This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Is There Medication For Celiac That Allows You To Consume Gluten?

China Suttle

China Suttle Newbie

My stepdaughter's mother told us about 2 months ago that my stepdaughter (she is 7) was diagnosed with Celiac disease. We assume this is true, because why would someone lie about that sort of thing, but lately there have been some inconsistencies in her story. My stepdaughter told her dad and me that she is going to start taking some medicine that allows her to eat food containing gluten. We had never heard of a type of medicine like that, but we are new to things about Celiac and gluten-free, so we aren't really sure what to believe. Her mother told us this morning about the same medicine, but it still sounded strange. My stepdaughter has told us that since they found out that she has Celiac her mother has still not put her on a gluten-free diet, even before she supposedly started taking this pill, so naturally we are scared to death. Can someone please enlighten me, and calm my nerves, and let me know if such a pill exists?

~China~

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

There are no such pills. There are lots of rip off products you can buy.  If the child has really been diagnosed with Celiac disease, the mother, by failing to treat a chronic disease,  may be guilty of medical negligence.  Your husband may want to consult a lawyer.  

Open Original Shared Link

"The gluten-free diet is a lifetime requirement. Eating any gluten, no matter how small an amount, can damage your intestine."

"Do supplements like GlutenEase (or Gluten Cutter, Digest Gluten Plus, Glutenase) offer protection against accidentally eating gluten?

We put no validity in these supplements. In fact, they may offer a false sense of protection when they provide no protection at all."

China Suttle Newbie

There are no such pills. There are lots of rip off products you can buy.  If the child has really been diagnosed with Celiac disease, the mother, by failing to treat a chronic disease,  may be guilty of medical negligence.  Your husband may want to consult a lawyer.  

"The gluten-free diet is a lifetime requirement. Eating any gluten, no matter how small an amount, can damage your intestine."

"Do supplements like GlutenEase (or Gluten Cutter, Digest Gluten Plus, Glutenase) offer protection against accidentally eating gluten?

We put no validity in these supplements. In fact, they may offer a false sense of protection when they provide no protection at all."

Thank you. That is what we thought. Now she is saying that she may not have Celiac at all, so I guess we will see what happens. Thank you so much for this information.

kareng Grand Master

Also meant to say- maybe her dad should go with them to the doctor? Make sure it's a " real" doctor? Not a chiropracter or "naturopath"?

nvsmom Community Regular

I would look into her medical records.  If she had a positive blood test (tTG IgA, tTG IgG, DGP IgA, DGP IgG, EMA IgA) then she has celiac disease.  If her total serum IgA was low, then her tTG IgA, DGP IgA, and EMA IgA tests will show a false negative and can not be used to diagnose her.  Does she have a positive endoscopic biopsy (at least 6 samples taken)?  She needs to be eating gluten in the 2-3 months prior to testing or the tests could be falsely negative.

Genetic testing will just say if she is part of the population which COULD get celiac disease, not if she has celiac disease.

Oops, Kareng just posted... ditto everything that she said.  :)

China Suttle Newbie

Also meant to say- maybe her dad should go with them to the doctor? Make sure it's a " real" doctor? Not a chiropracter or "naturopath"?

She is covered under our insurance, so we have a list of all the doctors she sees, but it only says "office visit", "labs", etc. As far as we know he is a well respected doctor, but, not to disclose too much about our life, we have had issues with my stepdaughter's mother lying to us, so it is hard to believe anything she says...especially when it is something that concerns my stepdaughter's health and well-being. Thank you so much for your advice, I really appreciate it.

China Suttle Newbie

I would look into her medical records.  If she had a positive blood test (tTG IgA, tTG IgG, DGP IgA, DGP IgG, EMA IgA) then she has celiac disease.  If her total serum IgA was low, then her tTG IgA, DGP IgA, and EMA IgA tests will show a false negative and can not be used to diagnose her.  Does she have a positive endoscopic biopsy (at least 6 samples taken)?  She needs to be eating gluten in the 2-3 months prior to testing or the tests could be falsely negative.

Genetic testing will just say if she is part of the population which COULD get celiac disease, not if she has celiac disease.

Oops, Kareng just posted... ditto everything that she said.   :)

We are trying to get our hands on her medical records, so we can make sure everything checks out. Supposedly she was diagnosed with Crohn's and Celiac, but now her mother has said that it might just be Crohn's. I really do not know what to believe. I guess we will just have to get in touch with the doctors to get all of her records, so we can find out what is really wrong. It is really hard for us to get her records without causing issue with her mother, so we are trying to find a way to get them.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cap6 Enthusiast

Kareng - Thanks for posting the link for the glutenease, digestgluten etc.  I cringe when I hear people suggesting those products.  The last big celiac convention that I attended some of the leading celiac doctors addressed those "gluten aids" stating that they are basically a waste of money.   

kareng Grand Master

We are trying to get our hands on her medical records, so we can make sure everything checks out. Supposedly she was diagnosed with Crohn's and Celiac, but now her mother has said that it might just be Crohn's. I really do not know what to believe. I guess we will just have to get in touch with the doctors to get all of her records, so we can find out what is really wrong. It is really hard for us to get her records without causing issue with her mother, so we are trying to find a way to get them.

You might want to read up on Chrohns . That is very serious. I still think the father should go to the doctor appointments with a list of questions.

kymbp Newbie

Is the child seeing a reputable gastroenterologist?  Whether it Celiac or Chrohn's there should be a gastroenterologist involved in the diagnosis.  Both disorders run in my family and the diagnosis for both usually involve a battery of fairly invasive tests--not just blood work.

If none of the doctors she has seen so far are a gastroenterologist, perhaps you and your husband should take the initiative to have her checked out by one.

If she is a Celiac and not gluten abstainate, she is being put at risk for future problems with Lymphoma.  It needs to be taken seriously.

Archived