#1 Katester

Katester

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 09:48 PM

Hey all,

My family took my sister and I out to dinner at P.F. Chang's tonight for her graduation. I got things only off of the gluten-free menu and didn't share utensils with anyone. I ordered everything specifically gluten-free and they totally understood. Now all night I feel as I would if I got glutened. I'm totally confused...

Does anyone have any ideas as to why I feel horrible?

symptoms-october 5th, 2007
negative endoscopy and colonoscopy-december 2007
positive bloodwork-january 2008
diagnosed celiac-january 8, 2008

"At the end of the day, the fact that we're still here is reason enough to celebrate."

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 hez

hez

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 07:45 AM

Anytime we eat out we are taking a risk. It is very possible that somewhere along the line there was some cc. If you are still healing heavy greasy foods could also cause problems. There are those on this forum that have had great experiences there are others that have not been so lucky at PF Changs. Some locations do better than others.

I am sorry you are sick. I hope you feel better soon.
Hez

#3 Tim-n-VA

Tim-n-VA

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 07:57 AM

One thing I've been told is supposed to be a chain-wide standard is a differnt dish for gluten free (a ring around the edge) versus the plain white dish for other items. The condiments on the table I'd always been told were not gluten free but on my last visit the server said the vinegar and pepper sauce (not pepper oil) were gluten-free.

#4 Adelle

Adelle

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 03:17 PM

I'm not all that into P.F. Chang's anymore. The one time we went there, the waiter was AMAZING, but the kitchen staff wasn't. We went out with 2 non-gluten-free'ers. The kitchen sent out our meals and DH's meal wasn't on a gluten-free plate (luckily the waiter caught that and brought it back for a new meal), and they had mixed up DH and I's orders. I ordered something "plain" and he ordered "burn your mouth spicey" I only got 1 bite of my meal :blink: Ouch. Luckily the appetizer lettuce wraps were more than enough food for me and we took the spicey food home for DH to eat. But still.

They totally could have mixed up your order.

#5 Caletara

Caletara

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 03:43 AM

I just went to P.F. Chang's for the first time two days ago, actually. I got two orders, gluten free of course, and I feel fine. I guess it just depends on the staff, and there is always a risk of contamination. My own food nearly got glutened when a friend stuck out his fork and wanted to try mine. While it was nice to have chinese food again, after months, it was surprisingly not as good as I expected it to be. Maybe because gluten makes everything taste better, or because I've been eating healthy/whole type foods only since the diagnosis.
Diagnosed with Carpal Tunnel/Thoracic Outlet Syndrome 01/06
Diagnosed with TMJ/07
Diagnosed with blood test to gluten, wheat and brewer's yeast delayed food allergy 01/08.
Gluten free since 01/08.
Diagnosed with Vitamin D insufficiency 01/08
Diagnosis of Carpal Tunnel/Thoracic Outlet Syndrome repealed and attributed to gluten allergy 1/08
Diagnosed with Candida 03/25/08

#6 C6H0 KKG

C6H0 KKG

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 05:09 PM

Is it possible you ate something you're not accustomed to that you could be allergic/intolerant to that isn't gluten? I know I though I was getting glutened all the time... until I was tested for other food allergies.

#7 jparsick84

jparsick84

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 06:48 AM

I've found that making my own Chinese food at home is actually better than any store. Sunbird makes little spice packages that help make your meal taste like "the real thing" so you might want to look into making your own Chinese food. I've been making fried rice for a year now, and just tried making egg drop soup last month. Last week, I tried lo mein - everything has turned out great. (Plus, you know it's safe, and you can add anything you want). I'm not a great cook, but even I have managed not to screw up these dishes. I know it's not the same, but maybe you could have a "take out" night with friends, except that you make all the food...

#8 gfgypsyqueen

gfgypsyqueen

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 10:29 AM

I love PF Chang's. But things can go wrong in any restaurant. Next time you go to a restaurant ask to speak to a manager before you order. Have them expalin what they do and answer all of your questions to make you feel more comfortable about eating there.

Also, double check the rest of the products you use and eat. At a graduation it is possible that guests in the house did something wrong that got you sick.

Hope you feel better.

#9 elonwy

elonwy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 10:41 AM

I love PF Changs, and eat there somewhat often. I query the wait staff regularly, and always order something with a change. ei: I will order the lettuce wraps with crunchies on the side, the shanghai noodles without tomatoes, something to make sure its MY food. Then I ask them 8 times if its gluten-free, then I sniff it before I eat it (the soy sauce smells different). I never get sick. Also my friends are really good about not touching my food, and generally order gluten-free with me when I go just so we all can share.
Positive Bloodwork 7/8/05
Inconclusive Biopsy 7/20/05
gluten-free since 7/23/05
Never felt better.

"So here's us, on the raggedy edge, come a day when there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all. - Malcolm Reynolds"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: