This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What Brand Of Flour Do You Use

Moongirl

Moongirl Community Regular

What brand of flour do you use...i havent ventured into the gluten-free baking yet, but im going to try... :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

I tend to use Bob's Red Mill. (A handful of people have had problems with them, many people do not.) I've also used Namaste mixes, and Montina flour.

MallysMama Explorer
What brand of flour do you use...i havent ventured into the gluten-free baking yet, but im going to try... :D

If you live in a larger city look for an Oriental market. They have the finest and most perfect rice flour you can find! I finally have a package of it that I can look at and give the info for. (I've talked about it in another thread before.) It's made in Thailand by a company called "Erawan Marketing Co., LTD" It comes in 1 lb bags...and though this was bought probably over a year ago - it only costs .59 cents! My parents always bought it for me by the case from this oriental store in Salt Lake City, Utah. But I'm sure any store of that similarity would have it (or something like it). It's in a clear bag with red writing (mostly in symbols of a different language). They have the address and phone # - and I'll give it - but I'm not sure how accurate it still is. (and it's in a diff. country...)

Erawan Marketing Co., LTD

1774/77 Soi Savetyotin (63)

Charansanitwong Rd., Bangkoknoi

Bangkok, 10700, Thailand

Tel: 424-0675, 433-6311-2 (that's how it's listed...?)

Fax: 66-2-4336309

So, anyway....there's all that info. It's seriously the best flour to cook with. Just add a little xanthan gum and you can make almost anything with the same normal recipe.

flagbabyds Collaborator

I use Ener-g. I always get sick from Bobs Red Mill

plantime Contributor

I get Ener-G and make my own combinations.

mart Contributor

In my quest to make a decent gluten-free bread, I have tried pretty much every brand. My favorite is by Authentic Foods Brown Rice Flour Super Fine. This flour has been recommended by every gluten-free cookbook author I know of. You have to order it directly from Authentic Foods, it's a bit expensive but it is PREMIUM and worth it. With it, I was able to make gluten-free chocolate chip cookies that are as the Mrs. Fields cookies (gluten-free recipe from Gourmet Magazine). The recipe involves a lot of ingredients, but the end result is a cookie that tastes like cookies are supposed to taste. Anyone who doesn't already have this recipe, let me know, and I'll be happy to post it.

TCA Contributor
In my quest to make a decent gluten-free bread, I have tried pretty much every brand. My favorite is by Authentic Foods Brown Rice Flour Super Fine. This flour has been recommended by every gluten-free cookbook author I know of. You have to order it directly from Authentic Foods, it's a bit expensive but it is PREMIUM and worth it. With it, I was able to make gluten-free chocolate chip cookies that are as the Mrs. Fields cookies (gluten-free recipe from Gourmet Magazine). The recipe involves a lot of ingredients, but the end result is a cookie that tastes like cookies are supposed to taste. Anyone who doesn't already have this recipe, let me know, and I'll be happy to post it.

I'm still experimenting, but I also LOVE this flour. It's so smooth. Bob's red mill hasn't given me any problems, but their rice flour is sooo course. I've started just using it in cornbread to use it up. I do like thier bread mix, though.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

barbara3675 Rookie

Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free All Purpose Flour Mixture. I sub it in on recipes with success most of the time. I used it because I think I am too lazy to try buying other flours and mixing them together. I am happy with Bob's. I use it to thicken white sauce and gravy too I don't bake bread so I don't know how it would perform there. The two recipes on the back of the package are good---one is banana bread and the other is a chocolate cake. Barbara

GlutenFreeGirlie Rookie

We use Bob's Red Mill flours all of the time. Sometimes we buy Ener-g, but I am happy with the Bob's all purpose mix- it just saves time. They have the best brownie mix ever!!! I know some people can have problems with Bob's, but we never have and they have so many choices.

Cheri A Contributor

I also use Bob's Red Mill sorghum flour, potato starch and tapioca starch that I blend together myself. We are quite limited in what we can use and haven't seen any problems w/those 3 packages yet. I have looked longingly at the premix stuff/packaged things that we cannot have.

Mart ~ I'd love the link to your flours and the cookie recipe too.

I-am-silly-yak Newbie

I use Bob's Red Mill All Purpose Baking Flour, too. It's perfect for me. I add two teaspoons of Xanthan Gum and some baking poweder to make all kinds of quickbreads. I also buy their gluten-free Pancake Mix. I've never had any reaction to it but I've heard some people might if they're also allergic to corn. Bob's has a pretty cool website with tons o recipes.

Carriefaith Enthusiast

I like Kinnikinnick. I have reacted to Bob's Red Mill flaxseed, so I don't eat their products anymore.

VydorScope Proficient

My kroger only carries Bobs Red Mill and Arrowhead.. so those are the ones I tend to use....

penguin Community Regular

Bob's Red Mill is on my "not my friend" list, along with Amy's, WingStop, Central Market, my local asian market, and McDonald's (fries be damned, their food still makes me sick)

Gluten me once, shame on you. Gluten me twice, shame on me.

As for flour, I'm in the market, as it were....

I'm thinking I'll go with the enerG stuff, no reactions from any of their stuff so far...

Is their stuff any good?

key Contributor

Bob's Red Mill is also on my DO NOT EAT list. I have been sick from several things from there. I just avoid it now. I like Pamela's mix for some stuff. RIght now I am just using the Gluten Free Pantry mixes for now. They seem to have many good things.

Monica

mart Contributor

Cheri, I'll pm the link and recipe to you!

Archived