This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Coping With My Cancer

GF Lover

GF Lover Rising Star

Hi all,

I had my 2nd surgery on the 14th of Nov. All went really good.

They removed the surface lymph nodes in the left groin area. My Oncologist said they take the surface ones as a mass (I pictured an ice cream scoop lol). Then they take the front hip muscle, she said it's the one you use when you cross your leg, slice it vertically, then fold the half so it's now horizontal and it lays where the mass was and reattached. And yup, staples again, around 5-6 inches of them. I'm beginning to hate staples.

They kept me overnight this time and it's a good thing too cuz I couldn't move my leg an inch and had a catheter and a surgical drain.

As of this morning I'm feeling pretty good. I still have the drain, it's just plain uck, but working well. I can get from bed to the kitchen. I'm using my cane and the wall and I can now get my foot about an inch off the floor to walk, with drain safety pinned to my pajamas. I've made about 15 round trips so far. Today I am going to attempt my first shower since coming home and I'm pretty excited about that.

Hubs is feeding me well. Fried Chicken and mashed taters last night, serious yums. My appetite is doing really good and I'm eating and having snacks.

I have my follow up appointment on the 30th and will find out if these other nodes have any cancer. Keep your fingers crossed. Still starting interferon in Dec. My mom's coming to stay a few weeks when I start that. She lives in Hawaii, yes I'm jealous, and it's been over a year since I've seen her so I'm super excited about that.

That's it for now. Wish me luck on my shower. Remember that you are all warriors and keep up the fight for great health.

Colleen

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

So sorry you are having to go through so much. Can't believe how quickly they send people home after a surgery like yours! Your dinner last night sounds yummy and you are so lucky to have a loving DH to help you heal and cook you good for sure safe food.. I hope you will heal quickly and will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Celiac Mindwarp Community Regular

Wishing you luck for that shower, its gonna feel sooo good. Glad surgery went well for you. I had a drain once, sympathy. Uck is the word.

All the best for healthy healing and good follow up.

Mw

GFinDC Veteran

Being able to get around so soon after the surgery is great! Even if it isn't dancing with the stars style getting around :)

nvsmom Community Regular

I'm glad your surgery went so well. :) I hope your recovery continues to go smoothly. Best wishes!

jerseyangel Proficient

So glad to hear your surgery went well and you are up and around already. Many positive thoughts being sent your way. Take good care:)

love2travel Mentor

That is quite the surgery! So sorry you have to go through this. Your good attitude and outlook will go a long way toward your healing. You must be looking forward to the reunion with your Mom. I'm glad you've got a great support system. Keep us posted, please.

I will be praying for you. :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GF Lover Rising Star

Hi all,

Thanks for your thoughts, prayers and wishes. I sure do appreciate anyone who who can makes sense of my ramblings.

I've officially moved base camp to my living room chair, yay. Had a stumble in the shower this morning and knocked all the shampoo bottles over but no harm done. My drainage is getting better, from around 10 oz. In a 24 hour period to about 4-5 oz. Major progress. Pain is very manageable now, just a muscle relaxer every now and then. The best part is that I have REAL clothing on today, woohoo.

Otherwise, I've just been doing a ton of research on cancer therapies and clinical trials. Chemo is not effective with melanoma so choices are somewhat numbered and and have low rates of slowing down tumors. The organs of concern are the liver, lungs and brain, and spinal tumors. At this point it still looks like Interferon is next unless scans show distant mets. Then the choices are more difficult and complicated.

I heard somewhere that Thanksgiving is this week, I really need to be more informed on current events, lol.

Thankful to be alive, Colleen

nvsmom Community Regular

(hugs)

Suzanne Somers has a couple of good books out on health and one on treating cancer is very well researched. I think it's called Knockout or Breakthrough. It had some good ideas that made sense. It could be worth looking at.

Take care.

1desperateladysaved Proficient

Get Well Soon. ***

Diana

GFinDC Veteran

Congrats Colleen on the big living room move. And Happy Thanksgiving too! :)

Archived