watata

Constipation!

Rate this topic

I know a lot of you here have the big D, but I have and have always had quite the opposite. I can go days, even weeks without going. I have had every test known to man and nothing is "physically" wrong. They say it is just the way I am wired and should improve now that I have been diagnosed. That some celiacs are constipated. I have only been gluten-free for 10 days. The nausea has improved as has the bloating but the constipation seems to have gotten worse. I eat plenty of fiber and drink plenty of fluids. HMMMM... any tips of the trade would be appreciated. Thanks

Probiotics and digestive enzymes with every meal, and light exercise (walking, etc) 3x a week. Also, a good multivitamin without iron.

• Upvote 1

I know a lot of you here have the big D, but I have and have always had quite the opposite. I can go days, even weeks without going. I have had every test known to man and nothing is "physically" wrong. They say it is just the way I am wired and should improve now that I have been diagnosed. That some celiacs are constipated. I have only been gluten-free for 10 days. The nausea has improved as has the bloating but the constipation seems to have gotten worse. I eat plenty of fiber and drink plenty of fluids. HMMMM... any tips of the trade would be appreciated. Thanks

I had the same issues you are dealing with...I'm sorry : ( Fresh orange juice (I juice them myself) every morning does the trick for me. I also cut back BIG time on dairy...since doing that I've noticed a HUGE difference! Sometimes prunes would work also.

Good luck!

• Upvote 1

I also get constipation when glutened, and it usually lasts about a month before I'm back to normal. My strategy, as soon as I realize I've been glutened, is the following:

- cut out dairy (I'm fine with dairy all other times, but not after glutening)

- acidophilus pills (2-3 times per day)

- exercise (no matter how bloated and icky I feel, I force myself to do this)

- reduce food intake (I'm starving, but I don't feel as bloated)

- drink peppermint green tea

- magnesium oxide pills - 600 mg per day (magnesium promotes transfer of water into the intestines, so it helps to soften the stool)

My main symptom before diagnosis was constipation. For the first year after I went gluten free if I got glutened I would get constipated. However, my reactions have changed. Now if I get glutened I ged the big D and steatorrhea.

My youngest son was never constipated prior to gluten free. When he first went gluten free he became constipated and did not have a BM for 5 days. This was miserable for a kid that is used to going every day! I gave him some senna and got things moving and after that he was fine. I think his body was adjusting. Now if he gets glutened he gets constipated.

My oldest son who is not diagnosed celiac but undergoing a gluten free trial has always had problems with constipation. He has been gluten free for almost a week now and I swear he is becoming more "regular". Before it wasn't abnormal for him to go 2-4 days without goig to the bathroom I've noticed him going in there more often..

I think you might have another food intolerance--most likely dairy. Others have said it too, just to add that I had the same issue. My constipation didn't really clear up until I went off dairy.

Quinoa helps me break my constipation.

Magnesium (250 mg) and acidophilus each night helps me. Too much magnesium will get things going too well.... :rolleyes: I also tend to eat an apple every day, so I know all about the eating plenty of fiber!

-Daisy

Magnesium (250 mg) and acidophilus each night helps me. Too much magnesium will get things going too well.... :rolleyes: I also tend to eat an apple every day, so I know all about the eating plenty of fiber!

-Daisy

I don't think one apple a day is enough fibre to provide the daily recommended dose of fibre.....