29 replies to this topic

#1 mwical

mwical

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 02:25 PM

I am 2 Wks. gluten free, but I am wondering which products are the best to buy. I am a big Pasta eater, so which is closest to regular pasta, corn or rice?
Your input would help me greatly. :)
Thanks,
Mark

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 03:33 PM

Some brands of rice pasta are good (I like Tinkyada), but I wasn't fond of the corn pasta I tried. Quinoa pasta is good too (it's a quinoa/corn blend).

Unfortunately, different people have their own preferences, and some people may prefer brand A, others prefer brand B. Not much choice but to experiment a bit. :-)
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#3 angel_jd1

angel_jd1

Gluten Free Goddess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,053 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 03:41 PM

I like corn pasta over the rice pasta. Mrs. Leepers's is good. Also

Orgran which is out of Australia, they have a good pasta. It is a mixture of rice AND corn (they call it RisOMais). It is good!!

For the rice pastas Tinkyada is the best. It just isn't good "re-heated".

-Jessica :rolleyes:
Jessica
Gluten Free since 12-31-2002!!
Kansas

#4 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 26 January 2005 - 03:35 AM

I'm very satistfied with Tinkyada (rice) so I haven't even tried any corn pastas.

#5 luvs2eat

luvs2eat

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,111 posts

Posted 26 January 2005 - 06:54 AM

I'm partial to brown rice pasta... I find it tastes the closest to regular pasta. None of them reheat so well, but at the first meal, no one in my house can tell the difference betw. brown rice pasta and the old wheat pasta.
luvs2eat
Living in the beautiful Ozark mountains in Arkansas
positive blood tests and later, positive biopsy
diagnosed 8/5/02, gluten-free (after lots of mistakes!) since that day
Dairy free since July 2010 and NOT happy about it!!

#6 Guest_barbara3675_*

Guest_barbara3675_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 January 2005 - 09:07 AM

I like corn pasta and elbow macaroni. I think the secret is the sauce or what you put it in. I make my own spaghetti sauce using burger meat (in my case buffalo), contadina tomato products, onion, green pepper, spices and cook it slowly for a long time. I used corn elbows in goulash recently and it was very good...there too, using good quality products for the rest of the dish. I think the corn holds up much better than the rice especially when it comes to reheating leftovers. You have to be so careful when cooking rice pasta, you can get it too done and then it is gummy. I don't buy it at all anymore. I actually buy the generic corn pasta at the health food store and it is really reasonably priced.

Barbara

#7 2new2celiacs

2new2celiacs

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 26 January 2005 - 09:08 AM

I have to agree with Tiffany, I have found "Tinkyada" brand (rice pasta) to be my all time favorite thus far. I have found corn pasta's quite difficult to work with and in my opinion, fall apart easily after boiling.

-Sarah
Sarah
"Small Town" Minnesota, USA
Diag:9/04, positive blood tests
Trying to be strictly gluten-free

#8 Boojca

Boojca

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 26 January 2005 - 10:20 AM

Tinkyada here too. It doesn't fall apart (some of the other brands do) and it tastes very "normal". A lot of people swear by Biaglut, but it's more expensive than the Tinkyada so I haven't even tried it yet for fear I might like it better! :-)

Bridget

#9 flagbabyds

flagbabyds

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 26 January 2005 - 04:03 PM

Tinkyada
Molly

#10 b112678

b112678

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 26 January 2005 - 08:51 PM

Tinkyada and RisOMais are both very good. The key is to not overcook! It tends to fall apart and get mushy.
Brian
gluten-free since 2003

#11 darlindeb25

darlindeb25

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 27 January 2005 - 05:14 AM

:D tinkyada here too--i loved noodles and really miss then--i have tried lots and lots of different varieties and tinkyada is the closest i have found--when i want noodles i get tinkyada linguine and use Better Than Bouillon chicken soup base and its as close as i will ever get to old fashion egg noodles----corn pasta tends to bother--i think i am very limited where corn is concerned--i can eat it as a veggie, but corn flours and pasta's seem to bother me--- ;) deb
Deb
Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!

"The calm river of your life approaches the rocky chute of the rapids - flow on through. You are the same water. The rocks cannot hurt you. Remember, now and then, that you are the water and not the boat. Flow on!

#12 catfish

catfish

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 27 January 2005 - 08:32 AM

I guess I'm a wet blanket when it comes to gluten-free pasta but I honestly don't like any of them. The best thing I've come up with is a recipe for homemade, but it is time-consuming to make it so I rarely do.

Tinkyada gets my vote for prepared gluten-free pasta because it's easy to find and easy to cook, but I have a hard time calling it my "favorite" because I find it just barely more palatable than most of the others.

#13 BamBam

BamBam

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 28 January 2005 - 01:20 PM

In my opinion the rice pasta is better, because it has a very mild flavor compared to the corn pasta. When I make tuna salad with corn pasta, I have to add tons of stuff to overcome the corn flavor, so I am eating tons of mayo - which I would rather taste the tuna and the pasta all together. I buy all brands of rice pasta, so can't really tell you which one is best, I have tries the Tinkayada - however it is spelled - and it is very ggod. Just make sure you do not overcook the rice pasta, cause it will get mushy, I keep a very close eye on mine when I am cooking it. ;)

Bam
Montana
Self-diagnosed after many tests and no results to feel better
Gluten Free since 8-6-2005
Lactose free for many years
Casein Free since 02/14/06

#14 kactuskandee

kactuskandee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 28 January 2005 - 10:49 PM

Tinkyada gets my vote, hands down. I just like saying the name....it's fun! In my house, when my husband says what are you having I say, "Tinkyada", never macaroni or spaghetti. He knows now exactly what I mean..LOL

I learned about it from this board, thank you. I was never happy with the corn products, so gave up on pasta altogether until I found out about Tinkyada.

I've tried both their white and brown rice pastas and prefer the brown.

I DO use lots of water and add lots of salt to the cooking water, and follow the recommended time to the letter. Leftovers, if drained right away keep nicely in the refrigerator for a while.

Kandee

#15 plantime

plantime

My two handsome grandsons

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 29 January 2005 - 07:38 AM

Mrs. Leepers corn pasta and Ancient Harvest quinoa pasta. I am allergic to rice.
Dessa

The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you." Numbers 6:24-25

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: