This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Weight Loss Suppourt Thread (shannonl) And Any Others Who Want To Join

Guest AutumnE

Mayflowers Contributor

Autumn. I read what you were talking about in Wikipedia. It does mention that they are mildly toxic containing a tiny amount of cyanide that cooking destroys, and it's not recommeded to eat them raw. So? For that matter Kidney beans are also poisonous and must be cooked, not to mention, rhubarb, green parts of potatoes that killed hundreds of families in Ireland when they made potato sprout soup. Bye the way, the potato poison has no antidote. Many nutritionists think we shouldn't eat nightshade vegetables. We eat a lot more things that have "poison" than you think.

If you want reputable information, go to PubMed site where medical doctors search articles for research. Then search elderberry and you'll see studies where it actually does kill the flu and pneumonia virus and prevent infection if eaten regularly. This is a medical website. They wouldn't be doing studies with something that was "poisonous". If elderberries contained cyanide after cooking it, you wouldn't be able to buy elderberry jelly anywhere or buy elderberry tea or syrup in vitamin shoppe.

Again, like I did in my last message I apologize for my post and I didn't intend it to be nasty. If I wanted it to be nasty, mean and "rude", as our moderator put it, I would have used an angry smilie. Which as you can see I didn't. That's the way we talk in NJ. At least in my area (no offense to Jerseyangel intended or anyone else living in jersey please). We talk with an pushy attitude in our tone, but it's only in making conversation. I get excited over things that work for me.

I don't know if I mentioned it but I work in a medical school, for 9 years in Pediatrics. One of the doctors there was so impressed by my research on elderberry that she told me to publish an article and she was telling all the other MD's there that I helped her get over a cold that lasted weeks that she could not get rid of. So, I will, as I previously mentioned, am going to publish an article on elderberry per her recommendation. I hope you all read it. I'm done...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply
KristineH Newbie

Hi everyone!

This is only my third post on here... I'm 24 years old, and I was diagnosed with celiac (luckily) when I was a baby. I've had it my whole life, and I always thought I wasn't very sensitive, so to this day I still eat the bad salad dressings, soups, sauces, take bites of things, drink beer... etc. Just recently I got really sick from travelling, and I still can't shake it. I think it was the best thing that could happen to me, because it has made me think really hard about the food that I'm eating. For example, I'm trying to get better by eating soups with modified corn starch (dumbest thing I could do, probably). I just recently found this website and I've been reading the message boards... and today I realized that I have been in celiac-denial. :o

So Hi everyone, my name's Kristine... I've been in celiac-denial for 24 years now. Today is my first day that I have decided to become completely gluten-free. I threw away every bad thing in my cupboards and fridge tonight, and I'm going shopping tomorrow.

The reason why I'm posting here is because I have been about 30 pounds overweight for my whole teenage-adult life. A few years ago I went on a great diet, which was completely gluten-free (which was only a bonus to the diet) and lost all of my extra weight. That still didn't phase me, obviously, because I went back to all my normal eating habits a few months later and gained it all back. Even with eating very healthy (but not avoiding the hidden bad foods), and working out almost every day, I still have not been able to shed this weight. Another side effect to all of this that I've had is moderate depression, off and on, and I was still in such celiac-denial that I assumed it was alcohol (I know it's partly that) that was affecting me. How could I not realize that it was everything that I was eating too?? :blink: (knowing full well the symptoms of celiac disease include weight-gain, fatigue, and depression.)

Anyways, today was my 'aha' moment... and I needed to share. Tomorrow I'm doing some serious grocery shopping, and starting my diet, and I'm going to track my progress and weight loss (hopefully) and share it here.

So.. thanks everyone for listening. :unsure: These message boards are great. Hope to talk to some of you soon!

-Kristine

Kaycee Collaborator

Hi Kristine and welcome. Glad you have found us.

I hope your today's "aha" moment lasts, as I am sure it will, sometimes we do need a reminder (an aha moment) about what we are doing. It is a bit like looking in the mirror and not liking what is looking back at us. I wish you luck.

I had an "aha" moment a few years back when I tipped the scales at 90kg (14 stone) and got down to serious dieting and said I will never go back there, and now I stand at (I say shamefully) 13stone as the last couple of years I have lost zilch, or put on a couple of pounds. But that is where the rot will stay, even if this diet is only for maintaining my weight, I will be happy, as I do not want to be 14 stone again.

Today has been busy, we picked up my mother from Dargaville, and took her to the airport and sent her on her way, and this afternoon we have been cleaining. My third son had his 19th birthday today, and unfortunately he was called up for jury duty, but he was challenged so is home again for the rest of the day to eat cake!

I have been pretty good eating today, and did loose the lb I put on last week. There seems to be a pattern there, I put on a pound, then I loose it the next week and the circle happens again. Maybe I could just avoid the week I put the pound on.

Cathy

lonewolf Collaborator

Welcome Kristine! I hope we can give you some support for weight loss as well as encouragement to stay gluten-free. I think we all know first hand the bad effects of eating gluten.

Diana - apology accepted. Interesting that you've done research on elderberries. We actually take elderberry syrup (Sambucol). The oil of oregano that we always swear by didn't help with this flu either. I'm the only one who escaped it.

Cathy - congratulations on the pound! I hope you keep it off and lose another one.

I lost the five pounds I gained. Must have been mostly water. I'm back on track now with my eating and exercise, so hopefully I'll start heading down again. I want to lose 12 more pounds before summer starts, which should be doable if I work hard.

jerseyangel Proficient

Liz--That is great about losing those 5 pounds! You're right--it must have been water. Whatever the case, they're gone :D You're so dedicated to this--I know you'll lose the remaining pounds by summer B)

Welcome Kristine :) Best of luck on beginning the gluten-free diet, as well as a weight loss diet! Stick to naturally gluten-free foods, drink lots of water and I'll bet it won't be too difficult at all for you. I lost some weight when I first went gluten-free.

Hi Autumn--I hope you had a nice, calm weekend! :)

I've been doing ok, food-wise. I've been having stomach problems this weekend, so not much of an appetite. I was nauseous Sat. afternoon--I'd eaten nothing out of the ordinary. Felt better yesterday--actually got tons done around the house--but was up from 2-5 last night feeling nauseous again. Still queasy this morning :angry:

I did buy some digestive enzymes on Saturday, but this started before I took any. I took one before each meal yesterday, and felt good all day. I had lots of energy. Who knows, sometimes :blink:

I'm still hanging on to the few pounds I gained over Easter :(

Onward and upward :lol:

Viola 1 Rookie

Hi All! And welcome to the new people in the thread. I promise I will catch up on everyone in the next few days. I just got home today and am way behind in everything :(

It was a hectic and stressful trip up north. We ended up putting mom in hospital via ambulance a week ago last Sunday. I think she will simply be moved to the extended care unit after they get enough fluids in her. Her kidneys are failing and she was very dehydrated. She is not eating either, so it's not good. The good thing is that her kidneys went up from an 8 to a 13. Just above where you need to do dialisis. They don't have a dialisis unit in that town, so not sure on how it will be worked.

Dad went down for his angiogram when we were there to stay with Mom. They have found the problem and he will have to go down to Vancouver again in about a month to repair it. Otherwise he is doing fairly well. So ... until things really change again, my brother will hold the fort as he lives up there.

I haven't weighed in since I left here, so don't know how I did with the weight. I do know that a pair of pants I had trouble buttening up weren't so hard to do up last week, so maybe the stress and travel will have a good side when I step on the scale. :rolleyes:

Today was ... two eggs, two and a half bacon (Sheba had the other half) :lol: and a few hashbrowns for breakfast.

Lunch was a low fat cheese sandwich

supper was a salad with low fat cheese and a cinnamon bun .. gluten free of course. :ph34r: But not callorie free.

To tired for any more, so good night all!

lonewolf Collaborator

Welcome back, Shirley! Sorry your mom is having such trouble.

Patti - I hope your stomach has calmed down.

I was bad today :angry: . I didn't eat any sugar or anything "fun", I just ate too much of everything. I guess I was celebrating overtime after going to my physical yesterday and realizing that I've lost 18 pounds on the doctor's scale since last time I was in there last May or June. I'll get back on track again tomorrow.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Sissy Rookie

I've been following your posts and the stories all sound so familiar to me that I would like to join in...I was dx last October with Celiac and went into total shock and depression. I thought how am I ever going to give up eating everything that I love and have eaten all my life??? I had a major pity party for months...managed to go gluten free, but made up for what I left out by eating as much of everything else that I wanted and the results are showing and it is not pretty...so there is good and bad ...the good is that I am not sick and I no longer find it necessary to immediately know the location of every bathroom the minute I arrive somewhere and of course the bad news is that I am feeling a little like Petunia Pig. I have a great incentive to adjust my eating habits, we have a 31 day cruise booked next April from Sydney to Los Angeles and I want to board that ship feeling slim, healthy and well, not to mention that I don't want to have to buy all new clothes..we have been traveling for the past 4 years since my husband retired and I have lots of clothes that I save just for cruising.

I know exercise is key and with the support of my wonderful DH we are starting a walking regime...he is a lifelong runner and he will first walk my miles with me and then take off running, I know he is only walking for me because he gets all his much loved??? exercise when he runs. I have to add that I really hate exercising.

The house is being purged of all temptations, I am just going to have to do this cold turkey..no more ice cream and no more I feel sorry for myself gluten free cookies..I am not one who can just eat one. I have not tried losing weight since my dx, but know from this thread that I have a challenge in front of me...I am just happy to have others to chat with about it daily. Sissy

jerseyangel Proficient

Hi Sissy! So good to "see" you again, and I'm glad that you've joined our little group :) I really know what you mean about not being able to eat "just one"--I'm the same way--I really need to get my portions under control.

Shirley--welcome back! I missed you :D I'm very sorry to hear about your mom. Do keep us posted on her and your dad. Get some rest, I'm sure you need it after your busy trip.

I'm feeling much better--I still don't know what hit my stomach. I've been too afraid to try the digestive enzymes again, but I felt sick the day before I started them....The only other thing new was I had a small bottle of San Pelligrino water on Saturday afternoon. I started feeling sick shortly after that. Sometimes I get so sick of trying to figure out how I got sick :angry:

I did lose one of the pounds I gained--so that's something :lol: . I'm also eating nutritiously, but just too much of everything! When I'm feeling well, I almost feel like I need to "take advantage" of it and eat. I think it dates back to when I would feel sick most of the time--now, it's the opposite. I feel well most of the time, but I guess my mind has not caught up with that reality yet. :blink:

It's supposed to warm up this weekend--I hope to get back to walking in the evenings with Mark.

Sissy Rookie

Did well yesterday sticking to my food plan, 1 day down and the rest of my life to go...OMG, I better not say that it is too overwhelming to think about...tomorrow I go grocery shopping and Robert and I have vowed no ice cream or goodies...for some reason he doesn't miss that stuff, just me...but he will eat it if I buy it.

Pre Celiac I went to Jenny Craig a few times and her program was really successful for me...lost and kept it off and loved the food...I sure wish I could do that now, but they want nothing to do with me since I have Celiac disease.

Hope everyone is having a good day, we are finally warming up here and it is a nice day to take a walk.

Sissy

lonewolf Collaborator

Welcome, Sissy! I hope we can get the thread going a little more actively again.

I've been doing horribly the past few days. I've gained the 5 pounds again. I've been working out, but I've just been eating too much. It's so hard to lose and keep off and so easy to put back on that I'm just disgusted with myself that I've "fallen off the wagon". I'm going to start posting all my food intake again even if it is slow here. That was so helpful to me. Since it's been slow on here and I feel like I'm monopolizing the thread sometimes I've stopped, but I'm going to start again because I need some sort of accountability. I'm now trying to lose 17 pounds before June 10th.

I hope you all - Patti, Diana, Autumn, Sissy, Shannon, Shirley, Cathy, Kat and anyone I missed - will join in again actively! And anyone else "lurking" please feel free to join us.

jerseyangel Proficient

Gosh Liz--I'm going through almost the same thing! I'm not watching my portions and I'm snacking more :ph34r: --which is really my downfall. I concur that it's a struggle to get the pounds off, and so darn easy to put them back on :angry:

I gained about 4 pounds total around Easter, and have managed to lose only one. I am doing my Pilates with the cardio board, but the afternoons are getting to be a problem with snacking between lunch and dinner.

I do well at meals, for instance yesterday:

B--toast with almond butter, banana

L--Salad with olive oil and vinegar

Snacks-- :ph34r: a brownie (Liz's recipe, yum! :P ), several grabs of chocolate chips, couple handfulls of potato chips...

D--Hamburger on gluten-free toast, a few more chips

S--Almond milk with 1 tsp. sugar and 1 tsp. cocoa heated in microwave

Now looking at this, I should have had some protein with lunch, and added a baked potato at dinner instead of more chips. My husband wasn't home for dinner, so Matt and I just grabbed what was in the fridge.

I could literally eat stedily between lunch and dinner! Somebody help me :lol:

Oh--I went back to using my digestive enzymes. I'm tolerating them fine, and seem to even have less gas and bloating. May be too soon to tell on that, though.

I think that the mineral water (San Pelligrino) I had last Saturday is what made me sick. It's the only thing it could have been.

I'm writing a book here--now who's monopolizing the thread? :D

Viola 1 Rookie

Hi everyone;

It's been a busy time here. Gone three weeks, it's spring time and we have six acres to clean up from Winter mess. Also need to publish a Kennel Club newsletter on Thurs. so gotta get that finished, then was up at the golf course to arrange a buffet for the Open Scramble Golf Tournament I'm organizing as a fund raiser. Don't have much computer time ... at least not for side trips to this site :(

I guess I did well while we were away, I'm down two pounds, so now a total of six. Probably the stress of everything happening. Since we got home they put Mom into Extended care and removed her IV. I'm hoping she will drink enough to keep her hydrated, or her kidneys will fail completely. I will be phoning Dad this morning again to check on things. He's going for heart surgery on May 8th. My brother is going down with him. It's all such a worry ... not good for trying to heal ulcers. ;)

Liz and Patti, don't beat yourselves up on gaining weight. The more you worry about it, the more your body wants to eat to compensate for all of those "starving" thoughts you are giving it. I know as soon as I think "I shouldn't eat any sweets" I'm off hunting for sweets to eat. So now when sweets pop into my mind, I get away from the kitchen and go out and do something, like play with Sheba, or go downstairs and paint some more on my Christmas stuff. Still have lots left of those to do. Also, keep lots of popcorn handy. Still ... I cheated and had a brownie last night for desert :ph34r: So ... who am I to tell you how to do it :lol::lol:

Welcome Sissy ... good to have you here. I think there is someone else new too, I read it a couple days ago .... memory problems for sure.

Hi Diana good to see you are still here. Hi Cathy and Dianna! Autumn, good to see you, did you get your pictures? I did send them :P

Hi to anyone one I missed ... hope to have more time to come on soon. I haven't even checked my "new posts" yet. I expect there is probably 30 pages or so ... but no time for now.

Yesterday was;

B- gluten-free cereal in skim milk

L - a banana, a slice of low fat cheese, an orange, and some popcorn.

D- a slice of low fat cheese, a small amount of left over potatoes, carrots and a salad

S. a brownie :ph34r: shhhhhhhhh :lol:

Guest AutumnE

Liz- That sounds like fun, unfortunately it didnt work out for us to go but that's ok. honestly since I'm trying to diet anyways its probably better this way, next year I will find a way though. How much sodium are you getting in your diet? I have to watch my sodium intake very closely I can put on six or seven pounds overnight just by too much sodium and not enough water to compensate for it. Do you think you might have an intolerance to something? Dairy causes me severe bloating. Congrats on the weight loss over the last year :D You can do this, I know you have the drive. Summer always helps me to have dress in smaller clothes. Everybody has slip ups, Dont guilt yourself though its not worth it, it might cause you to overeat if you do. Definitely post your food intake if it helps you. Dont worry about monopolizing the thread, someone needs to post here to keep the thread going ;)

Diana- Apology accepted here too :) I dont eat potatoes either. As a matter of fact I try and avoid all nightshades since I dont eat dairy. My daughter rarely eats them also, she is more of a veggie eater. I would be intersted in reading more aboout it but I'm very particular on what I give my daughter and I had read a few places its not recommended to give to children. Also, does it affect blood flow or pressure? Negative or positive benefits on blood pressure are not good for my eyes because if the pressure goes too low I can have vision loss also.

Kristine- I had some denial in the beginning a few times, fortunately my symptoms are a holds nothing back kind of thing and I'm unable to function for awhile except be near the bathroom. Welcome and I hope we can support you with weight loss and keeping on the gluten free diet :)

Cathy- Happy birthday to your son :) I hope life is easier for you, I know I get bogged down with company. I bounce in my weight too. I use to weigh only once a month because it was too much juggling back and forth on the scale. Congratulations on the weight loss.

Patti- Im sorry your not feeling well, we went through that with spring water not long ago. Man it made my daughter sick for over a week.I vowed to never buy kroger spring water again.

Shirley- Welcome back :) Im sorry your parents arent doing well. My dad is having heart problems also, one of the reasons I havent been on here much lately. They found a little blockage in one of the bottom arteries. He already has a stent in the top part and now they want to do a heart catheter to check out the bottom and possibly another stent. It makes me so nervous and Im scared Im going to lose him. Out of his 12 brothers and sisters six of them have passed on early in life due to aneurysm's and heart attacks and Im very scared something is going to happen to him. Im trying to help him diet wise (which isnt that bad at all, he is maybe at most 20 lbs overweight) to get rid of inflammatory foods but he is stubborn. I wonder if it is related to him having celiac disease untreated. We know my mom has it and she follows a gluten free diet but my dad will not get tested and doesnt want to know :angry: I know its a huge change but this could take his life early on. Sorry, enough of my rant ;) Its obviously heavy on my mind right now. I havent checked my email but hope to later on today. I cant wait to see them. My thoughts and prayers will be with your dad during his surgery

Sissy- Welcome :) I know the struggle well, you feel so deprived because you cant eat so many things then when you find tasty gluten free alternatives its easy to put on weight. I try to minimize my treats and focus on foods that are naturally gluten free and have gluten free treats once in a while. Lara bars are good for snacks. They have no sugar and are just fruit and nuts with seasonings. My favorites are cinnamon roll, cherry pie, and apple pie.

Well yet another busy week and weekend. My dad as you may have read on shirley's part is having heart problems. Angina at least three times a week. He needs a heart catheter and possibly a stent. He already has one on the top of his heart that he had done in 2003 when I was five months pregnant with Ashley. Ashley is not sleeping well. I think its her schedule being messed up with Mike being at home this week. He goes back to work tomorrow so hopefully things will go back to normal. We have been enjoying beautiful outside weather lately and we went to the zoo yesterday. She loved the penguins and watching them swim in the water so for her toy from the gift shop we bought her a stuffed penguin and she slept with it last night and doesnt want it out of her sight. She was trying to feed it breakfast this morning :lol:

My diet has been soooo boring! Ugh who would have thought meat and dairy would make that much of a difference. Im buying a book on it though to hopefully give me more variety ideas for food since basically its just veggies, fruit, beans and rice <_< but the bonus is no stomach upset anymore! I'm weighing tomorrow and I think I shall see a little loss since I have been a very healthy eater. Plus we walked the whole zoo yesterday and I was pushing a fifty pound plus stroller in it with my daughter and all our stuff and didnt get tired of hurt my knees once :lol: I was a little stiff this morning but its just like a really good workout.

Breakfast today so far was lima beans, rice, and a banana woohoo <_<

Im determined to make foods more exciting!

Have a good day all, we are having my nephew over today and I need to get started on my day. Lunch needs to be made and I need to pick up and do a little laundry. Today its 70 out and I would much rather be outside so hopefully I can spend a little time outside later on today.

lonewolf Collaborator

Hi everyone!

Patti - glad you made and like the brownies. Just don't make them too often! I hope you can get your weight off too.

Autumn - I usually am somewhat careful with my sodium, since I have a kidney disease (that's in remission). I don't restrict it drastically, but I don't overly salt anything or eat very salty things. I do tend to retain fluid a bit. As for other intolerances, I'm sensitive to dairy, eggs and soy. I've been experimenting with dairy lately - trying out some yogurt. My skin has broken out terribly (psoriasis), so I know that it was a bad idea. People that "only" have to avoid gluten don't know how lucky they are!

Well, I definitely need the accountability here. My kids wanted a treat yesterday and I made cream puffs. They turned out great! Gluten free cream puffs with dairy free pudding. I did use real butter in the puffs, but I didn't eat too many :ph34r: . There are two left on the counter, with a bowl of pudding left in the fridge, but I WILL NOT SUCCUMB TO TEMPTATION!

I had a great workout last night and again this morning. I have been good about that at least. I'm getting in to our community center at least 4 days a week.

Edited to include the whole day:

B - 1 slice deli turkey, apple

L - Turkey bologna sandwich with lettuce, handful of raisins

S - a few bites of cookie dough (had to make sure the cookies would taste good for my sons' game snacks!), one cookie and one bite of another (used my willpower to stop)

D - large hotdog, gluten-free tapioca bun, a handful of spud puppies with ketchup, carrot sticks

A little slip-up there with the cookies, but overall, not too bad.

I'll edit with the rest of my food later.

jerseyangel Proficient

Liz--

Cream puffs and dairy free pudding--I don't know if I could resist that! :D

I've done well this weekend--worked outside yesterday, took a long walk and did a Pilates leg workout last night. (And a full workout on Saturday)

I haven't gotten on the scale, though--I don't want to be dissapointed. :unsure:

Today so far--

B--Toast with jam, bacon

L--Salad w/leftover grilled chicken (yum)

S--Fresh pineapple chunks, one grab of chocolate chips (!)

D--will be cube steak, roasted potatoes and a veggie to be named later :lol:

Hope everyone is doing well. :)

Viola 1 Rookie

Hi All!

I'm waiting for an advertizing promotion for the golf course to download to my computer. Dial-up takes forever and it's 3.7mb. At least it has given me a couple of minutes extra to pop in here.

It was absolutely gorgeous today! I went out and did some pruning, and then pulled some hair out of Sheba :lol: she's shedding like crazy. Good thing we haven't got company that don't like dogs ... yes we do get one couple that stays here for a fews days most years. They are due to come in May, so hopefully Sheba will be finished shedding out by then.... if not, too darn bad, it's her home too :P Robert can jerk about the hair all he likes :lol::rolleyes:

I'm still trying to get the newsletter finished, and a page written up for the golf course for our local paper. We have our 40th anniversary of volunteers running this golf course. I've rewritten the page twice now. Of course limited to the amount of words. :huh:

Hope everyone had a super weekend and this wonderful sunshine!

Today ...

B- gluten-free cereal in skim milk

L - one slice low fat cheese, a banana and an orange

S- brownie :ph34r:

D- pork chop, scalped potatoes and mixed veggies

S- I plan on popcorn and glass of red wine. :P

Kaycee Collaborator

Well, we are all back at work, the holidays have finished.

So two days back and we have a public holiday tomorrow, you can feel sorry for me if you like. Jim asked me if I would like to get up early for the dawn parade. I should, but I don't think I will do it this year.

I have been plodding on with my diet. It is going well, it is now 1 1/2 kilos down from a couple of weeks back. So in English, that would be about 4lbs. Great going. I am just not as hungry, even though I have been in holiday mode and easter eggs have been around and I did eat some. And of course I have to try and analyse things. The only difference I can think of is that I have cut down drastically on my coffee consumption. That doesn't make sense does it?

Good to see everyone back, and yes we have to stick to it and just do it. Welcome Sissy and like Sissy says "1 day down and the rest of my life to go" Yes it does sound overwhelming, so should we take it one day at a time like an alcoholic? Sissy I always did wonder if Jenny Craig could cope with a gluten free diet. Obviously not.

Viola, I so love pork chops now, or a good roast pork. It is my favourite meat at this point in time.

My mother gave us a waffle maker as a parting gift, and it is wonderful. My first attempt was rather miserable, but now I have the hang of it and of course worked out the calorie value of each waffle.

Today:

Breakfast: fruit salad with custard

Snacks: fresh fruit, banana, fejoia, gold kiwis. (I'm lucky fruit doesn't disagree, but I fear I eat too much fruit!)

Lunch: Leftover potato, kumara and peas. Rice crackers. Then some more rice crackers later on.

Tea: Bean salad, oven chips. Fruit salad and custard. Will probably have a piece of dark chocolate later.

lonewolf Collaborator

Cathy, congrats on the 1-1/2 kilos! Way to go! Don't make too many waffles with your new waffle iron though. What a fun gift.

Shirley - glad you got some sunshine. We had it for a few days and then got soaked again here. You sure sound like you keep yourself busy!

True confessions, just to keep me honest:

B - 2 pieces of French toast, a bit of jam

S - another small piece of French toast - no jam

L - turkey and goat cheese sandwich on rice tortilla with lettuce and mustard, carrot sticks

S - a small handful of chocolate chips :ph34r:, a handful of crackers with garlic sauce

D - chicken fajitas at a Mexican restaurant (my basketball team party) shared with my hubby and two cookies and rice dream (I couldn't tell my friend I was on a diet when she went all the way to the health food store and bought me a special dessert and set it out to surprise me.)

I think I'll be going on a walk as soon as I get my boys to bed. At least I did work out this morning!

Kaycee Collaborator

Can't make too many waffles, as ere is serious competition for them. Lucky if I get one.

Today was a lovely autumn day and quite hot. Good day to walk the dog.

Breakfast: Fresh fried fish.

Lunch: Homemade soup with meat, 3 rice crackers, banana, fejoias and apple.

Snacks: fruit of course

Tea: Bean salad and soup and lefover mince from last night. Did have lashings of chocolate. But still kept within my calorie quota.

I am a bit worried about my chocolate consumption. I find it very hard to resist. If I have it around it nags at me until it is all gone. I have cured my biscuit and cake addictions by not having any around that I can eat. But the chocolate and crisps addictions are the last ones to cure myself of. I will just have to not buy them, but the boys love the chocolates I love. I will just not be allowed to pinch their chocolate!

Cathy

Kaycee Collaborator

Can't make too many waffles, as ere is serious competition for them. Lucky if I get one.

Today was a lovely autumn day and quite hot. Good day to walk the dog.

Breakfast: Fresh fried fish.

Lunch: Homemade soup with meat, 3 rice crackers, banana, fejoias and apple.

Snacks: fruit of course

Tea: Bean salad and soup and lefover mince from last night. Did have lashings of chocolate. But still kept within my calorie quota.

I am a bit worried about my chocolate consumption. I find it very hard to resist. If I have it around it nags at me until it is all gone. I have cured my biscuit and cake addictions by not having any around that I can eat. But the chocolate and crisps addictions are the last ones to cure myself of. I will just have to not buy them, but the boys love the chocolates I love. I will just not be allowed to pinch their chocolate!

Cathy

AzSharouk Newbie

Hello all, I just started eating gluten-free and am hoping to lose weight. I was putting weight on like crazy before going gluten-free, even with watching portions/calories. I lost 14 lbs in March due to allergic reaction to antibiotics and had lost 11 lbs or more less this April after going gluten-free. My weight bounces up and down a lot, and I have a lot of bloating though it is getting a bit better. I am 4 lbs heavier this week than last :angry: despite all my efforts.

I am currently gluten, dairy, soy and egg free.

Breakfast: Banana and grapes

Snack: Peppermint hard candy and a hershey kiss (umm do i really have to give up chocolate to be dairy free???? )

Lunch: Amys Black bean chili (1 cup), corn, chips (snack bag), and unsweetened applesauce

Dinner: Bunless sloppy joes, french fries, green beans, apple juice

Total Calories: 1240 approx.

--- Sort of an odd day for me, first time having chili and sloppy joes, or any beef for that matter, is a rare event in our household. I am working on upping my protein and fat levels as they both were very low before going gluten-free. This is also my rebellion day - where I ran away from doing major cooking.

Exercise: 5 10 minute walks (breaks at work, to/from gym), arm weights, 10 minutes bike, 15 minutes treadmill (would have been longer but my ill-fitting shoes gave me a tremendous blister which popped and sent me home in pain)

I have had 3 "hungry" days in the past two weeks. I felt like I overate on those days but havent gotten over 1450 since going gluten-free/df (average is 1185 calories). I am not eating any special "gluten free" products except i am experimenting with my baking my own gluten-free crackers. Going gluten-free/df has really helped me control snacking and what i call craving binging. I havent had a specific craving yet! Now if only i could stop to bloating.........<_<

Willow5 Rookie

Never thought that weight gain would be an issue for me but since I have gone gluten-free I have gained about 10 lbs and 2 sizes. I am vegetarian so I think that I end up eating too many grains trying to get my protein and satisfy my appatite. So does gaining weight happen frequently after going gluten-free?

Guest AutumnE

Hello Everyone :D Sorry I havent been on, I have been a bit depressed lately and havent felt like getting online. Many things unfortunately. I hope you all are doing well.

Liz- Im sorry to hear you have kidney disease, my cousin is in the first stages of it.

patti- Hello :)

cathy- I love waffles especially with maple syrup Yum! I have been munching on van's blueberry waffles lately with my daughter. I know horrid amount of calories.

Shirley- We have been doing yard work too lately and tomorrow I have to spray for crabgrass.

Sharouk- Hello! You eat quite a bit of carbs it seems, I have to do lower carb for weight loss or else it doesnt seem to budge. Have you tried more protein in your diet. Im sorry your struggling.

Willow- Hello! I cant speak for the others but going gluten free helped me lose weight not the other way around. I have recently been kinda forced on a vegetarian diet due to gallbladder removal. I do limit my rice and add more beans and veggies, it is tricky to balance it just right though.

Well lately I have a difficult time, lots of things happening, I havent had the motivation to get online. I hope I will be back more frequently soon.

I hope everyone has a good weekend

Autumn :)

Kaycee Collaborator

Hello Autumn. sorry you are feeling a bit down. Hope it doesn't last and that you are up and away again very soon. I had a bit of a down day yesterday. I came home from work, made them an egg and bacon pie and retreated to my room to catch up on videos, dvd's and eating. Needless to say I got quite a sick tummy later on. I just can't eat as much as I used to! That is good, but it plays merry hell on my stomach. So today, I have stuck with fruit and gentle things.

Welcome Willow, I think going gluten free affects people in different ways. I have been gluten free for 18 months and I never put on weight through it, but never lost it either. I tried so hard not to put any on. I have to now make a very concious effort about what I eat, as I do notice it is very very easy to put on the weight if I don't. In some ways it is easier to diet as far as food goes, as I am not as hungry, but in other ways what I eat sticks so I sometimes feel I have to eat less than I should, but I don't want to have to go below 1500 calories even if what I am doing does not seem to work. It is a bit of a vicious circle, but as long as I don't put on any weight I am happy, but would be ever so much happier if it would go.

I can see for me eating for health is more of a priority than loosing it. I am hoping it will slowly go.

Cathy

Archived