This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Can We Start A List Of Vitamins/supplements To Speed Healing/alleviate Symptoms?

emcmaster

emcmaster Collaborator

Hello everyone,

I thought we might keep a running list of supplements that you all take on a daily basis to help heal or alleviate glutening symptoms.

- L-Glutamine, for intestinal healing

- Multivitamin by Doctor's Choice for Sensitive Stomachs

- Fennel Seed, for bloating and stomach irritation

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

happygirl Collaborator

L-carnitine Open Original Shared Link

Lisa Mentor
Hello everyone,

I thought we might keep a running list of supplements that you all take on a daily basis to help heal or alleviate glutening symptoms.

- L-Glutamine, for intestinal healing

- Multivitamin by Doctor's Choice for Sensitive Stomachs

- Fennel Seed, for bloating and stomach irritation

Brand names that guarantee gluten free status would be very helpful to many members. Great idea!

emcmaster Collaborator
Brand names that guarantee gluten free status would be very helpful to many members. Great idea!

Oops, good catch. I use NOW brand for the Glutamine and Fennel Seed, and the multi is from Doctor's Choice.

Jenny (AZ via TX) Enthusiast

emcmaster,

Is the multi from Doctor's Choice made by Enzymatic Therapy?

solarglobe Rookie

Hi,

I've been gluten-free for 5 months now, and have been glutened a few times along the way. When that happens I just get knocked flat, no energy, and spend a day or two in the bathroom with the big D (sorry). Here's what helps me:

-- Probiotic -- super strength, 2 hours after eating

-- Straight iced green tea eliminates my gassy problems after glutening

My daily supplement routine:

-- Liquid B-12 (had to search to find a gluten-free liquid form)

-- Liquid Calcium/Magnesium

-- Liquid Iron

-- Flaxseed Oil

-- Aloe Vera Gel -- pure form, mixed with cold water or juice -- swig it quickly

I go liquid form on everything because it seems to absorb so much better for me.

I have to pretty much hold my nose to take all these things. There can be an evil aftertaste -- especially with the iron (think rusty nails). But the supplements definitely help with energy levels, and overall healing.

AMQmom Explorer

When my girls get gluttened, I give them a dose of George's Aloe Vera juice immediately. It is amazing how quickly they recover. One has emotional responses and the other, physical. The aloe vera juice seems to work for both. I like George's brand because it tastes like water and you do not have to store it in the fridge. I have other medical issues and no longer have a colon - it helps my digestive tract, too. I have no scientific proof - it just seems to work for us.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mef Newbie

After a glutening, I up my vitamin D supplement. It works well for bone/joint pain.

Bobette Newbie

Just an FYI -- Costco sells a great gluten-free multi-vitamin and mineral supplement under their Kirkland brand.

:D

newburyport Newbie

Hi Friends,

I've only just begun figuring this all out - but I'm definitely allergic to wheat, probably celiac (history of fatigue, anemia etc)...have been having crazed bloating & constipation all year. Like my digestion just came to a halt. Just went to naturopath a few weeks ago..

-on anti-inflammatory/hypoallergenic diet for 3 weeks

-2 weeks of Replete (gluten-free) probiotics, followed by Spectra (gluten-free) probiotics

-2-3 OmegaZyme (Garden of Life) digestive enzymes after each meal

-warm water with lemon and honey each morning and before dinner

-1 cup of nettle tea, 1 cup of dandelion tea each day

-application of castor oil pack/heating pad working up to 1 hour a day in ten minute intervals. this has been the MOST helpful thing for me for the bloating and to just get my system feeling like it is moving/less toxic. i haven't heard a peep out of my stomach in a year and now it is begging to gurgle and growl again! thank goodness. (be sure to check with dr. before trying this!)

anyone else using castor oil?

great post, keep feeling healthy!

~newburyport

lisa25 Rookie
Hi,

I've been gluten-free for 5 months now, and have been glutened a few times along the way. When that happens I just get knocked flat, no energy, and spend a day or two in the bathroom with the big D (sorry). Here's what helps me:

-- Probiotic -- super strength, 2 hours after eating

-- Straight iced green tea eliminates my gassy problems after glutening

My daily supplement routine:

-- Liquid B-12 (had to search to find a gluten-free liquid form)

-- Liquid Calcium/Magnesium

-- Liquid Iron

-- Flaxseed Oil

-- Aloe Vera Gel -- pure form, mixed with cold water or juice -- swig it quickly

I go liquid form on everything because it seems to absorb so much better for me.

I have to pretty much hold my nose to take all these things. There can be an evil aftertaste -- especially with the iron (think rusty nails). But the supplements definitely help with energy levels, and overall healing.

What brand of liquid calcium/magnesium do you use?

njbeachbum Explorer

my daily vitamins/supplements include...

in the morning (all vitamins are Nature Made):

Super B Complex

Multi Complete

Antioxidant Formula

Calcium w/ Vitamin D

Vitamin C

in the evening before bed i take FloraQ2 probiotic

when i've been glutened, i make sure i keep taking the probiotic, but i also begin using Acacia Fiber supplement, which i already take a few doses a few times a week, but when i am glutened, i take it morning and night and it really seems to calm down the tummy symptoms, since it has a prebiotic effect.

*Daniella* Apprentice

I just got diagnosed 2 months ago so I'm very ignorant when it comes to vitamin supplements. How did you all know which vitamins to take?

emcmaster Collaborator
emcmaster,

Is the multi from Doctor's Choice made by Enzymatic Therapy?

Yes! That's the one!

solarglobe Rookie
What brand of liquid calcium/magnesium do you use?

I have been using LifeTime -- it's a calcium magnesium citrate (and it has a pleasant taste).

Archived