This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Help! Jerseyangel/momma Goose/ravenwoodglass/sensitives-very Sick!

oceangirl

oceangirl Collaborator

Hi,

Sorry for the shameless plea for experienced sensitive help but I have been repeatedly glutened (I know my symptoms- if it isn't gluten, it's a brilliant impersonator)- last night I considered the emergency room for the first time in years! Trouble is, I really haven't had anything new to eat so I wondered if perhaps any of you could tell me if you ever had trouble with any of the following which shall be my preeminent suspects for now (referring to my food log):

Stew meat? Boneless chicken tenders? Enrico's tomato pasta sauce? Planter's South Beach Diet Mix Nuts? (eaten these for years- no problems)

It seems to have happened after the first night with the chicken tenders (which I put Enrico's on), then last night was the pits and I had the stew meat (which also had some Enrico's in it) I have eaten Enrico's for over a year with no problems. The only other "newish" thing I have started to eat is a little fresh spinach but I see no reason that should give me gluten symptoms.

I feel very hopeless right now; sometimes this problem really stinks! Thank you for any thoughts.

lisa

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

darlindeb25 Collaborator

Have you called the company for Enrico's to see if they have changed the ingredients? Maybe try a different tomato product and see if you have the same symptoms. I was gluten free 3 years when out of the blue, I could not eat anything tomato, not fresh, not stewed, not sauces, nothing tomato. My nightshade symptoms are the same as being glutened used to be. Tomatoes cause a reaction in me in less than 20 minutes, severe cramping, and diarrhea. For what it's worth, it seems like the Enrico's is the common denominator in this mystery. Stew meat and chicken tenders should not be the problem, as long as they were not previously seasoned, before purchasing. Are you using a new seasoning?

Try not to rely on a product that you have trusted for years...at any time the ingredients can change. Always check the ingreds before purchasing. I think many of us have trusted too easily, and then got burned. I loved Hellman's Canola Mayonnaise, it was so good, then one day it made me ill. I reread the ingredients, and they had made it cholesterol free and added soy. I can't have soy. They took a wonderful product and ruined it for me with just one ingred change.

sylviaann Apprentice

Hi,

Sorry for the shameless plea for experienced sensitive help but I have been repeatedly glutened (I know my symptoms- if it isn't gluten, it's a brilliant impersonator)- last night I considered the emergency room for the first time in years! Trouble is, I really haven't had anything new to eat so I wondered if perhaps any of you could tell me if you ever had trouble with any of the following which shall be my preeminent suspects for now (referring to my food log):

Stew meat? Boneless chicken tenders? Enrico's tomato pasta sauce? Planter's South Beach Diet Mix Nuts? (eaten these for years- no problems)

It seems to have happened after the first night with the chicken tenders (which I put Enrico's on), then last night was the pits and I had the stew meat (which also had some Enrico's in it) I have eaten Enrico's for over a year with no problems. The only other "newish" thing I have started to eat is a little fresh spinach but I see no reason that should give me gluten symptoms.

I feel very hopeless right now; sometimes this problem really stinks! Thank you for any thoughts.

lisa

Hi Lisa,

I am SUPER SENSITIVE and after I read your post, I thought about my recent personal discovery which may help you. I have kept a food/Nedication/cosmetic diary for the past several months and was having repeated reactions (my symptoms are myoclonus and GI). Desperate and determined to uncover the reason. I started researching for info and read that Glutamates and asparate (artificial sweeteners) are powerful "Excitotoxins" to the gut and brain. Two weeks ago, I read how many Whole foods contain high levels of "Naturally occuring glutamates" or glutamic acid. Gluten, Dairy, Soy, and corn are the top glutamate offenders but my jaw dropped after I discovered the following foods (and more) are very high in glutamates and cause problems in extremely sensitive people:

Tomato sauce and very ripe tomatoes

Parmesan cheese

Meat (slow cooking for lon periods of time in juice greatly raises the glutamate level)

Potato chips (even Gluten free, plain ones)...frying and roasting potatoes raises the glutamate level

Boar's Head Deli meats and their hot dogs-contains processed MSG

Mushrooms

Planters nuts and many processed nuts contain MSG (possibly in the sea salt)

Many broth products contain "hidden MSg"-i.e. Yeast extract is actually MSG

Seaweed (Careegenan) is also a naturally occuring MSg ingredient

Products containing artificial sweeteners-gum, mints, candy, toothpaste. I had a severe reaction a few weeks ago from using an aquafresh white tray. I was up the entire night from having body jerks. I later found out that the gel contains sucralose (artificial sweetener).

Manufacturers are "disguising" their labeling on products that contain Processed MSG so you will need to be careful.

I hope you feel better soon and this information helps you!

Warmest regards,

Sylvia Ann

Florida

]

oceangirl Collaborator

Deb and Sylvia Ann,

Thank you both. Deb, I'll take out tomatoes for a bit to see if that's it- I did go nightshade free for two years and then successfully added a few back. (not white potatoes though!). I will check with Enrico's as well.

Sylvia Ann, thank you for that insight as well. I eat almost NO processed food and have a detailed food log for going on five years (sheesh!) and the Planter's nuts I use I am pretty sure have no MSG and I agree I react badly to MSG- always have even before gluten free. The other info about glutamates was interesting and I will keep it in mind. I use no seasoning but salt (just now I've used Morton's- for years I only used Real Salt) and fresh herbs I've dried myself. My food is pretty "naked".

Thank you for the help! I'll keep looking!

lisa

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I would drop the Enrico's and perhaps add it back in at some point and see if you react as well as calling the company. The recipe may have changed or they may have CC issues from other products in the same plant etc.

Also check the tenders label. Is it just chicken or does it state broth added, were they frozen or fresh?

Have you recently changed anything in your home or personal routine? A new makeup or shampoo etc? Taken up a new craft or started remodeling?

It can at times be really hard to figure out what got us. Since you keep a food log do look at the couple of days before you had the reaction also. For some of us the reaction can be delayed and it isn't always what we ate right before we got sick it can at times be from a day or two before.

I hope you get over the reaction soon.

oceangirl Collaborator

Thank you, Ravenwoodglass,

I'm very careful about products but I'm racking my brains to see if there's something new. Of course, being back at school in a high school is "new" since summer, but, I've worked there for 8 years and I don't THINK it's anything there. Yes, I always go back quite a ways because I know it can be something from a while ago. I will take out Enrico's until I can talk to them and for the time being.

Thank you very much,

lisa

Lisa Mentor

Lisa,

So sorry that you have had a tough time. You have had great suggestions from others. Have you re-called on your lipsticks. If I remember correctly, you use Lancome. Cosmetics can change in a blink of an eye. But, then I am sure you know this.

I'll keep thinking....

(I see you have answered. I'm a slow poster)

How about new products at school. Perhaps, some that can be inhaled.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

sylviaann Apprentice
Deb and Sylvia Ann,

Thank you both. Deb, I'll take out tomatoes for a bit to see if that's it- I did go nightshade free for two years and then successfully added a few back. (not white potatoes though!). I will check with Enrico's as well.

Sylvia Ann, thank you for that insight as well. I eat almost NO processed food and have a detailed food log for going on five years (sheesh!) and the Planter's nuts I use I am pretty sure have no MSG and I agree I react badly to MSG- always have even before gluten free. The other info about glutamates was interesting and I will keep it in mind. I use no seasoning but salt (just now I've used Morton's- for years I only used Real Salt) and fresh herbs I've dried myself. My food is pretty "naked".

Thank you for the help! I'll keep looking!

lisa

Hi Lisa,

You are very welcome :)....I have been suffering from myoclonus for almost three years and I keep learning something new every day (additional intolerances). I reacted to eating flounder last night that I cooked and was up for most of the night. I wonder if "Leaky Gut" is causing all of these reactions?? I have finally decided to pursue an extensive Delayed Food Sensitivity and chemical test (called an MRT test). I cannot afford to lose any more weight and am fed up with my limited diet, as well as reacting to so many foods and chemicals. BTW, do you know if the lancome lipstick (what is it called?) you use contain soy or corn? I would love to find a great lipstick!! I am looking at using a safe henna product made in California to color my hair...and it really needs coloring!!

Sylvia Ann :)

jerseyangel Proficient

Hi Lisa, I'm so sorry this is happening to you :(

I have to say that I agree with everyone so far on the sauce. I always used Enrico's when I lived up north and never had a problem, but it's been a while now and maybe something's changed. Even if the ingredients are exactly the same, perhaps they added another product to their line that contains gluten or otherwise made a change in the manufacturing.

Just in case, I would check on the Planter's mix--I was glutened badly last year when Diamond began processing their plain shelled walnuts on the same lines as their flavored ones. They went from being completely safe to cross contaminated just like that. I ate them for weeks without it dawning on me to check into it--after wracking my brain about what was up.

Anywoo--try cutting out those two things completely and see if you don't improve. Let us know :)

MaryJones2 Enthusiast

Ugh...I hate that feeling. I hope you feel better soon Lisa! The only other thing that comes to mind is construction or landscaping projects at school.

ranger Enthusiast

My $0.02,

About a month ago, I had a spinach salad off the gluten-free menu at a restaurant I had eaten at before with no problem.. I got "glutened".. I was very mad at the restaurant. A Couple of days later, I made one at home, and got glutened again, but I knew that wasn't possible. It was the Spinach, and I've eaten it all my life. Haven't eaten it since.

Susan

oceangirl Collaborator

Wow- thank you everyone for your thoughtful responses- this is an amazing site. And thank you, Patti, for everything especially for catching that I spelled "wracking" wrong- I hate misspelling! (Not as much as I hate gluten...sigh)

I will call Planter's and Enrico's and, Ranger, VERY interesting about the spinach...hmmmmm.....I will cut it out for now. And I think Janet mentioned school construction? Weirdly, we are undergoing construction although it's a ways from my room. I have been a bit dubious in the past about some of the products they use to clean with at school and we do have a new cleaning czar who seems fond of products. I know they stick something in the vacuum (yikes, spelling? that doesn't look right.....) to "freshen" the air- chemicals to freshen with, interesting.

I am hoping not to have another night like the last two so I'm having just a little of safe foods today.

Thank you so much for all of your ideas and your kindness,

lisa

MaryJones2 Enthusiast

I gotta tell you drywall and joint compound has been responsible for more glutenings than anything else for me. I get sick every time I'm working on a construction site or in a building with construction because the joint compound dust settles on everything. People track it everywhere. It gets in the hvac system.

oceangirl Collaborator

Janet,

Can you educate me? Does joint compound routinely have gluten in it?

lisa

oceangirl Collaborator

Lisa/MommaGoose,

(There is an interesting new addition to your avatar... Fun!)

lisa

MaryJones2 Enthusiast

I won't say all joint compound has wheat but I've never seen one that didn't have starch listed and wheat is used in a lot of them (corn is also popular). Wheatboard, Ecoboard, USG, Gigacrete and Enviroboard are some brands of drywall/compound that use wheat. Wheat is very popular in the green building movement.

Open Original Shared Link

Archived