went back to school for landscaping. I had dreams of becoming a landscape contractor focusing on permaculture and urban farms. Over the two years it took me to get my AAS in Landscaping (and related certificates), and to complete the Permaculture Design Certification I changed my plans a bit.

I just graduated last night, and my partner and I are about to officially launch our business, The Liberated Kitchen, LLC. Our business helps people transform their homes and gardens in ways that support their health.

We offer:

- garden design and maintenance (installations, too, once I have my license)

- home detox, decluttering, and organization

- meal planning and shopping for special diets

- personal coaching

I took my first real, paying garden design client yesterday, and have referrals streaming in. We also already have decluttering and housecleaning clients.

Lucky for me, I also qualified for a small business savings matching grant, which matures at $5000 in October. We got a break on our house payments through the Oregon Homeowner Stabilization Initiative, which will also make getting our business off the ground that much easier.

I love the mix of being able to work outdoors, do design, manage projects, and connect with and support people. I also love being able to spend time with my family - on our own schedule!

lizard00 Enthusiast

I worked in retail management for a bit, until my oldest was about 18 mos old, then I quit and worked for my mom at her small business. After my second was born, I didn't go back. But we most definitely need two incomes, SO, I decided to bake gluten-free from home. And yes, I LOVE IT!!! I love working for myself, being able to drop off and pick up my son from school, etc. And I love being able to make things available to others who are gluten-free.

My absolute dream would be to have a cafe/bakery that was completely gluten-free. But, that might have to wait for now. gluten-free world domination doesn't come overnight, you know. ;):lol::ph34r:

Harpgirl Explorer

I worked in retail management for a bit, until my oldest was about 18 mos old, then I quit and worked for my mom at her small business. After my second was born, I didn't go back. But we most definitely need two incomes, SO, I decided to bake gluten-free from home. And yes, I LOVE IT!!! I love working for myself, being able to drop off and pick up my son from school, etc. And I love being able to make things available to others who are gluten-free.

My absolute dream would be to have a cafe/bakery that was completely gluten-free. But, that might have to wait for now. gluten-free world domination doesn't come overnight, you know. ;):lol::ph34r:

Where would you have your cafe? I would definitely become a patron! :D

lizard00 Enthusiast

In good ole' Raleigh, NC. :D

Harpgirl Explorer
:lol: Well, I'd only be able to patron it when I visit my sister. She lives in Wilmington and they go to Raleigh all the time. Maybe you can start a franchise and come on down here to Tampa :D
Tempestkin Newbie

Well, when I was in high school I thought about being a chef, but then I started to explore sciences. For the longest time I was having a fight, over animal work or people work.

Well I was studying genetic's and doing some animal studies also, at my local community college. I started to talk to some people who were Deaf, and I've always had a thing for sign language. That, and for the long time sound would annoy me, and even some sounds would give me seizures.

Then, more recently... I've been studying music, and languages in general. When I had a week stay in the hospital, I really started to realize. I love the way languages sound. I love the way different things sounds now, and more and more I've been changing the way sound effects me.

So, my current dream job would be speech therapist, and translator.

Sarah Alli Apprentice

I've always wanted to be a medical lab technologist, working in a laboratory and running tests.

After I got actually sick instead of just vaguely fatigued, I basically dropped out of college, moved closer to home, and started working part time fixing computers, which is about all I can handle. I knew from the beginning I would regret it, but lately I had been feeling really sad about it. My fiance convinced me to return to school and follow my dream- all I have to do now is get well! That should be easy, right? ;)

love2travel Mentor

I've always wanted to be a medical lab technologist, working in a laboratory and running tests.

After I got actually sick instead of just vaguely fatigued, I basically dropped out of college, moved closer to home, and started working part time fixing computers, which is about all I can handle. I knew from the beginning I would regret it, but lately I had been feeling really sad about it. My fiance convinced me to return to school and follow my dream- all I have to do now is get well! That should be easy, right? ;)

When I was in high school I really wanted to become either an O.R. nurse or medical lab tech. I have always been interested in anatomy, medical terminology, physiology and so on.

I really hope you get well soon so you can pursue your dream!! :)

Sarah Alli Apprentice

When I was in high school I really wanted to become either an O.R. nurse or medical lab tech. I have always been interested in anatomy, medical terminology, physiology and so on.

I really hope you get well soon so you can pursue your dream!! :)

Yeah, I love the crossroads of chemistry (which has always fascinated me) and working in medicine, helping people. Though, I have to admit I've lost a bit of faith in the medical establishment, going through this ordeal. At the end of the day, we're still responsible for our own health and trusting our instincts over sometimes-flawed tests.

love2travel Mentor

At the end of the day, we're still responsible for our own health and trusting our instincts over sometimes-flawed tests.

Amen Sister! :P

• 3 weeks later...
freeatlast Collaborator

I would like to bake pastries for Starbuck's and other places that are so good no one would know they are gluten-free. I don't know how I would market it, though. Maybe sell to Starbuck's and NOT TELL them it's gluten-free? That wouldn't work because they tried it before and had the little muffins wrapped in plastic to avoid cross contamination.

Well, gotta give them credit for trying. They told me "You and one other person were the only ones who ever bought the gluten-free muffin" after they discontinued them.

Maybe open my own coffee shop and bake all gluten free? I wouldn't want to market as such b/c of liability in case someone got sick. Now there is the rub.

• 3 weeks later...
krystynycole Contributor

I am living my dream job. I am teacher who teaches students with severe autism along with some level of cognitive delay. I teach students in 9th-12th grade. It's a challenge, but I love working with them and seeing that "light bulb" moment when they figure out how to communicate with me and my staff :) I don't teach typical subjects, just life skills essentials and how to cope in a world that will never understand them!

zentex Newbie

I am living my dream job. I am teacher who teaches students with severe autism along with some level of cognitive delay. I teach students in 9th-12th grade. It's a challenge, but I love working with them and seeing that "light bulb" moment when they figure out how to communicate with me and my staff :) I don't teach typical subjects, just life skills essentials and how to cope in a world that will never understand them!

My current job is very similar to krystynycole's. I teach career education to blind and visually impaired students. My students are also often cognitively delayed, deaf, and/or physically handicapped. It's a very rewarding career, but it wasn't my first choice. Teaching wasn't even on my radar before I got the job.

As a child and highschooler, I wanted to be either a nurse or an investigative reporter. I went to college and got a degree, but neither job seemed feasible so I became a waitress! Other jobs I held were LCDC (Lic. chemical dependency counselor); direct care staff at a group home for the disabled; CNA; stable owner and probably a few others.

While I love my current occupation very much...my dream would be to own an organic vineyard and a stable full of fine equines.

Archived