This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Help! Local Coffee House Wants To Offer Gluten-free Treat, Advice On What/how?

lyceum

lyceum Newbie

I live in Bloomington Indiana, which must have a rampant and loud gluten-free community because every few months I see some other concession to the gluten-free life-style. The burrito place now has gluten-free burrito shells, a local restaurant just added gluten free cakes and hard cider, etc... So I do my part and periodically email or bother local business owners about offering gluten-free products.

And, against all my expectations... it seems to have worked. A local church-run coffee house, the pour house, wants to offer a gluten-free baked good. They need to find something that they can make affordably (so store-brand ingredients probably) and that will be appealing to all their customers (like flourless chocolate cookies, or... ? I'd say no bakes and rice krispee treats, except for the expense of gluten-free oatmeal and malt-free puffed rice).

I'm really not a baker, so I have no idea what I can suggest here... but they've made it very clear that they're eager to work with us, if we can tell them what they need to do. Do you guys have any ideas?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Sweetfudge Community Regular

A flourless chocolate cookie/cake would be good, or flourless peanut butter cookies. If there's a big market out there for gluten-free products, I bet they could even buy gluten-free flours in bulk from the health food stores. That's what I do, and it's much cheaper than buying the small bags of flours.

I think that's great that they're willing to accommodate those on a gluten-free diet. The only thoughts I have are:

Maybe they ought to try and make it "allergy friendly" whatever they do make, to meet the needs of those w/ dairy, soy, egg allergies, etc., since many of us with gluten intolerances/allergies also cannot tolerate other things.

The other thing to stress to them is that they need to be aware of CC issues.

I'm jealous. I wish more places in Utah were so accommodating!

mindwiped Rookie

Cross contamination is going to make this tricky, but do-able. First, they will need to make the gluten-free treats only when there is NOTHING being made with gluten. Then, everything will have to be washed down to eliminate surface gluten (counters, anything left out where gluten flour can dust it) They will need a specific mixer, spoons, bowls and pans that only gluten-free items are prepared with (I'd suggest something in a color completely different from what they have now, so they know it's the gluten-free spoons, pans...). As for the treat itself, I'd go with a flour-less chocolate cake or a 'monster' cookie, but with the cookie, they will have to get gluten-free oats, and oats are a concern for some. If you google flour less chocolate cake, there are many different recipes, find one that looks good, and make sure to tell the bakery which brand of everything to buy ingredient wise, the chocolate and vanilla must be gluten-free. Since the cake doesn't need any special gluten-free items to make it work, it will be easier for a chef whose not used to cooking gluten-free to prepare, as there's no need for flour blends or xanthum gum.

Franceen Explorer

A co-worker had a Pampered Chef party that I went to - her best friend is Celiac and she knew I was, so she made this flourless chocolate cake for us. It is WONDERFUL! It is very rich and only a small piece is a big satisfier. I don't know where she got the recipe, I don't think it is a Pampered Chef one though. But it is GOOD.

For dusting the pan - use gluten-free Flour! My friend uses sugar, which works really well (powdered, I think).

Chocolate Nemesis

TrillumHunter Enthusiast

I wonder if they wouldn't do better with a product they could freeze and pull out as needed? I make chocolate chip cookie dough, form the cookies then freeze. You can take out two or twenty and bake them. Two can be baked in a toaster oven. They could offer fresh baked cookies easier and fresh is always better. Plus, the smell would be intoxicating even to gluten eaters! Cafes struggle against loss and gluten free stuff doesn't improve with time.

HTH

Mtndog Collaborator

That's great! This was one of the first gluten-free baked treats I ever made-best part is NO SPECIAL INGREDIENTS!!!!!!! They could put a Hershey's Kiss on top for the chocolate lovers!

:

Peanut Butter Cookies #2 (Gluten-Free)

This recipe comes to us from Cathleen Morgan.

N.Justine Newbie

cross contamination -- is the obvious worry -- lots of information avlb at CSA and GIG:

Open Original Shared Link

Open Original Shared Link

as for recipes there are tons! from cookies, to brownies, to cakes, to salads, to all sorts of things. I agree something they could freeze would be best - -that way they only have to 'super clean' once in awhile and not everyday. That would make brownies and more dense cookies and cakes much better options.

Here is a gluten-free brownie recipe, (with DF and vegan options) more recipes at Open Original Shared Link

makes about one tray

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

csaceliacs Newbie

Following the lead of this place in Evanston Il is a good idea: https://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/index.ph...af5d7d67f142422

I live in Bloomington Indiana, which must have a rampant and loud gluten-free community because every few months I see some other concession to the gluten-free life-style. The burrito place now has gluten-free burrito shells, a local restaurant just added gluten free cakes and hard cider, etc... So I do my part and periodically email or bother local business owners about offering gluten-free products.

And, against all my expectations... it seems to have worked. A local church-run coffee house, the pour house, wants to offer a gluten-free baked good. They need to find something that they can make affordably (so store-brand ingredients probably) and that will be appealing to all their customers (like flourless chocolate cookies, or... ? I'd say no bakes and rice krispee treats, except for the expense of gluten-free oatmeal and malt-free puffed rice).

I'm really not a baker, so I have no idea what I can suggest here... but they've made it very clear that they're eager to work with us, if we can tell them what they need to do. Do you guys have any ideas?

lyceum Newbie
Following the lead of this place in Evanston Il is a good idea: https://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/index.ph...af5d7d67f142422

Thanks for the link... but it looks like it's broken? I get an error message when I follow it at least. Do you have another link to this info?

Woody Rookie

Hi Lyceum:

The bakery being refered to is Roses's Bakery. The adress is:

2901 central ave.

Evanston Il. 60201

www.rosesesbakery.com

This is a gluten free bakery just west of the Northwestern Campus.

Very good pasteries and pizza.

Woody

• 3 weeks later...
hannahp57 Contributor

flourless peanut butter cookies

1 C peanut butter

1/3 C oil

1 egg

1/2tsp baking soda

1/4tsp salt (to taste)

1/2 cup choc chips (opt)

350 degrees. bake for 8-12 minutes. i usually do 11 but i'm sure it depends on the oven. these cookies are delicious. my family (who is not gluten-free) tries to steal them when i make them. they are easy and very affordable to bake. Could easily be made for a larger batch. hope this helps.

hannahp57 Contributor

My apologies. On the previous recipe it should be:

1 C peanut butter

1/3 C SUGAR

1 egg

1/2tsp baking soda

1/4 salt

1/2 C choc chips (opt)

vanilla can also be added but i typically dont. a small amount is enough

400 degrees 8-12 minutes

sorry about the mix up. i was thinking of two different things at once. they are super good and very very easy:)

ang1e0251 Contributor

Hey, Hoosier! I would recommend that the bakery manager talk to the manager at Uno Pizza in Indianapolis. They added gluten-free pizza to their menu a couple of months ago. GlutenFRee Indy has been buzzing about it. They understand how to run the kitchen to avoid CC. They also talk each customer that orders gluten-free pizza through their system so they feel confident about eating it. I have read several readers and no one has had a reaction. I guess they really have it down. They could explain the in's and out's.

Wenmin Enthusiast

Just wanted to share with you one of the best desserts since going gluten free. Easy to make and they are GREAT!

Lemon Meringue Pies (Ice Box Pie)

Ingredients:

1 can condensed milk

4 eggs (separated)

5 ounces lemon juice

2/3 cup sugar

gluten-free Ginger snap cookies (MIDEL)

Drop 1-2 cookies in the bottom of individual glass heat resistant bowls. (will make about 4)

Combine condensed milk, yolks, and lemon juice in bowl and mix well using a hand held mixer. Pour over cookie in individual dishes.

Whip egg whites with mixer until a soft peak is formed. Add sugar and whip into egg whites. Pour over lemon filling and cover completely.

Place individual bowls on large baking pan and bake at 350 degrees for about 10-15 minutes until top is golden brown.

Allow these to cool and place in refrigerator to store.

Enjoy!

lyceum Newbie

Thank you all so much for your advice and ideas!!

The coffee shop has decided to go with the 'peanut-butter cookies', due to the simplicity of the ingredients/prep and because they're a naturally gluten-free snack. (I think I'll have to try out some of the other recipes myself though ;-) ).

They made their first batch for sale a couple weeks ago, and it came out fantastic... it's one of their employees favorites now, and I've overheard some very appreciative customers too :-). I've been back a few times to check on them (and independently check that the employees all know about the CC rules), and they seem to be doing great.

It's *so nice* to be able to walk over from campus for a simple cookie and tea break whenever I want. Thank you all for your help. :-)

Archived