This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

The Most Delicious Home-made Gluten Free Bread I've Ever Tasted...

mamatide

JennyC Enthusiast

Sounds like too much liquid.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply
lorka150 Collaborator

So I discovered! After adding flax it came out much better but I think I need to reduce the yeast by 1/2tsp since I'm still getting the uneven funky rising thing going on but its like 3-4 inches instead of the 6-8 it was doing without the flax.

For the book you have right now, have you considered selling digital copies? The price of shipping makes the book pretty expensive and is a major drawback, at least for me. I'm spoiled by Amazons free shipping:)

I haven't considered it but that is a good idea! Let me get my head around it and I will let you know!!!

If anyone wants to do any testing for this new book, please send me a PM asap! (Yeast breads, especially!)

BlueTaelon Rookie

Anyone know how well this doubles? I want to try it in a commercial sized pan which usually requires doubling of the recipe.

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
WVSweetie Pie Rookie

Help, please. I made this bread last week and it is delicious. However, it did not raise over the pan (as some have stated) and then shrunk after baking and taking out of the oven. It was probably 2 1/2 in. high. What am I doing wrong? My ingredients are room temp., yeast is new, etc. I beat it with my flat beater on my Kitchen Aid. Should I have used the other beater to incorporate more air into it? I'm making it again today and want it to be like everyone else experiences. Thanks.

celiac-mommy Collaborator

Anyone know how well this doubles? I want to try it in a commercial sized pan which usually requires doubling of the recipe.

Thanks!

I double the recipe with no issues. I make 4 loaves at a time.

BlueTaelon Rookie

I double the recipe with no issues. I make 4 loaves at a time.

I should have been clearer:) Commercial pans are 16" long and you end up with a loaf the size of a loaf like you would buy from a store. Not every recipe works for using these pans, for example banana bread.

Edit cause I'm stupid, it was another awesome bread recipe I did yesterday thats easier but I think this one beats it on the taste and chewiness factor.

• 2 weeks later...
Mary.Ann Newbie

Bumping this popular thread.... smile.gif

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 2 weeks later...
kannne Explorer

I need help with this recipe. The first time I made it turned out great but the next 4 times it hasn't worked at all.. The "problem" it that I don't remember what "gluten-free flour" blend I used the first time. I think I used something with sorghummel but I don't remember..

# 1 1/4 cups gluten-free flour

# 1/4 cup garfava flour

# 1/2 cup potato starch

# 1/4 cup cornstarch

# 1/4 cup flax seed meal

# 2 1/2 teaspoons xanthan gum

# 2 teaspoons active dry yeast

# 1 teaspoon salt

# 2 eggs

# 2 egg whites

# 1 cup water or 1 cup milk

# 2 tablespoons vegetable oil

# 2 tablespoons honey

# 2 teaspoons vinegar

Does anyone have a good flour blend recipe?

Is the water supposed to be warm or cold?

BlueTaelon Rookie

I need help with this recipe. The first time I made it turned out great but the next 4 times it hasn't worked at all.. The "problem" it that I don't remember what "gluten-free flour" blend I used the first time. I think I used something with sorghummel but I don't remember..

# 1 1/4 cups gluten-free flour

# 1/4 cup garfava flour

# 1/2 cup potato starch

# 1/4 cup cornstarch

# 1/4 cup flax seed meal

# 2 1/2 teaspoons xanthan gum

# 2 teaspoons active dry yeast

# 1 teaspoon salt

# 2 eggs

# 2 egg whites

# 1 cup water or 1 cup milk

# 2 tablespoons vegetable oil

# 2 tablespoons honey

# 2 teaspoons vinegar

Does anyone have a good flour blend recipe?

Is the water supposed to be warm or cold?

I used 1 Cup Sorghum, 1/4 cup brown rice flour and 1/4 cup white rice flour for the gluten-free flour and to replace the garfava flour. You want the water to be about 110F to help the yeast rise. Comes out perfect every time!:)

kannne Explorer

Which size is the eggs?

Are the eggs room temperature (70F)?

missy'smom Collaborator

Which size is the eggs?

Are the eggs room temperature (70F)?

Large eggs are the standard for baking.

TPT Explorer

How long does this bread stay fresh? Is it good for everyday sandwich making?

• 4 years later...
sreilly Newbie

i am really ecstatic that you are all enjoying my bread.

smile.gif

Can you please post the recipe?

kareng Grand Master

Can you please post the recipe?

You might want to read the whole thread - several recipes are posted.  I do not think Lorka will see your post - she posted in 2007

mamaw Community Regular

Sorry for some reason I can't copy & paste to here... I have  made Lorka's  bread  many times  , very good... If you  google  Lorka's gluten free flax bread  her recipe  will come up as I just  did that  but again can't  copy & paste to here....I don't  think  she  is on here  anymore....

kareng Grand Master

Its in the first post on this very old and very long thread!   :D

Archived