This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Can Some Tell Me Of A Safe Bacon With No Msg Or Gluten?

bakinghomesteader

bakinghomesteader Contributor

Thank you

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Mango04 Enthusiast

Applegate Farms and Wellshire Farms

AndreaB Contributor

That's what I was going to say. :D

Shelton's too although their turkey bacon isn't as good as the other two.

StrongerToday Enthusiast

I get my bacon from Market Day, which is kind of like a Shawns. You can order on-line (with nifty gluten free symbols right on the items!) and pick it up at a local school or church - and it's a fundraisor too!

BRUMI1968 Collaborator

Beelers. They even treat their piggies nicely, which is a must for me. The pepper bacon is the best.

wowzer Community Regular

Hormel has a bacon with no preservatives.

SunnyDyRain Enthusiast

Gluten usally a problem with bacon is it? I hope not i've not been checking. I haven't been checking for MSG either....

Is it common to find MSG and Gluten in Bacon?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular
Gluten usally a problem with bacon is it? I hope not i've not been checking. I haven't been checking for MSG either....

Is it common to find MSG and Gluten in Bacon?

Most bacon does not contain gluten (I think the McDonalds one does??). But you still need to check *anything* that you consume.

SunnyDyRain Enthusiast
Most bacon does not contain gluten (I think the McDonalds one does??). But you still need to check *anything* that you consume.

Only McDonalds would add gluten to bacon!

I know I should, but I pretty much concider all unprocessed meats ok... I guess bacon isn't really unprocessed.. but it's not like lunch meat... but then it's not like steak either.

I've been bad... But to my defense I saw Glutamic Acid in my Shampoo and got out the shower to google it to make sure I could use it! I'm still confuzzled why they put that in Shampoo...

Only McDonalds would add gluten to bacon!

I know I should, but I pretty much concider all unprocessed meats ok... I guess bacon isn't really unprocessed.. but it's not like lunch meat... but then it's not like steak either.

I've been bad... But to my defense I saw Glutamic Acid in my Shampoo and got out the shower to google it to make sure I could use it! I'm still confuzzled why they put that in Shampoo...

lunch meat sliced at the deli counter, however, is *very* prone to contamination. there are some lunch meats that are NOT gluten free. and, actually, you can buy hamburger meat at the store that has breadcrumbs already in it for making hamburgers. (saw it on a business trip once.) heck, even self-basting turkeys aren't a safe option.

lpellegr Collaborator

Boar's Head bacon says gluten-free right on the label.

BRUMI1968 Collaborator

I think that "smoke" flavor is often made with gluten. That is part of the problem.

Boars Head? Yum. I like their horseradish.

We have a local pork company, Hempler's, which is great, to buy locally. They make a gluten-free uncured bacon - but most stores don't carry it and it's more expensive than Beelers.

Uncured Bacon is better than cured bacon, as well. Aim for that. It's slightly different, but once you get used to it, it's way better for you.

SunnyDyRain Enthusiast
I think that "smoke" flavor is often made with gluten. That is part of the problem.

Boars Head? Yum. I like their horseradish.

We have a local pork company, Hempler's, which is great, to buy locally. They make a gluten-free uncured bacon - but most stores don't carry it and it's more expensive than Beelers.

Uncured Bacon is better than cured bacon, as well. Aim for that. It's slightly different, but once you get used to it, it's way better for you.

I love boarshead, the deli counter I go to has a gluten free slicer just for gluten-free requests and it's wiped down good before each use. It's rare I get that though, kinda expensive. As far as lunch meat goes, i would never trust anything but boars head. I dont' trust hot dogs, I don't even buy pre made patties, always just plain ground beef.

I really hoe places make meat not safe!

I love boarshead, the deli counter I go to has a gluten free slicer just for gluten-free requests and it's wiped down good before each use. It's rare I get that though, kinda expensive. As far as lunch meat goes, i would never trust anything but boars head. I dont' trust hot dogs, I don't even buy pre made patties, always just plain ground beef.

I really hoe places make meat not safe!

it wasn't premade patties that had breadcrumbs added - it was just a package of ground beef I saw in the meat counter. I checked it, saw it had ingredients, which included wheat. (and promptly recoiled in horror!) totally easy to accidentally pick that up because you *don't* expect an ingredient list on a 1.x pound package of "ground beef".

luceydiana Explorer

I get Trader Joe's bacon and it is delicious. My husband who is an Oscar Meyers bacon guy says it is really good too.

bakinghomesteader Contributor

Thank you all. I found an uncured all natural bacon and it was wonderful. So good. Hit the spot

Bakinghomesteader

lovegrov Collaborator

Bacon is almost without exception gluten-free. The McDonald's "bacon" isn't real bacon as far as I'm concerned -- wheat starch in it. There's one other bacon -- Farmer John's maybe? -- I've heard of that has soy sauce in it, but it's not a national brand.

I don't know about MSG since that's not a problem for me.

I can respect anybody who makes a personal decision to avoid pre-made hamburger patties etc, but for anybody else who's wondering, according to USDA laws written long before the allergen law, if that meat has any grain in it -- and that includes rye or barley -- it MUST be listed.

richard

I can respect anybody who makes a personal decision to avoid pre-made hamburger patties etc, but for anybody else who's wondering, according to USDA laws written long before the allergen law, if that meat has any grain in it -- and that includes rye or barley -- it MUST be listed.

richard

for clarification, since I brought up this point - the wheat *was* labeled on the package. but if you make assumptions that "raw meat is safe", and don't read the package, you'd have missed it, because it visually looks like any other package of raw, bulk, hamburger meat (not prepackaged, but done at the butcher). all the information is there to keep yourself from getting sick, it's just up to us to use it, and not make assumptions.

Archived