This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Huge Painful Tummy After gluten-free Dinner. Now What?

NanaV

NanaV Rookie

I ate at a private club tonight where the chef knows I'm gluten-free. (I've been negative for celiac via blood tests but my symptoms resolve on a gluten-free diet.)

I just got home, and I'm in pain. My belly is enormous. I look 4-5 months pregnant. I'm 5'4" and weigh 112#, so I'm not that big normally.

What is going on? I didn't overeat, but I feel terrible. What can I do at this moment to relieve the belly pressure?

And, what can I tell the chef or look for in my food if I need to eat there again? These are formal, position-required meals where it would be incredibly awkward for me to bring my own food.

Here's the menu: wine, lobster risotto, steak, sweet potato & goat cheese gratin, creamed brussel sprouts w/ bacon, flour less chic cake w/ cream anglaise. I just can't imagine where gluten would be hiding in here, especially when the chef assured me that all my food was gluten-free.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

w8in4dave Community Regular

Cold be either milk products or Corn products. I don't know what "cream anglaise" is , or it could just be you were CC'd . It is really hard to tell.

NanaV Rookie

Cream anglaise was a vanilla sweetened white sauce they put on the dessert plate. I don't know how it's made. I've tested OK for dairy.

cyclinglady Grand Master

I am guessing that the chef used gluten free ingredients, but cross contamination (cc) occurred. The chef did not do all the food prep alone. My second theory is a food intolerance. The third theory is that if you do have any intestinal damage, eating rich foods and gas forming veggies could be the culprit. My bet is cc.

Hope you feel better soon.

WestCoastGirl Apprentice

^ Ditto on the cross-contamination thought.

That's why it can be tricky (or dangerous) to eat out, even if the establishment offers gluten-free products. Unless they have a dedicated gluten-free kitchen, cross-contamination is a huge possibility. Have you ever been in the kitchen of a restaurant? Pandemonium, orders coming in at the speed of light, chefs and their assitants going great guns running from one table, platter and pan to the next.

dilettantesteph Collaborator

I have heard of examples of where flourless cakes were baked in pans that were dusted with flour to not stick.  That would be my best guess.  You could ask the chef about that and then you would know what to avoid.  He may not have thought of that.  I hope that you feel better soon.

NoGlutenCooties Contributor

Was there au jus on the steak?  Gluten-containing steak sauce?

It sounds to me like either cross-contamination or that your body just isn't ready for such heavy food.  Have you tried a digestive enzyme?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

NanaV Rookie

Yes, there was au jus on the steak, some sort of pomegranate sauce with dried cherries. My plate looked just like everyone else's, but the server said, "Yours is gluten-free" when he served me. 

Good thought on the digestive enzyme. I ended up taking 2 magnesium tablets with a cup of ginger tea.

I don't know if I have intestinal damage, but if I did, that would explain these mysteries. Ten years ago, my biopsy was negative but I had been gluten-free for a year before that test. Now I've been gluten-free for 2 years.

I'm getting gene tested soon. I'm hoping that'll shed more light on things.

kareng Grand Master

I have heard of examples of where flourless cakes were baked in pans that were dusted with flour to not stick.  That would be my best guess.  You could ask the chef about that and then you would know what to avoid.  He may not have thought of that.  I hope that you feel better soon.

I have seen that, too!  Also, many places buy the desserts from somewhere else so they are guessing on the ingredients and process.  If that is the case, maybe skip dessert?

If you are going to this place a lot, maybe go there when they aren't busy and talk to the chef?

Yes, there was au jus on the steak

Most au jus has gluten.  It is possible to make it without it, but that may be the culprate.  Too easy to get them mixed up - or stir both with the same spoon, etc.

love2travel Mentor

Au jus *should* not have gluten (I have never made it with gluten, even pre celiac) BUT you never know. The risotto fish stock, if commercial, can have it. There is no reason for cream Anglaise to contain gluten. Gratins can definitely have it but again, should not. Like others have said, my guess is cross contamination or gratin.

squirmingitch Veteran

I agree with the cc theory others have put forth OR....... the plates got mixed up & you in actuality got a gluten meal & someone else got your gluten-free meal. Maybe talk to the chef about putting something specific on your plate to designate it from the other plates. A sprig of parsley, something to differentiate your plate.

Au jus *should* not have gluten (I have never made it with gluten, even pre celiac) BUT you never know. The risotto fish stock, if commercial, can have it. There is no reason for cream Anglaise to contain gluten. Gratins can definitely have it but again, should not. Like others have said, my guess is cross contamination or gratin.

If ordering au jus from a restaurant, it almost always has gluten in it:  "If ordering meat, be aware that au jus almost always contains gluten." (Open Original Shared Link)

When I contacted Houston's (a high-end steakhouse in my area - they are located in various areas around the country) they said I would have to order their steak without the au jus, because it does contain gluten.

Outback also states "avoid au jus" on their gluten-free menu:  Open Original Shared Link

When I make it myself, I've always preferred cornstarch - but restaurant au jus is suspect.

Archived