dilettantesteph

Advanced Community Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:48 PM

This dish soap contains gluten:

http://www.ecover.co...hwashing liquid

It still should only be a problem for those of us who are more sensitive.

As far as dish washing goes, I think that it depends on how sensitive you are and maybe also how careful your family members are and how good your dishwasher is.  In our case, we have very sensitive family members and we had to go to a gluten free household to avoid symptoms.  I can't know if the problem was the dishes or if there were other causes. 

I'm sorry.  I didn't word that carefully enough.  I should have said something more like, only the very most sensitive of us might even consider that this might be an issue.  Typical celiacs shouldn't worry about this one bit.

I really only wanted to point out that at least one dish soap does contain gluten, so if this is a concern, you should look at the ingredients.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:45 PM

Actually, I got bit by that dish soap, not because of dishes (I find it less than effective for doing dishes)

but because I regularly use the other scent of Ecover dish soap as shampoo. Hey, it's cheap.... 

Made my head hive up, as I have a topical allergy to wheat as well, and I realized what had happened

and washed my hair again with something before it could become any kind of issue with my hair

getting in my mouth. Ya just get surprised sometimes, ya know?

To the OP, certainly, if you see food stuck on dishes, rewash, whether it's a gluten concern or not. Can

I ask how this is happening? More than one person in charge of the dishes, dishwasher not up to snuff?

If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

#18 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 06:42 AM

If its an electric dishwasher issue, you can buy dishwasher cleaner/disinfectant at Wal Mart etc.

When I lived in a house with a well, I had to use it regularly, every 5/6 weeks or so. Now that we have city water, I still do it whenever I start to see cloudy glassware.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: