Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

- - - - -

Celiac Was On The News This Morning!

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 28 March 2005 - 12:04 PM

Also, I had assumed that this forum was to have constructive conversation, debates, opinions, etc. I wasn't aware that gave us the right to "attack" someone like I believed you attacked celiac3270. Again, to me that was just another example of the Catholic church's "It's our way or the highway!" celiac3270, as far as I am concerned, you have EVERY RIGHT to post you opinions without fear of reprisal.

Peace.
Karen

Yes celiac3270 you have the right to post that. Not everybody agrees on these debates and I for one do agree with you celiac3270. I am not a Catholic but if I was I would not take communion either because I will not take gluten in any amount. Kvogt-celiac3270 was not attacking anyone or trying to be disrespectful in any way...he was voicing his opinion on what he thinks just like you did.
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Canadian Karen

Canadian Karen

That Crazy Canuck!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 28 March 2005 - 12:08 PM

Also, forgot to mention that I am in the unfortunate predicament of not feeling comfortable taking the low gluten or OR the wine. You see, I have lived through SARS first hand, and unfortunately it has left its scars.

My grandmother had a massive heart attack three days before the SARS outbreak. She was taken to Grace Hospital (the location that the outbreak started). We were told that she had 24 to 48 hours to live and that most people in their 70's don't survive that massive of a heart attack (Nanny was 92 at the time). Well, we were with her night and day because we didn't want her to die alone. Miraculously, she survived, and is still going strong today (she is now 93), it must be the Irish in her!!!! ;) We were informed while in the hospital that we must go home immediately and stay under quarantine for 20 days as we were in the next room to the people who brought SARS here when we were down in emergency. I had to stay in a room away from my children and family for 20 days, terrified that I was going to die because of this insidious disease. Miracles do occur, and not one member of my immediate family or other members at the hospital for those days, ever came down with SARS. We counted our blessings.

But to this day, it is ALWAYS in the back of my mind about germs, washing my hands disinfecting things, etc. etc. The thought of drinking out of the same cup as 20 other people at church, even though it is wiped with a "hanky" after each one, just sends shivers down my spine. I'm sorry, but to me a "hanky" is not going to wipe away any diseases of the rim of that cup. And one thing I have learned living through SARS, IT CAN HAPPEN! This pandemic that they keep talking about, CAN HAPPEN. This worldwide epidemic of SARS started in North America RIGHT IN MY BACKYARD, I WAS RIGHT THERE FIRST HAND! So, yeah, I am now overly cautious.......

Now my husband teases me and calls me "Howard Hughes" !!! :lol:

Peace
Karen
Karen

positive bloodwork, positive biopsy
Celiac, collagenous colitis, hypothyroidism
endometriosis (at age 20)
spinal stenosis (early 20's)

Biopsy August 2006 confirmed complete villous atrophy despite being gluten-free for years and bloodwork within range showing compliance with diet. Doctor has confirmed diagnosis of Refractory Celiac Sprue.
Endoscopy also showed numerous stomach ulcers, have started taking Losec.

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs
Rhiannon 8 yrs
Daniel & Connor 6 yr twin boys......

"Joyfulness keeps the heart and face young. A good laugh makes us better friends with ourselves and everybody around us."
Orison Swett Marden

Laughter is the shortest distance between two people.
-- Victor Borge

"An optimist laughs to forget. A pessimist forgets to laugh."
Tom Nansbury

"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac."
Unknown

#18 jknnej

jknnej

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 09:56 AM

To think that Jesus would care if our communion wafer was not wheat goes against everything we are taught about Jesus.
I can see where the priests are coming from, but they are forgetting the basic principles of their faith.

#19 ianm

ianm

Metal God

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 10:17 AM

As a former Catholic I am very dismayed at the approach the church has taken on communion. I inquired with several local Catholic churches about gluten free communion and there response was "No, that is not allowed." My response was "What do you think Jesus would do? Do you think that Jesus would force someone to eat something that would harm them?" When I asked that question they just hung up the phone on me. I simply cannot be a part of an organization that is that intolerant and clueless. It sounds like there are some Catholic churches that get it but not where I live.

Ianm
If all the world is indeed a stage and we are merely players then will someone give me the script because I have no f!@#$%^ clue as to what is going on!

What does not kill you makes you stronger.
Nobody cares about losers and quitters never win. If you fail with the cowards then what's the message you send?
Can't get it right, no matter what I do. Might as well be me and keep fu@$ing up for you. - Brian Thomas (Halloween, the greatest metal band ever!)

Ian Moore. Self diagnosed at 36 because the doctors were clueless.
Started low-carb diet early 2004, felt better but not totally gluten-free. Went 100% gluten-free early 2005 and life has never been better.

#20 Guest_BellyTimber_*

Guest_BellyTimber_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 March 2005 - 03:33 PM

Being more Catholic than any other religion I am content to sit out, I wonder if acceptance of God's gift to us through our guts will help us "commune" with Him in just as good a way as the conventional way. It's the only life God gave me and it's been very strongly shaped by the kind of guts God gave me. It's the only life I'll have. It's awesome.

Michael

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: