arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

arrowJoin Celiac.com's New Online Support Group

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

The Most Delicious Home-made Gluten Free Bread I've Ever Tasted...

• Please log in to reply
336 replies to this topic

#316 halfrunner

halfrunner

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 09:16 AM

I've made this bread twice now, the 1st time I messed up and forgot to add the vinegar and didn't notice I subbed tapioca for the corn starch. The 2nd time I got it right and started baking it before it reached the edge of the pan. Both times it rose ridiculously high and spectacularly collapsed when I pulled it out of the oven:( I've read the whole thread and for the life of me I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong:( The only thing I didn't do was add the flax since I didn't have any, does it make that much of a difference?

It might make that much of a difference. Flax is often used as a "binding" agent in recipes.
Some people merely follow their dreams. Other people hunt them down and beat them into submission.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#317 celiac-mommy

celiac-mommy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,692 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 10:32 AM

Do I need to heat the water/milk?

No. If I use water, I just run it tepid. If I use milk, I just take it straight out of the fridge!

I've made this bread twice now, the 1st time I messed up and forgot to add the vinegar and didn't notice I subbed tapioca for the corn starch. The 2nd time I got it right and started baking it before it reached the edge of the pan. Both times it rose ridiculously high and spectacularly collapsed when I pulled it out of the oven:( I've read the whole thread and for the life of me I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong:( The only thing I didn't do was add the flax since I didn't have any, does it make that much of a difference?

I've never forgot the vinegar, but once I read it wrong and added the vinegar in TBS instead of tsp! Thought it would ruin, but turned out fine. I actually sub the flax with another gluten-free flour bc my kids don't care for the taste of it. I've never had it fail. I can tell you I get varying heights off the bread each time I make it, but the flavor is consistant. This is what I do:
Boil water in a shallow oven-safe skillet (not cast iron!!)
Preheat oven to the lowest temp-mine is 170
Stick pan of water on the lowest rack of the oven (will steam bread)
Follow directions for ingredients
Once in mixer, mix on highest speed for 5 min
Turn off oven
Fill bread pan(s) as directed
Put pans into middle rack of oven for 80 minutes.
--if bread has started to slide a bit over the sides of the pan, I just scoop all that dough back onto the middle of the loaf
Turn oven to temp suggested
I bake mine for 45 minutes
I test mine by giving the top of the loaf a thump, if it sounds hollow and the top is nice and crusty, I call it done!
Cool on a rack for ~10 minutes
Remove from pans (so bottoms don't get soggy)
Cool on racks completely--unless you can't stand it and you MUST have a slice with some homemade jam, but that's just me :D

Rachelle 20dance.gif

Daughter diagnosed 1/06 bloodwork and biopsy
-gluten-free since 1/06

Son tested negative-bloodwork (8/07), intestinal issues prompted biospy (3/08), results negative, but very positive dietary response, Dr. diagnosed Celiac disease (3/8)

#318 BlueTaelon

BlueTaelon

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 03:20 PM

ok, picked up some flax seed today to grind. Does it matter which type? Brown or gold?

#319 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 04:19 AM

Boil water in a shallow oven-safe skillet (not cast iron!!)
Preheat oven to the lowest temp-mine is 170
Stick pan of water on the lowest rack of the oven (will steam bread)
Cool on racks completely--unless you can't stand it and you MUST have a slice with some homemade jam, but that's just me Posted Image

I have kind of a dumb question...do you take the pan of hot water out of the oven when you bake the bread or just leave it in?

I have a very hard time trying to cool bread completely before I cut off a slice. Posted Image
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#320 halfrunner

halfrunner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 02:47 PM

ok, picked up some flax seed today to grind. Does it matter which type? Brown or gold?

Nope. :D
Some people merely follow their dreams. Other people hunt them down and beat them into submission.

#321 lorka150

lorka150

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 06:27 PM

Hello everyone! Glad to see this thread is still kicking. This is my bread recipe, and to answer the question about the flax, it's a must for this specific recipe.

If anyone ever has troubleshooting, feel free to shoot me an email (send me a PM first). I don't come to the boards too often as I'm pretty busy but will help anyone via email no problem! My all bread book will be out in 2011; we're just going through the editing process right now.

Speaking of which... If you have requests, let me know. I can still add a few in there! :)
Gluten-free, Vegan

#322 AlysounRI

AlysounRI

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 06:35 PM

I'm assuming the vinegar is white vinegar.

I would assume it's cider vinegar :)

That tends to be what is used as a leavener in gluten-free bread recipes :)
Long history of IBS, and stomach/intestinal problems. Low on iron for all of my life.
Low on energy, with aches and pains in my joints and in my whole body for as long as I can remember.
Mostly lactose intolerant for all of my life (except for yoghurt)
Diagnosed in 2003 by naturapath as wheat intolerant. Tried it then fell of the wagon. In Feb. 2010 tried going gluten-free.
Went back to the poison in March, 2010.
Tested negative for celiac in April, 2010 (based on negative biopsy and normal tTG test). IgA tested 30-40 percent higher than normal.
Not going to fight the diagnosis because I refuse to go back to the poison. Happily gluten-free for health reasons as of April 2010, and not looking back.

#323 BlueTaelon

BlueTaelon

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 06:39 PM

Hello everyone! Glad to see this thread is still kicking. This is my bread recipe, and to answer the question about the flax, it's a must for this specific recipe.

If anyone ever has troubleshooting, feel free to shoot me an email (send me a PM first). I don't come to the boards too often as I'm pretty busy but will help anyone via email no problem! My all bread book will be out in 2011; we're just going through the editing process right now.

Speaking of which... If you have requests, let me know. I can still add a few in there! :)

So I discovered! After adding flax it came out much better but I think I need to reduce the yeast by 1/2tsp since I'm still getting the uneven funky rising thing going on but its like 3-4 inches instead of the 6-8 it was doing without the flax.

For the book you have right now, have you considered selling digital copies? The price of shipping makes the book pretty expensive and is a major drawback, at least for me. I'm spoiled by Amazons free shipping:)

#324 celiac-mommy

celiac-mommy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,692 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 05:49 PM

I have kind of a dumb question...do you take the pan of hot water out of the oven when you bake the bread or just leave it in?

I have a very hard time trying to cool bread completely before I cut off a slice. Posted Image

i leave it in thru the rise and the bake!

I would assume it's cider vinegar :)

That tends to be what is used as a leavener in gluten-free bread recipes :)

i use white or cider--whichever i grab first ;)

Rachelle 20dance.gif

-gluten-free since 1/06

Son tested negative-bloodwork (8/07), intestinal issues prompted biospy (3/08), results negative, but very positive dietary response, Dr. diagnosed Celiac disease (3/8)

#325 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 06:16 AM

i leave it in thru the rise and the bake!

Thanks, Rachelle! I will try the pan of hot water...am I to assume it'll make a "crustier" bread?
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#326 JennyC

JennyC

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 07:59 PM

Sounds like too much liquid.
Jenny

Son 6 yrs old, Positive blood work, Outstanding dietary response, no biopsy.
Household mostly gluten free since 3/07

Me: HLA-DQ 02 & 0302 (DQ 08), which I ran & analyzed myself!Currently gluten lite, negative tTG, asymptomatic

#327 lorka150

lorka150

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 09:48 AM

So I discovered! After adding flax it came out much better but I think I need to reduce the yeast by 1/2tsp since I'm still getting the uneven funky rising thing going on but its like 3-4 inches instead of the 6-8 it was doing without the flax.

For the book you have right now, have you considered selling digital copies? The price of shipping makes the book pretty expensive and is a major drawback, at least for me. I'm spoiled by Amazons free shipping:)

I haven't considered it but that is a good idea! Let me get my head around it and I will let you know!!!

If anyone wants to do any testing for this new book, please send me a PM asap! (Yeast breads, especially!)
Gluten-free, Vegan

#328 BlueTaelon

BlueTaelon

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 12:51 PM

Anyone know how well this doubles? I want to try it in a commercial sized pan which usually requires doubling of the recipe.

Thanks!

#329 WVSweetie Pie

WVSweetie Pie

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 06:30 AM

Help, please. I made this bread last week and it is delicious. However, it did not raise over the pan (as some have stated) and then shrunk after baking and taking out of the oven. It was probably 2 1/2 in. high. What am I doing wrong? My ingredients are room temp., yeast is new, etc. I beat it with my flat beater on my Kitchen Aid. Should I have used the other beater to incorporate more air into it? I'm making it again today and want it to be like everyone else experiences. Thanks.

#330 celiac-mommy

celiac-mommy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,692 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 09:08 AM

Anyone know how well this doubles? I want to try it in a commercial sized pan which usually requires doubling of the recipe.

Thanks!

I double the recipe with no issues. I make 4 loaves at a time.

Rachelle 20dance.gif

-gluten-free since 1/06

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: