This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Umm, I Made The Betty Crocker gluten-free Choc Chip Cookies...

lischro

lischro Apprentice

So I bought the gluten-free cookies and made them last night. It says to use softened butter but not melted- I accidentally left it in the micro too long and it melted. I thought they would still be fine....

Then, I started stirring and realized that it looked JUST LIKE real cookie dough and started to get really excited- I tasted the dough and it was delicious.

Then I read the box again and it said that the dough would be crumbly...... Mine was not at all.

Long story short- all of them baked horribly! they were completely spreading out into each other and they were flat and not at all like real cookies.

I mean, they tasted like cookies. and they definitely worked for my chocolate fix but I don't get it... What happened?! All because my butter was melted??

Help!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Skylark Collaborator

I've done them with softened butter and they worked just right. I think it was your melted butter.

Ahorsesoul Enthusiast

I made these last night. They are perfect but I did use real butter that was room temperature. The dough did look dry. You just found out why they print that little message about not using melted butter. Glad they taste good. Tell everyone they are just the fancy french version of chocolate chip cookies.

Instead of using the microwave, next time grate the cold butter on a food grater. Then get out the rest of the ingredients and set up your pans. By then the butter will be soft. I usually set out a stick of butter when I come home from the store with the box of mix. I know I'm going to make it and the butter can sit on the counter over night if I don't get to it the same day. Butter can stay on the counter for several days. Covered if you have cats or it won't last a night.

I also have made these into bars instead of cookies. I will try to remember how long I cooked them the next time I do bars.

I put the baked cookies into the freezer after they have cooled. That way I am not eating them all day long. They do not last long in this house. Thnink I'll have cookies for lunch!

lischro Apprentice

Phew! Now I know.... that's crazy. obviously I don't bake..... I had no idea it would make that much of a difference.

I should've just eaten the dough- it was fabulous haha

scarlett77 Apprentice

Yes I'm pretty sure it was the butter. Also butter tends to make cookies spread (I believe because it melts faster) so I typically sub out butter in cookies for half butter and half crisco (or butter flavored crisco). I think the purpose of butter is to distribute fat which has something to do with the moisture and shape of the cookie. So melting the butter is not going to allow the butter to do its job properly. I actually prefer to use Pamela's Pancake and baking mix and use the chocolate chip cookie recipe on the back. Sometimes I even sub M&M's for the chocolate chips...a favorite at my house!

StephanieL Enthusiast

Anyone try this mix with coconut oil or spectrum shortening?

Ginsou Explorer

I can't use BC cookie mix because of dairy and soy intolerances, but would choose the Spectrum shortening or Earth Balance. I find the Spectrum or Earth Balance works best. Room temperature, not melted!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

StephanieL Enthusiast

I can't use BC cookie mix because of dairy intolerances, but would choose the Spectrum shortening or Earth Balance. I find the Spectrum or Earth Balance works best. Room temperature, not melted!

Thanks. We can't use Earth Balance (corn). I have the BC cake mix not the cookies (dairy here too). We'll see if the egg sub and spectrum work!

Roda Rising Star

Yep, tried them with coconut oil and they tasted great. They still were a little flat but I think it was because it was melted.

runningcrazy Contributor

I made them and they were really good, the dough was crumbly.

Then my friend and I made them, and she doesnt know much about being gluten free(shes not gluten free) so she decided since its crumbly to add some water. Totally screwed them up! They were super flat, and just not cookie like. Tasted fine though.

My sister has been making homemade chocolate chip cookies since before i went gluten free. Now she just used orgran flour and earth balance in place of flour and butter. They are THE MOST amazing ever. But, they are super duper flat. and I love it!

runningcrazy Contributor

Thanks. We can't use Earth Balance (corn). I have the BC cake mix not the cookies (dairy here too). We'll see if the egg sub and spectrum work!

Wait!! The cookie mix has dairy!?!?!??! :o

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

Wait!! The cookie mix has dairy!?!?!??! :o

No it doesn't have any dairy. The directions tell you to add butter, but I don't see why you couldn't try a butter substitute. It does have soy however. You can read all the ingredients form the BC website.

StephanieL Enthusiast

Sorry, I was just going with what another posted said. Didn't mean to scare anyone ;)

runningcrazy Contributor

No it doesn't have any dairy. The directions tell you to add butter, but I don't see why you couldn't try a butter substitute. It does have soy however. You can read all the ingredients form the BC website.

Okay, good! Whew!:) I use earth balance when we bake and it turns out great, some of our things turn out even better than when we used to use real butter!!

Guest tamilynn38

So I bought the gluten-free cookies and made them last night. It says to use softened butter but not melted- I accidentally left it in the micro too long and it melted. I thought they would still be fine....

Then, I started stirring and realized that it looked JUST LIKE real cookie dough and started to get really excited- I tasted the dough and it was delicious.

Then I read the box again and it said that the dough would be crumbly...... Mine was not at all.

Long story short- all of them baked horribly! they were completely spreading out into each other and they were flat and not at all like real cookies.

I mean, they tasted like cookies. and they definitely worked for my chocolate fix but I don't get it... What happened?! All because my butter was melted??

Help!

No sweat- just add the crumbles to your ice cream etc... also for stuff like that melted butter never works- i grease muffin tins and bake stuff in it- like with the gluten-free pantry's snadwhich bread mix- i make muffins and even add gluten-free oats etc... to make them whole grain

Grace'smom Explorer

The other night I had family coming for dinner and was running behind. I needed a dessert that my gluten-free daughter could eat, so I made the Betty Crocker choc. chip mix, added in some peanut butter chips, greased an 8x8 pan and poured the mix in as an experiment to make cookie bars. I baked it at 350 for a half hour and then let them cool. Cut them into bars and they were SOOOOOOO good! Everyone raved over them, even my family members who aren't used to gluten free baking. Worth a try. I also had the same result one time in melting the butter, the cookies were paper thin. Never knew why. Now I know!

Grace'smom Explorer

PS -- I forgot: I added another tsp of vanilla and about 1 TBSP of vegetable oil to the cookie mix as I'd be using it for cookie bars. They came out absolutely perfect that way. - Emily

Neal77 Newbie

So I made these tonight and I used 1/2 cup of the country crock butter instead of 1 stick of butter.. It was already soft so I just mixed everything together. It wasn't crumbly more like reg cookie dough, so yeah they did come out flat. I guess you have to use a stick of butter. They also stuck to my cookie sheet. Next time I will try a stick of butter and see if they come out more like they suspose to. They do taste good though.

halfrunner Apprentice

So I made these tonight and I used 1/2 cup of the country crock butter instead of 1 stick of butter.. It was already soft so I just mixed everything together. It wasn't crumbly more like reg cookie dough, so yeah they did come out flat. I guess you have to use a stick of butter. They also stuck to my cookie sheet. Next time I will try a stick of butter and see if they come out more like they suspose to. They do taste good though.

Parchment paper will eliminate the sticking of your cookies. They also tend to spread out a little bit less with parchment, but I haven't been able to figure out why yet. :)

Archived