This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

The Neighbors Teen Kids!

blueeyedmanda

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

So we live in a very nice rental community, they call them luxury apartments. We moved in 2 years ago after our old rental place refused to ever fix anything. We came upon this place and moved into a very nice community. It is quiet, and it is mostly couples or professionals, some retired couples. There are not many families here and the ones that are have young children, mostly under the age of 7.

We have had great neighbors. Each block houses 8 apartments, 4 1-bed and 4 2bed. All are outside entry (meaning you come in your front door from the outside. We have a common courtyard with a mail box in the middle. The neighbor is so nice, she has 2 dogs and works nights. We see each other on our off days or when she has the dogs in the backyard.

The neighbors on the bottom she shares her wall with have two teen boys who have a long history with the law. When I moved in they had the punk/goth look...with mohawks and tattered odd clothing (I am not judging) The boys were always polite. Well, in Nov of last year they went away to jail/juvinile not sure of their actual ages since they dont ever go to school. Well in May/June the one boy came back, hishair is short now and he is cleaned up so I am not sure which boy it is. Since he has returned we have had nothing but problems.

He runs with a crowd of other young kids who are in our common backyard partying with booze all ngiht long, they sit on our cars, throw trash around, and loiter and ask others for drugs/cigs...you name it. It has gotten to the point where I am not comofrtable going to my vehicle ater dark. These kids crawl out of the wood work.

So we have all called the rental office and complained...hasn't done much that we know about. So I just found out the mom works overnight as well....which is one reason maybe she is not aware of what is going on here. So last night they were once again partying. This morning my nieghbor comes home from work and comes into the apartment and finds two kids sleeping on her sofa....once peed on the couch and there were cig holes burned into the carpet. She called the cops and the kids were arrested. They broke into the house via the patio door in the back. They were drunk. Now she is afraid to stay here because of the kids friends, lets face it you cant trust kids anymore, they are distructive, its like living in a nightmare.

Just had to vent!!!!! My nieghbor called me just an hour ago and told me this....she is probably going to stay with us a few nights till stuff calms down. She is expecting a baby in October and does not need this stress right now.

Excuse the spelling errors...typed fast.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guhlia Rising Star

Oh no, Amanda, that's horrible!!! Hopefully having the two kids arrested will calm the others down a bit. Perhaps someone needs to petition the rental office. If they are underage, you could just call the cops every time you see them drinking. Eventually they'll stop coming around because they'll get sick of being busted there. They'll find somewhere else to hang out and your rental community will be safe again. Does the rental office know about what happened to your neighbor???

jesscarmel Enthusiast

oh my g-d that is so awful. i agree that you should just call the police every time they are out there drinking, doing drugs or making a lot of noise. what a mess!! i wonder how old they are? if they are underage you could also call childrens services and the family could get help through them. it sounds like the family really needs help...

stef-the-kicking-cuty Enthusiast

Oh my word. I agree. I would call the police every time they do that. Eventually they get sick of this and leave and go somewhere else.

CarlaB Enthusiast

I agree, call the police EVERY time. The neighbor who was broken into needs to press charges.

Plus, find out who the management company is for your property. There will be a district manager who is the boss to the manager of the apts. themselves. I used to manage a 300 unit complex when I first got out of college ... the managers make little money and have bonuses based on rents vs. expenses ... eviction is lengthy ... you're not going to get much from the manager. That's why you need to go over his/her head. You can get the contact info for the manager's boss from the manager if you need to.

If the police keep coming out, then the management will care. If you just put up with it expecting the management to take care of the problem, they won't care.

I'd also read every word of your lease to see what recourse you have there.

Cheri A Contributor

I agree with the others too!

My neighbor slept at a friends last night. She is coming home as we speak, she called. She is pressing charges but today I saw that it was the kids friends who were arrested. The complex hasnt been much help to her. We live in a nice place too so it is kind of sad. Our manager is away at the moment, but she lives in our same row.

I'll keep you guys posted.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

plantime Contributor

Please do keep us posted. Also, be very careful yourself.

Renth Newbie

Oh lord! That is terrible. Is there some type of alarm system that she could have hooked up that would call the police if someone tried to open a door or window? It looks like to me that the apartment complex would have evicted them for all the trouble they've caused. I hope everything works out and no one is harmed. Be carefull and stay safe, Let us know how it works out!

kbtoyssni Contributor

Gosh, I'd be calling the cops every time something happens. I'd also be keeping a record of everything that happens, including trying to remember dates of past incidents. It sounds like it might come in handy soon :) I'd be inclined to call the cops to ask them to walk you to your car at night if you don't feel safe - no one should feel that unsafe in a community like yours.

Guhlia Rising Star

How did the weekend go? Did it get any better since those two kids got arrested?

Well, here's the latest scoop. Girlfriend below talked to the cops who told her the whole group of kids who hang in that apartment have a long rap sheet which includes burgulary and drugs and other offenses. Nice right! He also said the cops are going to take it up with the rental office since they have continued to let the mother reside here and in turn put the whole rental community at risk. So to the cops it is a very serious matter. Which I am glad for. I guess both local and state will be patroling the community. Girlfriend (i dont want to use her real name) is also speaking to the rental office today as well. I will find out how that went later on.

jerseyangel Proficient

Amanda,

I'm glad the police are taking this seriously. Please be careful, and I hope the best for your friend :)

Guhlia Rising Star

I agree with Patti, be careful! Hopefully this will all be taken care of in a matter of days or weeks and you won't have to deal with it anymore. Its such a shame when one family ruins a neighborhood like that.

SunnyDyRain Enthusiast

Don't have much to add other than be careful and keep calling the police!

Archived