This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Mcdonald's French Fries Not Safe?

pixiegirl

happygirl Collaborator

Haha, that would be a good question to ask dear old Herman.

Chances are, he doesn't know. He only has what is printed in front of him.

Shame, shame, shame.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Canadian Karen Community Regular

Found this about "par-frying":

Open Original Shared Link

Karen

bluelotus Contributor

At least they gave you all a method for how the FF are 'de-glutened' - I just got that it was the "processing".

And, its interesting that they told me it was the oil, not the boulion (sp?) as someone else mentioned. If there are some that are still planning on calling, please ask how they test for gluten (since someone was already told that they do test their FF).

Judyin Philly Enthusiast
I have now been on hold for AN HOUR. I don't think they're picking up. My neck is starting to hurt ( my speaker phone is broken).

I may give up in minute here and call again tommorrow.

I am at work after all :P

Elonwy

My god girl I've had my bath, washed my hair, blew it dry, put on make up cause I'm to meet a friend for dinner at McDonalds.... :lol::lol::lol:

Guess we'll go the wend's instead... :ph34r:

I'm so sorry your still on hold..

I'm sure they hung up or are in the emergency metting Karen was talking about..She created such a mental picture...scuring cockroaches... :lol:

We gotta laugh, but bet you an't laughing. oh record holder for 'holding' :blink::lol:

Judy in PHilly

Wow, reading that website and it keeps on mentioning acrylamides. Wondering, okay, what is this stuff? This is what I have found:

Yikes!

Karen

Judyin Philly Enthusiast
Wow, reading that website and it keeps on mentioning acrylamides. Wondering, okay, what is this stuff? This is what I have found:

Yikes!

Karen

the board is quiet...

you sure know how to 'clear out a room'

my god Karen what have you stumbled onto.

judy

I didn't let one go, honest! ;)

Karen

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

Karen

Remeber the first web site you posted just not about de paring or some crap like that well tried to read the damn thing and got to laughing until I went to the bottom of the page and saw this.

what do you make of this...a disclaimer for McD if so let's hide it

While the invention has been particularly shown and described with reference to one or more embodiments, it will be understood by those skilled in the art that various approaches to the reduction of acrylamide in thermally processed foods may be made without departing from the spirit and scope of this invention. For example, while the process has been disclosed herein with regard to potato products, the process can also be used in processing of food products made from corn, barley, Wheat, rye, rice, oats, millet, and other starch-based grains. In addition to potato chips, the invention can be used in making corn chips and other types of snack chips, as well as in cereals, cookies, crackers, hard pretzels, breads and rolls, and the breading for breaded meats. In each of these foods, the present invention's method for manipulating one or more unit operations can be combined with other strategies for the reduction of acrylamide to produce an acceptable acrylamide level without adversely affecting the taste, color, odor, or other characteristics of an individual food.

Is this what they are talking about????? :blink::blink::blink::ph34r:

Judy

SHOOT wrote more but it's gone i'm outa here.

Cheri A Contributor

I sent an email..

I hope someone did have the forsight to print it out... I can't get those pages now... They're probably updating them now.

:ph34r: at those last links... really makes me want to eat there now.

It sounds to me like McDonald's thinks that just because the french fries are "par-fried" , that the gluten is magically eliminated somehow..... However, reading the patent on this "par-fried" way of cooking, I for one am not convinced!!

Karen

bluelotus Contributor

Yikes!

Karen

Acrylamides made the news a lot in the late 90s. They are a toxic (in the long term) substance that accumulates on certain foods fried at high temperatures. We used polyacrylamides in a lab that I worked in a lot, pretty nasty stuff. I don't know much more than that.

teebs in WV Apprentice

Boy - wouldn't you love to be the lucky SOB that got the patent for the "de-glutening deep fryer"? :lol:

Below is an excerpt of a post on another forum. This is what they were told:

Check the site again! Misinformation. Someone called it to their attention, and it was a misprint on the site. They said to wait 48 hours and it would be corrected.

Looks like it has been.

I wonder if the cover-up has begun.......

Karen

Guest nini

the cover up HAS begun apparently.

teebs in WV Apprentice

Check out this link - I googled "gluten in mcdonalds fries" and this is one of the things that came up (not sure how old this article is). Maybe we should go to this reporter with this since her article specifically mentions McDonald's fries being gluten-free?

elfkin Contributor

I was already angry about my run-in with the Bounty paper towel people, now I am un-glued!!!!!!! I have given my celiac children those fries because the list I printed said it was okay!!!! Anyone else ready to rake these people over the coals!? (Deep cleansing breaths!)

:angry::angry::angry::angry:

Guest nini

Do we have any attorneys that post on here that can advise us about our legal rights and maybe a class action lawsuit???

I am so sick of companies that think they can lie and get away with it.

Moongirl Community Regular

This is so rediculous....

this link has an X under gluten column for the fries

AND then they put it on the 'safe' list

Helloooooooo get ur act straight...

Judyin Philly Enthusiast
This is so rediculous....

this link has an X under gluten column for the fries

AND then they put it on the 'safe' list

Helloooooooo get ur act straight...

thanks for the links

I print the first one out last nite when i saw the X under wheat but the gluten free list wasn't showing.

i stll couldn't print from the first link but could on your second link

I've printed them.

Judy

killernj13 Enthusiast

Well, they've updated their gluten-free list and french fries are off of it and the wheat and gluten columns are checked on their allergen list. :(

This still does not fix the fact they had them are their gluten-free list when they knew they were not gluten-free.

Lisa Mentor

Well done everyone!!!! Good job for all the newly diognosed who will know the McD's ff's are not gluten free and they use chemicals that produce cancer in rats. Poor rats (oh, I mean us). :angry:

taweavmo3 Enthusiast

Well, $hit. This really sucks.......Nini, I'm right there with ya nearly in tears. And I'm pissed. McD's has been a treat for my kids, in fact, Emmie has had their fries twice this past week. I know it's complete garbage, but it's the one "normal" fast food thing that she can eat like the other kids.

Of course, if they have contained gluten this whole time, that could help explain why my daughter still has significant developmental delays, which infuriates me even more. Just the idea that this *might* have something to do with it just makes me want to scream. I really don't want to eat there anymore, period.

Anyway, thanks to whoever first posted this (lost track now!). It has taught me to be more skeptical and to remember to check, recheck, and triple check things that I feed my daughter!

Guest schmenge

Full disclosure here: I have worked for McDonald's for 30 years (and have no influence on what has gluten and what does not). I can state with 99.99% certainty that the fries have NOT had gluten now or in the past and that webpage was simply incorrect.

In regards to the cancer causing ingredients, there is some additive (acrylamide, I think) that is quite common in many foods. My understanding is that the jusry is still very out on the risk. I really believe our management is very socailly repsonsible and if concered would act (I was floored by some of the things we did for our people in the wake of Hurricana Katrina that were never "published," but done just because it was right).

The Bacon Ranch Salad was always my favotie and I am trying to find out where the gluten is coming from. :)

chawk310 Apprentice

I just got off the phone with McDonald's Corporation. He was kind enough to inform me that their supplier has stated that all of the wheat and dairy proteins have been removed but could contain remnants. NOTHING has changed in the ingredients, but they have to state "wheat" in the ingredients because of the law that took effect in January 2006. My son has eaten their fries for years and has never had a problem. We will continue to order fries for him. I do not see a problem with this. I hope this helps everyone!

teebs in WV Apprentice

According to Mcdonald's website last night, the bacon contains wheat.....unless that was a misprint too.

I know that all companies, just like all people, make mistakes. The true test will be how they recover from this. (And I do not work for McDs)

Archived