This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Rice Paper & Your Asian Market Shopping List

2wheels4eyes

2wheels4eyes Explorer

I'd like to start working rice paper into the rotation but hear some brands may not be gluten-free and may not say this on the label if they're imported. I'd also like to purchase a brand found in Asian markets if possible because this will be a lot cheaper.

Any brand suggestions?

While I'm at it--anyone who typically shops at Asian markets--what brands/food items are you buying in general? I haven't darkened the door of my local purveyor of all things imported and dubiously translated since going gluten-free but I'd love to start again.

Thank you!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

missy'smom Collaborator

I don't know if I can be much help. I used to love shopping Asian markets and picking up this and that and used to cook 50% of our meals Japanese. But I'm still playing it safe. Right now I'm relying on my husband for translation/research. I question the accuracy of translation on the labels as well, so we've been checking out brand websites, mostly Japanese language. But some companies have English websites as well. I recently bought the dining cards for international cuisines and they have provided me with some helpful information. But we still haven't started shopping yet. What kinds of products did you used to buy? Or catagories, like canned goods snacks etc.? I want to try Thai or Vietnamese rice flour as I've heard it's softer and less gritty than our rice flour.

Update:I always buy dried s$#&ake mushrooms. I even found some that are pre-diced and great for adding to dishes as is because they're small pieces and re-hydrate quickly. Also buy rambutans(lychee) stuffed with pineapple bits for my son's lunch.

dionnek Enthusiast

I buy my rice flour (have only found white and sweet rice flour), tapioca starch, and potato starch at the asian market, and also buy huge bags of rice, but that is about all (sometimes coconut milk). I don't know what brands - just pick up whatever they have. If there is an ingredient list, it is usually in english also (most things don't have ingredients b/c there isn't anything in it other than "rice flour" or whatever). I don't venture into the other foods there - too scary. :)

Felidae Enthusiast

For asian products, I simply read the ingredients. Most rice noodles and papers should only have rice and water as ingredients. Rice flour usually has just rice. And so on...

GeoffCJ Enthusiast
For asian products, I simply read the ingredients. Most rice noodles and papers should only have rice and water as ingredients. Rice flour usually has just rice. And so on...

I shop at chinese/vietnamese groceries a lot, but normally have my wife and/or mom-in-law along for help. I've found rice noodles and paper to be pretty safe. I'm pretty wary in general. I recently found some rice crackers, clearly covered in sesame seeds, that didn't list sesame seeds ANYwhere on the ingredients, so that makes me leery.

But honestly, if it doesn't have Soy Sauce in it, or something obvious on the list, I'll likely try it.

Geoff

Nancym Enthusiast

Oh yay! A topic near and dear to my heart. I'm still trying to figure out if Chinkiang Black Vinegar is gluten-free or not. I found someone with a gluten-free cooking blog that uses it, so maybe it is!

Open Original Shared Link

Anyone know?

Felidae Enthusiast
I shop at chinese/vietnamese groceries a lot, but normally have my wife and/or mom-in-law along for help. I've found rice noodles and paper to be pretty safe. I'm pretty wary in general. I recently found some rice crackers, clearly covered in sesame seeds, that didn't list sesame seeds ANYwhere on the ingredients, so that makes me leery.

But honestly, if it doesn't have Soy Sauce in it, or something obvious on the list, I'll likely try it.

Geoff

Yeah, that's why I tend to stick with rice noodles, papers and rice/tapioca flours.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Aizlynn Rookie

There is a rice wrap at the asian market that has a red rose on it and I have had success with that! and it is soooooooo cheap.

larry mac Enthusiast

Hey all,

Really dumb question. What do you make with rice paper? Egg rolls probably, but what else? Dumplings? Would you just substitute in a normal recipe, or are there special gluten-free recipes for these things.

thanks, lm

lorka150 Collaborator
Hey all,

Really dumb question. What do you make with rice paper? Egg rolls probably, but what else? Dumplings? Would you just substitute in a normal recipe, or are there special gluten-free recipes for these things.

thanks, lm

i make a thai lasagne.

i also buy rice and soba noodles, oils and vinegars, these really neat rice nuggets (like gnocchi).

GeoffCJ Enthusiast
Hey all,

thanks, lm

Spring Rolls! Vietnamese style, unfried, with Fish Sauce. You can put all kinds of things in there, my wife and I make a million variations. Love them, had them for dinner tonight. Most are "naturally" gluten free.

Check the following for ideas - I didn't check them all for gluten-free, but they should be or easily made gluten free.

Give them a try!

Geoff

Felidae Enthusiast
Hey all,

thanks, lm

They are great for tuna salad sandwiches.

ArtGirl Enthusiast

Spring rolls - they sound yummy.

They are great for tuna salad sandwiches.

Gotta go get some rice paper - there's an oriental market just blocks from my place.

missy'smom Collaborator
Hey all,

thanks, lm

We used to take spring roll wrappers and lay on a line of raw, baby spinach leaves and a strip of gruyere cheese put a little cornstarch mixed with water on the edges and roll up tightly. Deep fry and serve with soy sauce to which a little spicy chinese mustard( don't know if this ingredient is gluten-free) has been added. Yum!

larry mac Enthusiast
We used to take spring roll wrappers and lay on a line of raw, baby spinach leaves and a strip of gruyere cheese put a little cornstarch mixed with water on the edges and roll up tightly. Deep fry and serve with soy sauce to which a little spicy chinese mustard( don't know if this ingredient is gluten-free) has been added. Yum!

mm,

Are spring roll wrappers rice paper, or normally wheat like regular egg rolls? thanks, lm

missy'smom Collaborator
mm,

Are spring roll wrappers rice paper, or normally wheat like regular egg rolls? thanks, lm

The kind we used were thin and square and fried up thin and crisp a bit like phyllo not thick and blistered like egg rolls from the chinese take out places. Unfortunately the (Harumaki) wraps are not gluten free but we want to try it with the rice paper. Hubby thinks it will work. The ones we bought have a picture of deep fried rolls on the front. Don't fill them up too much for this "recipie" they should be long and thin with several layers of skin to protect the filling from coming out and oil from getting inside. The spinach will cook and shrink . OK I just checked Geoffs links and two of them give instructions on fried rolls using the rice paper. Yeah! THANKS GEOFF! I was cooking dinner tonight and thinking about this thread and this memory came back to me. Still really want to get this kind of stuff back into my like but it's a long process. I don't miss pizza or cake or bread. It's this stuff I miss.

larry mac Enthusiast
....fried up thin and crisp a bit like phyllo not thick and blistered like egg rolls from the chinese take out places..... Don't fill them up too much for this "recipie" they should be long and thin with several layers of skin to protect the filling from coming out and oil from getting inside.....

mm,

My good friend's Phillipino wife makes the most awesome "Lumpia rolls". They're thinner like you said without a lot of cabbage like egg rolls have. They serve them with a delicious asian chili sauce. Guess if I want those again, I'll have to make my own.

best regards, lm

Guest AutumnE

They also make tasty crab rangoons. A while back someone posted a recipe for baklava using rice papers.

Archived