Chad Sines

Good For Life Bread

Rate this topic

I had two sandwiches with Jiff Natural Peanut Butter and Smuckers SF blackberry jam on Good for Life Gluten free bread. Today i am blech city. Sometimes I wonder if gluten-free bread alternatives are not worse than gluten itself.

Nothing else I ate yesterday was worrisome or new.

I tried doing a search for 'Good for Life' bread and didn't find anything. Is the bread 'Food for Life'? If it is they have had CC issues in the past including recalls for gluten. If you have Udi's or Kinnickinnick available try those instead.

I tried doing a search for 'Good for Life' bread and didn't find anything. Is the bread 'Food for Life'? If it is they have had CC issues in the past including recalls for gluten. If you have Udi's or Kinnickinnick available try those instead.

Sorry. Food for Life. The odd thing is that minor CC never really gets me. In fact I could eat wrong food and only feel fatigue if it is a little or mild issues if I eat a medium amount. I have even eaten regular bread with fewer issues that this. Just odd.

Sorry. Food for Life. The odd thing is that minor CC never really gets me. In fact I could eat wrong food and only feel fatigue if it is a little or mild issues if I eat a medium amount. I have even eaten regular bread with fewer issues that this. Just odd.

Food for Life bread made me sick about 2 months ago. And not a little bit sick either. I don't buy any of their products now.

They have issues? Oh no :( It's the only bread I have ever found for DS.

HELP! Maybe this is why there are issues with his levels? :( :(

OP, sorry you aren't feeling well.

They have issues? Oh no :( It's the only bread I have ever found for DS.

HELP! Maybe this is why there are issues with his levels? :( :(

OP, sorry you aren't feeling well.

This is what really sucks (pardon the language) about Celiac. You might also have corn issues, or reflux or too little acid, or too little good bacteria or too much bad bacteria, or have issues with gluten-free replacement ingredients. It is nearly impossible to narrow it all down exactly.

Bah. Curse you bad belly. :) Wow. That was therapeutic.

Food for Life brown rice tortillas were recalled in Canada in October 2010 due to gluten contamination. I believe there was also a problem with undeclared wheat in spelt bread in 2008. Before anyone says it, yes, I know that spelt is not gluten free, but I mentioned it because I think it shows a pattern of problems with this company. I used to eat the tortillas until the recall, and now I won't go near them.

Food for Life brown rice tortillas were recalled in Canada in October 2010 due to gluten contamination. I believe there was also a problem with undeclared wheat in spelt bread in 2008. Before anyone says it, yes, I know that spelt is not gluten free, but I mentioned it because I think it shows a pattern of problems with this company. I used to eat the tortillas until the recall, and now I won't go near them.

that is good to know. I kinda wanted the occasional bread lunch alternative, but I feel better off just eating my can of tuna or meat rolled up.

I seem to also remmeber something about Food For Life putting barley water in their corn tortillas. I had their brown rice tortillas twice in one week and got very very sick (definitely a gluten reaction). I wrote them to complain and never got a reply. I don't trust any of their products at all now.

I almost bought brown rice bread from them today..so glad that I didn't. Went for my first loaf of kinnick bread today! :)

So what are other alternatives?

Udi's and Rudi's are among the most popular on the board. I have also heard good things about Canyon Bakehouse and Katz but I have never tried them. Whatever your do stay away from EnerG bread. That stuff is nasty! :blink:

• Upvote 1

Udi's and Rudi's are among the most popular on the board. I have also heard good things about Canyon Bakehouse and Katz but I have never tried them. Whatever your do stay away from EnerG bread. That stuff is nasty! :blink:

Those both have dairy or egg. We can't do either. We also can't do palm oil/coconut so that knocks out Energ-G anyway (though I have hear the light tapioca is actually okay).

ooooor you could find a mix online and create a loaf yourself.

Yes and it costs a weeks worth of groceries :( The only mix I have found that *may* work is $7/box. I would go through that in 2 days here. Can't afford that.

Canyon Bakehouse is not certified, and I reacted to it the one time I dared try it. (C'mon, FDA! get those regs in place, already!)

-Daisy

Those both have dairy or egg. We can't do either. We also can't do palm oil/coconut so that knocks out Energ-G anyway (though I have hear the light tapioca is actually okay).

Udi's and Rudi's are both dairy free but you're right they do have egg. You will have a hard time finding a commercial gluten-free bread that tasts good and is free of eggs, dairy and those oils. Sounds like you are either going to have to bake your own or use less expensive alternatives to bread such as rice cakes and corn tortillas. I seldom eat gluten-free bread because it costs too much and it's not really that healthy anyway. I just make things that I can have without bread instead.

How about Kinnickinnick? Theirs isn't bad.

How about Kinnickinnick? Theirs isn't bad.

I've tried it once and it wasn't too bad. My only complaints were that it was a little too sweet and the slices were very thin and broke a apart easily. But if it's all I could find and I really wanted a sandwhich I would get it. The taste/texture were decent for gluten-free bread.

Sounds like you are either going to have to bake your own or use less expensive alternatives to bread such as rice cakes and corn tortillas.

We do rice cakes too but for school, they are so messy. We can't do corn either so tortillas are out.

I have never found a bread recipe that works with our limitations either.

Bummer...

We do rice cakes too but for school, they are so messy. We can't do corn either so tortillas are out.

I have never found a bread recipe that works with our limitations either.

Bummer...

Maybe you could try making flat breads or pancakes instead of loaves of bread. Pancake recipes don't have to rise a lot so they might work better without eggs. You can make them large and thin and use them as wraps.

Canyon Bakehouse is not certified, and I reacted to it the one time I dared try it. (C'mon, FDA! get those regs in place, already!)

-Daisy

Actually, Canyon Bakehouse IS certified gluten-free...here is the link. Canyon

This is the best gluten free bread on the market. The owner is a Celiac also so if you react to this bread, it's probably another ingredient that's causing the problem.

Actually, Canyon Bakehouse IS certified gluten-free...here is the link. Canyon

This is the best gluten free bread on the market. The owner is a Celiac also so if you react to this bread, it's probably another ingredient that's causing the problem.

They all have egg too.