3 replies to this topic

#1 brendygirl

brendygirl

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 06:30 AM

Just wondering what would happen if we all organized a day and we all went to restaurants requesting gluten free menus/options?
Interesting.
There are so many ways it could be done. Obviously, we would go to the "unfriendlies"- the ones that need to hear our roar! And when you actually get starved for food, you could go eat at the "friendlies", lol.
I could go on and on about my ideas, but I don't want to do a monologue...:)

Gluten Free since November 2005

"If you want breakfast in bed, sleep in the kitchen.." ---Ed Polish

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 stef_the_kicking_cuty

stef_the_kicking_cuty

Stef and Luke

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 06:51 AM

I think, that's a great idea, we should try it.
Stef
Stef

Next goals:
Results for 2011:
1x PA State Champ (I defended my title in pointfighting) and also again Grand Champion in pointfighting
August 20-27: Karate and Kickboxing World Championships in Germany (my homecountry)
gluten-free since 07/21/2004
Shermans Dale, PA

#3 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,312 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 07:15 AM

Actually, individual restaurants of chains may not be able to do much. What if we all email the corporate contact email on the same week? I think getting a gluten-free request or inquiry once every few weeks doesn't register. A bunch at a time might make them notice.

Pick no more than 5 places or you will lose people. Give us the contact address and a brief idea of what to say or even something we can cut and paste. Just like people do to get a point to a senator.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#4 missy'smom

missy'smom

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 07:48 AM

Our local CSA chapter has chosen a few restaurants that they thought could pull together a few gluten-free meal options and gone in and educated them about preparing a meal, then they organized a Dinner Out night at the place and got together a group to eat there. Mostly it has been higher end places with simple steak dinners and fish or chicken option. I haven't attended and don't know how they trained the staff but they are just everyday folk like us who invested themselves to the benefit of so many. There are several chains with gluten-free menues, Bonefish etc., in the area but they want to try and open up more options.
Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11
Son: ADHD '06,
neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07
ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08
ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08
Gluten-free-Feb. '09
other food allergies

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: