23 replies to this topic

#16 quincy

quincy

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 11:39 AM

I've been gluten free a little over two weeks, but I keep having strange stress dreams where I am eating loaves of bread, muffins, etc. I've woken up in the middle of the night terrified before realizing I was dreaming. I am experiencing some anxiety over hidden glutens and cross-contamination during waking hours. Just wondering if this has ever happened to anyone else?

this must be common because I have experienced day time anxiety about accidental glutening then having dreams where i ate something like pizza or bread or cake....

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Looking for answers

Looking for answers

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 03:55 PM

I have these dreams often as well, more so when I'm not feeling well. I just had a dream about eating spaghetti and pretzels the other night. In my dream my husband warned me not to eat them, but I was like "who cares?!" and ate them anyways. Then I started freaking out, wondering what I had done and how sick I would become. It caused me to wake up, and I was so happy it was just a dream. :ph34r:
2010- Gluten, Soy, Corn, Dairy, Eggs, Nut free. Sugar, non-gluten grains lite(Yes, still plenty to eat!)
2010-Doctor diagnosed me as Celiac then took diagnoses back, then said avoid gluten for life
2009 Low T3 thyroid hormone, muscle twitching and adrenal fatigue
2006- Elevated Speckled ANA. GI suggested Celiac. Started gluten-free diet, but sloppily
2005 - Thought I had wheat "allergy." Stopped eating bread, oats problem too
College years - Still vegan -sickest point in life. Every classic celiac symptom
Teenage years - Stomach pain prompted veganism -> BIG mistake!
Child - Awful gas, D, C. Chronic infections, appendix and tonsils removed

#18 revenant

revenant

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 07:30 PM

Yes I have these too! The worst part is that the guilt follows me throughout the day. I always end up going "Oh god, I messed up this morning didn't I? Oh wait no... that was a dream" But I always have to remind myself that it was a dream.

I think these dreams are extremely helpful little reminders of the dread we are trying to avoid with gluten. They have prevented me from cheating a few times, I am ever so grateful for them :) Even though, I no longer cheat, anyways! It really does make me appreciate life without gluten

#19 GFMochi

GFMochi

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 11:00 PM

hahaha the gluten dreams, where you just eat and eat and eat and eat!

I get those every few months or so, where I eat everything I miss.

Though, the weirdest one I had, was when I am swimming inside a clam chowder in a bread bowl. You get use to them, and when you wake up, you binge on gluten free substitutes!

#20 cO_ol

cO_ol

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 06:05 AM

I had a dream a couple nights ago about eating something that looked like chicken teriyaki. I ravenously consumed it, and after I was done, realized the dish probably had gluten in it! Definitely not one of those dreams you're bummed out to find isn't real, that's for sure!
Docs said it was depression, which was in my case code for, "It's all in your head."
I replied (in my head, alas) with expletives that I don't think are allowed on here. xD
Self-dx'd Celiac just beginning my very bumpy gluten-free journey. My healing process is looking a lot like my deterioration was (rather non-linear)...
Praise be unto the (gluten-free, vegan) Flying Spaghetti Monster for the folks who worked so hard to raise awareness (and Internet to access it)! Y'all saved me decades of suffering most likely. :D

#21 jeannieknits

jeannieknits

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 02:57 PM

I have occasionally had the dream that I accidentally ate some old favorite only to realize that I have to spit it out. I think I have even awakened trying to do so as if I were choking. Just this past week I had a horribly real dream where I found myself standing in the middle of our kitchen with flour all around. All over the floor, all over my feet, flying all around, on all the surfaces. I was just standing there crying, frozen in fear of moving and wondering why no one was helping me clean up. We live in a non gluten free home and no effort has been made to even try gluten-free for a short period of time and I feel pretty paranoid in the kitchen even after a year of being pretty lucky with cross contamination. Still feel the pressure though and I am sure this was reflected in that nightmare.

I had the strangest dream that I opened a bag of flour and just scooped a handful of it into my mouth! and then I was like, "WHAT AM I DOING?????" and can you imagine trying to get WET FLOUR out of your mouth? it was horrible....

probably stemmed from me being glutened by a "gluten free" cupcake that same day.
celiac/gluten intolerance diagnosed in July of 2010
hemochromatosis (genetic iron storage disorder) diagnosed at the same time. The two diseases have been linked in studies.

also have atrial fibrillation, and poor weight gain.
diagnosed with fibromyalgia 4/2011.

gluten free since july 2010.
investigating other food sensitivities daily!

#22 domesticactivist

domesticactivist

Kitchen Liberator

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 02:37 PM

I've been having dream after dream including stress about gluten, but this type of thing happens to me whenever I am focused on something or learning something new. I've immersed myself in reading everything and cleaning everything, etc, so it makes sense to be dreaming about it.
Our family is transitioning off the GAPS Intro Diet and into the Full GAPS Diet.
Gluten-Free since November 2010
GAPS Diet since January/February 2011
me - not tested for celiac - currently doing a gluten challenge since 11/26/2011
partner - not tested for celiac
ds - age 11, hospitalized 9/2010, celiac dx by gluten reaction & genetics. No biopsy or blood as we were already gluten-free by the time it was an option.
dd - age 12.5, not celiac, has Tourette's syndome
both kids have now-resolved attention issues.

#23 Strawberry_Jam

Strawberry_Jam

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 12:26 PM

I actually ate a spoonful of flour once, before the blood test, because I was all like, "no WAY am I going to get a false negative on this!!"

It's really, really gross. :/

gluten-free 25 Feb 2011
soy-free 30 March 2011

dairy-free 30 August 2011 (roughly)

25 yrs old
diagnosed Celiac through biopsy and blood test (WAY positive) as of 25 Feb 2011

#24 jackay

jackay

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 02:06 PM

I don't dream about eating gluten foods but dream about cross contamination. I have insomnia most of the time so just lay awake and wonder if I'm not sleeping because of cc. Sure wish I could get over this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: