This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I Hate Everything

Strawberry-Jam

IrishHeart Veteran

I promise I'm not a wacko.

I'll let you know what I find out at the post office but not to worry.....I have a pretty good idea of what it costs to ship stuff so we'll get this done.

BTW....IrishHeart is perfectly normal...she's from Boston! :P

ah, spoken like a true fellow Bostonian. :lol: we're thick like thieves, we are. ;)

Strawberry, GEMINI is fabulously wealthy B) and rolling in dough, so no worries. She is whacky fun, but no whack-adoodle.

:lol:

Seriously...she is just a really nice person. She's been there for me since I first came on c.com a year ago. And she has never steered me wrong. I heart her.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
kareng Grand Master

Even if Gemini is a whack a doodle, she'd have to be really whacko to take your address, fly to Ireland & bother you! If she did that, you could sell your story to Lifetime TV to be made into one of their TV movies.

IrishHeart Veteran

Even if Gemini is a whack a doodle, she'd have to be really whacko to take your address, fly to Ireland & bother you! If she did that, you could sell your story to Lifetime TV to be made into one of their TV movies.

ooh, ooh, can I play GEMINI in the made for TV movie? :)

we're the same height and have the same accent

PS nice salmon breath, Coop! Same breath from Bella in our house.

USF1970 Apprentice

been gluten free one year. cried in the grocery store today for the first time. it was the second store that didn't have what i came for, gluten-free rice porridge (had a "temporarily out of stock" sign) even thought there was a whole isle of gluteny porridge that they never run out of

I'm sick with six days of fever and infection, my mouth is full of ulcers and i can't chew anything, i just wanted something soft to eat besides chicken stock which i have to make myself from scratch or mashed bananas

I just want to eat some effing ice cream. if i could eat that, i wouldn't be starving and losing weight so fast, but no i can't do dairy and even though boyfriend and i combed all the nearby stores, NOWHERE has any effing sorbet, it's like this country never heard of a milk allergy

i hate walking thru the ice cream isle and crying because i can't have anything but a box of popsicles that are only probably 10 calories each and won't help me keep from starving

the only sorbet i know where it is is in blanchardstown , usually i have to ride my bike 40 minutes or so to get there, it's a nice treat after exercise but i'm in no position to be travelling that far in my sickness

I bought peanut butter and jam but I don't have any appetite. i just made more chicken soup and i forgot to put in salt because I am stupid. my brain has been roasting for days and i'm gonna try to go to work tomorrow anyway because i'm tired of being cooped up at home like this and i can't stand calling in, i really can't, not when i've already called in three times... i have a doctor's note that says i don't need to come in until the 9th but i tho't that was wednesday so i already told them wednesday even tho the note says thursday and i don't want to call to correct myself

i stink like sweat and my apartment is a mess and i can't see because my head hurts so much

celiac is ruining what little appetite i actually do have that might could save me

thank you for letting me rant

Don't know how to reply to your post but I'll give this a try. I've been gluten-free since 1998 and have felt fine....no complaints except that I'm TRIPLY sick and tired of this diet. I too, absolutely HATE it. And now, after being called my doctor's most compliant celiac disease patient, it has come back with a roar. I've lost 40 lbs and have sudden onset, severe osteoporosis. He now believes I may have refractory sprue......oh joy. I'll need to go on a highly toxic med - cyclosporine. And so it goes. Best of luck to you.

USF1970 Apprentice

I logged in today for the first time in months just because I *hate* being gluten free and I *hate* hearing people say "Wow, that sucks." You're damn right it sucks. I'm having a terrible day and all I wanted was Happy Tracks ice cream but my grocery store is out so I went with another kind, without thinking to check the label. Get it home and of course it's got wheat flour in it. On top of that I forgot the milk so I can't make the meal I was planning on. i haven't eaten all day so I'm weak and tired, and now I have to go back out to get the friggin milk because I can't just drop by the fast food place next door.

My diagnosis was the second worst thing to ever happen to me. I've been depressed about it for two years but it's not like I can just go back because now even the tiniest hint of flour in something will make me throw up for HOURS. Funny how I never got that sick before going gluten free. Give me anemia and stomach pain over this any day.

Couldn't agree more...I too, hate this diet......

GFinDC Veteran

Oh yes. gluten-free! You must send her some guacamole! :D

Ha ha Karen, maybe I could find some dehydrated avocados to send. I don't think real guacamole would make the trip very well. Turns all brown ya know!

Just saying though some snacks are easy to make with not much cost or effort. And much better for you than store bought versions with all the preservatives and food colors and such added.

This peanut brittle takes 10 minutes to make. Not a problem time-wise I don't think. You can leave out the corn syrup if you don't like that and just use sugar or brown sugar. and leave out the vanilla for that matter. And you don't have to use just peanuts. You can add sunflower seeds, dried fruit bits, whatever you like. Cinnamon might be nice eh? :)

Open Original Shared Link

Ingredients

• 1 cup white sugar
  • 1/2 cup light corn syrup
  • 1 cup salted peanuts
  • 1 teaspoon butter
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda

Directions
  1. Butter a cookie sheet. Combine sugar and corn syrup in a 2 quart glass bowl and microwave on high 4 minutes. Stir in peanuts and microwave on high 3 1/2 minutes more, then stir in butter and vanilla and microwave for 1 1/2 minutes.
  2. Stir in baking soda until light and foamy. Pour onto cookie sheet and spread thin. Cool completely and break into pieces and serve.

Strawberry-Jam Enthusiast

can you use coconut oil instead of butter?

also you guys I can buy avocados here, haha, making guac is easy

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

dani nero Community Regular

I so feel for you and I'm so sorry you're feeling so poorly both physically and mentally. We always feel worse about everything when we're sick and tired. If I lived near you I'd make you a huge pot of my mother's rice porridge recipe. Any friends who can come over and help you with some cleaning / cooking a little while you recover?

Just a thought, you could try investing in an ice-cream maker perhaps? use lactose-free milk or yogurt to make it.. and if you're allergic to soy you can use almond milk.

Hope you feel better soon!

IrishHeart Veteran

S-berry

as you know, I am like you--no dairy, soy either--and I love So Delicious coconut ice cream....Can you find any coconut ice cream or almond milk ice cream over there? That may be good for you to have around. (that is most definitely not going to make it into any care package) :lol:

We traveled to Ireland several times, and we ate so much ice cream and drank Guinness every day (sigh) --this was pre-DX of course! I much preferred the countryside and small towns and other counties --we went everywhere :) --because Dublin was busy, busy, busy all the time, but it was so much fun. :)

Hope you are enjoying yourself! (around glutenings and school work)

UKGail Rookie

Be careful of Trufree biscuits. Although they are a tasty treat, the couple of types I tried contained lactose powder. There is plenty of dairy free stuff in Sainsbury's to choose from though. The other major British supermarkets have similar free-from ranges, but they don't seem quite so extensive.

There also seems to be Tesco superstores in the outskirts of Dublin, so they might deliver to Strawberry's address. I am not very familiar with their range, and their labelling seems ok for gluten and dairy free, but am not sure about soy free. I am not very familiar with hunting down soy in ingredient lists, but they might be another thing to try.

Gemini Experienced
ah, spoken like a true fellow Bostonian. :lol: we're thick like thieves, we are. ;)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Strawberry, GEMINI is fabulously wealthy B) and rolling in dough, so no worries. She is whacky fun, but no whack-adoodle.

:lol:

If I were fabulously wealthy, I would hand deliver the package to her in Dublin..and then take her out for a good meal! However, depending on postal rates, it might be cheaper for me to hand deliver it! ;)

Seriously...she is just a really nice person. She's been there for me since I first came on c.com a year ago. And she has never steered me wrong. I heart her.

I heart you too! :D

kareng Grand Master

If I were fabulously wealthy, I would hand deliver the package to her in Dublin..and then take her out for a good meal! However, depending on postal rates, it might be cheaper for me to hand deliver it! ;)

But then we get into the Lifetime TV movie thing. "Stalked on the Internet" "Celiac Serial Killer"

"Love on Celiac.com" "I found my birth family on aCeliac website! Subtitle: Now I know who to blame for these genes"

:D

Gemini Experienced

But then we get into the Lifetime TV movie thing. "Stalked on the Internet" "Celiac Serial Killer"

"Love on Celiac.com" "I found my birth family on aCeliac website! Subtitle: Now I know who to blame for these genes"

I bet I could claim insanity from being cc'd with gluten. I would have to hope for a real jury of my peers....all Celiacs! :P

kareng Grand Master

I bet I could claim insanity from being cc'd with gluten. I would have to hope for a real jury of my peers....all Celiacs! :P

As long as the jury isn't sequestered! With nothing to eat, we will be really crabby!

IrishHeart Veteran

If you were fabulously wealthy, you'd splurge and have me in the seat beside you up in first class, toots!

;)

researchmomma Contributor

If we said we are going to send you a care package, then we will. I will inquire at the post office as to how much it costs to send packages and weight amounts. That's the key....how much it weighs. I have paid $15.00 to have tea sent form England and.......don't laugh.......I paid $40.00 to have a large shipment of cookies sent from Oz. Yeah, I'm crazy. I split the cost with a Celiac from work because he went to Oz on vacation and brought back these amazing cookies that were essentially oreos coated with chocolate ganache.

I justify the expense because I do not dine out that much and this is my treat. I cook all my own food so if I want to pay $40.00 for shipping cookies half way around the world, I'm gonna do it! ;)

The one thing you have to do, Strawberry, is send me your name and address via PM. Don't be nervous....you can trust forum members. I promise I'm not a wacko.

I have a good idea now of what to send. The things you mentioned I can buy easily around here. I will buy things you cannot get in Ireland because those are the comfort foods you are hankering for. But you may want to look at Sainsbury's stuff or find a larger food store near you. That might help. I'll let you know what I find out at the post office but not to worry.....I have a pretty good idea of what it costs to ship stuff so we'll get this done.

BTW....IrishHeart is perfectly normal...she's from Boston! :P

Go international Flat Rate at the post office.

IrishHeart Veteran

As long as the jury isn't sequestered! With nothing to eat, we will be really crabby!

Crabby? OMG!--can you imagine how quickly we'd put someone in the electric chair just to get the hell out of there??!!

Tonight's movie, "Swift Justice"--- starring 12 Hungry Celiacs (also a good name for a band ;) )

narrated by Martha Stewart whose motto is "Don't bother to accomodate anyone with special allergen or dietary needs as they are insignificant peons of society." What a sweet gal! Doncha just heart her?

Scene 27

All 12:

Guilty, now let us out of this room!

Bailiff:

What about the evidence? You haven't even discussed it!

All 12:

Evidence, schmevidence, we're starving!! Now get out of the way before we beat the crap out of you.

B) yeah, that would work

IrishHeart Veteran

"I found my birth family on aCeliac website! Subtitle: Now I know who to blame for these genes"

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Gemini Experienced

Go international Flat Rate at the post office.

From the little investigating I have done, that looks like the winner. It can weigh up to 20 pounds too...that's a lot of snackin'! ;)

Strawberry sent me her name and address today so how many would like to go with me and hand deliver to Dublin? :lol:

I know a great restaurant that does a fabulous gluten-free lunch..... ;)

Gemini Experienced

Crabby? OMG!--can you imagine how quickly we'd put someone in the electric chair just to get the hell out of there??!!

Tonight's movie, "Swift Justice"--- starring 12 Hungry Celiacs (also a good name for a band ;) )

narrated by Martha Stewart whose motto is "Don't bother to accomodate anyone with special allergen or dietary needs as they are insignificant peons of society." What a sweet gal! Doncha just heart her?

Scene 27

All 12:

Guilty, now let us out of this room!

Bailiff:

What about the evidence? You haven't even discussed it!

All 12:

Evidence, schmevidence, we're starving!! Now get out of the way before we beat the crap out of you.

B) yeah, that would work

That's about how I feel regarding jury duty.... :ph34r:

mushroom Proficient

I'm coming - but we've got to go in summer! - I'm a summer gal. Can Strawberry_Jam wait that long? Are you really, really desperate SJ?

Strawberry-Jam Enthusiast

I'll be here till September...

and tell me where all the good restaurants are, if you know 'em. I'm stuck in a rut and only ever go to Cornucopia. Out of the whole city, I only eat in one restaurant :unsure:

IrishHeart Veteran

so how many would like to go with me and hand deliver to Dublin?

don't even tease me that way :) you know i'm there in a heartbeat

Spring/summer is better in Ireland. Every single time we went (late May, early June?) No rain....just. darn. perfect :)

notme Experienced

HAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!

is everybody else immediately Starving to Death when they get hungry?? my husband teases me: " 'fatty' (i weigh 115 lbs ;) )gotta eat. NOW. don't put your hands too close to her plate....."

Gemini Experienced

I'll be here till September...

and tell me where all the good restaurants are, if you know 'em. I'm stuck in a rut and only ever go to Cornucopia. Out of the whole city, I only eat in one restaurant :unsure:

Open Original Shared Link

This place was phenomenal! I had the chicken pesto sandwich and they make their own gluten-free bread. The bread was grilled.....mmmmmmmm! I don't know what they do for soy intolerances here as it's advertised as a Celia menu only but the guy working there was so friendly, I bet he could help out. He may have been the owner but what a nice guy he was!

They also have a lunch menu, which would be cheaper to do. I went there for lunch.

Archived