This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What Brand Of Dishsoap Do You Use?

gflooser

gflooser Contributor

I've been gluten-free for 10 years and THOUGHT I had it down pat! BUT, I think I'm getting glutened. I only get one sympton when glutened, and it's not nice for my family, if you know what I mean!!!!! So lately I've been "that way" and I have been ultra careful ( I am pregnant and trying SOOOO hard!!!) But I'm still "gassy". Not sure if it's due to the pregnancy or what.

So I've weeded out everything that could possible have gluten in it and the only thing I've come up with is the dishsoap/dishwasher detergent. I use plain dawn and cascade. I'm getting soooo frustrated!!!!!! I just hope my baby is ok!!!!

Thanks so much,

De

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

I got these emails in Jan-Feb this year. I don't think there is a reason to put gluten in dish soap. My understanding is that wheat is added to some body lotions,hand soaps, makeups, & hair products to make you shinier & make the product stick better. Not really something you want on your dishes so I doubt they add any to dish washing products.

Hi Karen,

Thanks for contacting Dawn.

I'd like to assure you that all Dawn or Cascade products does not contain gluten.

I hope this information is helpful to you!

Donna

Dawn Team

Thank you for contacting us with your question. We appreciate the opportunity to provide information regarding grain derived ingredients in Colgate Palmolive products.

We do not intentionally add gluten to the following Colgate Palmolive products. However, we cannot guarantee that the ingredients used are not exposed to any glutens.

Afta Shave products, all variants

AJAX Cleanser

AJAX Dish Liquids - all variants

Cashmere Bouquet Bar Soap

Colgate Toothpaste, all variants

Crystal White Octagon Lemon Dish Liquid

DERMASSAGE Dish Liquid

Gel-Kam Home Care Gel

Irish Spring Bar Soap, all variants

Lady Speed Stick Deodorants and Antiperspirants, all variants

Mennen Speed Stick Deodorants and Antiperspirants, all variants

MURPHY OIL SOAP - all variants

Orabase Paste

PALMOLIVE Bar Soaps, all variants

PALMOLIVE Dish Liquids - all variants

PALMOLIVE Gel Dishwasher Detergent

PALMOLIVE Triple Action Tabs

Peroxyl Rinse

Phos-Flur Rinse

Prevident Gel

Softsoap Liquid Soap, all variants

Softsoap Body Washes, all variants

TOTAL Floss

Ultra brite Toothpaste, all variants

Viadent Rinse

Viadent Toothpaste

Sorbitol is an ingredient which can be grain derived and may be found in toothpastes. Our sorbitol is corn-derived.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to contact us. We hope this information is helpful.

Sincerely,

Donna M Horne

Consumer Affairs Representative

Consumer Affairs

AFDMH1NA/USMMS1NA

k8yGreenG Newbie

I suspect that Cascade is no longer gluten free... They recently switched to a phosphate-free formula, and I don't have any confirmation from the company, but based on my husband's and SIL's symptoms (both households have been using Cascade for a long time with no issue until recently), we suspect cascade is what has been making him sick the past month or 2. picked up some Method ('all products are gluten free') a couple days ago, and he is feeling MUCH better already. trust me, he feels your pain of trying to be extremely careful and frustration of still not feeling better! came on the board to try to see if anyone else had more info on this, but I hope switching dish detergents works as well for you as it did for my husband and good luck with your pregnancy!!

-Katie

jerseyangel Proficient

I use Cascade Complete and Palmolive Dishwashing Detergent. :)

jackay Enthusiast

I suspect that Cascade is no longer gluten free... They recently switched to a phosphate-free formula, and I don't have any confirmation from the company, but based on my husband's and SIL's symptoms (both households have been using Cascade for a long time with no issue until recently), we suspect cascade is what has been making him sick the past month or 2. picked up some Method ('all products are gluten free') a couple days ago, and he is feeling MUCH better already. trust me, he feels your pain of trying to be extremely careful and frustration of still not feeling better! came on the board to try to see if anyone else had more info on this, but I hope switching dish detergents works as well for you as it did for my husband and good luck with your pregnancy!!

-Katie

Have you tried contacting them on this since your husband and SIL have symptoms again and then got better after switching to Method?

Did the symptoms show up on a daily basis or was it hit and miss? I seem to be getting sick way too often but it isn't every day. I do use Cascade. I'll have to get some Method next time I get to the store and see if my symptoms improve.

kareng Grand Master

I re- emailed the person who told me it was gluten-free in Feb. It's Sunday, so it may be a day or 2. I'll post if I hear anything.

jackay Enthusiast

I re- emailed the person who told me it was gluten-free in Feb. It's Sunday, so it may be a day or 2. I'll post if I hear anything.

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Gemini Experienced

I've been gluten-free for 10 years and THOUGHT I had it down pat! BUT, I think I'm getting glutened. I only get one sympton when glutened, and it's not nice for my family, if you know what I mean!!!!! So lately I've been "that way" and I have been ultra careful ( I am pregnant and trying SOOOO hard!!!) But I'm still "gassy". Not sure if it's due to the pregnancy or what.

So I've weeded out everything that could possible have gluten in it and the only thing I've come up with is the dishsoap/dishwasher detergent. I use plain dawn and cascade. I'm getting soooo frustrated!!!!!! I just hope my baby is ok!!!!

Thanks so much,

De

Unless you are eating dishwasher detergent, you cannot be "glutened" by running your dishes through a dishwasher with any soap. There is a pretty good rinse cycle in most dishwashers and most soaps are formulated to not leave any residue on your plates. If this were of any serious concern, I am sure the Celiac Foundation and all GI docs would be warning patients to avoid dishwasher soap. That is not the case so consider it safe. This is just another urban legend that won't die.

I would highly suspect that being pregnant would be causing the problem. I have yet to meet any pregnant woman who wasn't gassy and had GI issues when carrying a baby. It's one of the biggest complaints I hear and usually resolves after the birth. Relax...I am sure your baby is fine and you will be too! You may want to take a digestive aid to help with digestion during the pregnancy.

Very safe and it will help break down your food that may not be digesting properly due to your pregnancy. I take one and it really made a difference. As a Celiac, you may not be digesting your food 100% and pregnancy will add to that problem.

tarnalberry Community Regular

Totally could be a pregnancy symptom. Could also be a lactose issue.

jackay Enthusiast

Unless you are eating dishwasher detergent, you cannot be "glutened" by running your dishes through a dishwasher with any soap. There is a pretty good rinse cycle in most dishwashers and most soaps are formulated to not leave any residue on your plates. If this were of any serious concern, I am sure the Celiac Foundation and all GI docs would be warning patients to avoid dishwasher soap. That is not the case so consider it safe. This is just another urban legend that won't die.

My dishwasher is pretty old so I'm not so certain about all the soap getting off. I just hope it is all gluten free. I am still waiting to hear if Cascade still is. I am guessing lots of liquid dish soap for hand washing dishes could have gluten in it. Since it is added to so many other soap products, there could be a good chance of it.

Gemini Experienced

My dishwasher is pretty old so I'm not so certain about all the soap getting off. I just hope it is all gluten free. I am still waiting to hear if Cascade still is. I am guessing lots of liquid dish soap for hand washing dishes could have gluten in it. Since it is added to so many other soap products, there could be a good chance of it.

As I said before, you do not rinse your dishes after washing them? Rinsing would take care of any soap and I know as far as I am concerned, soap is pretty awful tasting so I make it a habit never to ingest any. I also have yet to find a liquid hand soap that contained gluten of any sort but I buy less mainstream products than some.

My dishwasher is not new by any means but really...this is a non-issue as far as Celiac Disease is concerned.You will not become glutened by using dish detergent unless you eat it AND it contains gluten. If this had any merit whatsoever, people would not heal and there would be warnings in medical journals about the evils of using dish detergent.

jerseyangel Proficient

I don't have a problem with Cascade, that's not to say you couldn't.

I do believe that there could be enough residue from soaps to cause a reaction--not damage, as there is a difference. For instance, I am extremely sensitive to coconut and detergents made with coconut derivatives. I absolutely react to dishes washed in some of the more natural detergents since they are pretty much completely coconut. Clorox Naturals, for example, give me migraines and neuro issues.

Gemini Experienced

I don't have a problem with Cascade, that's not to say you couldn't.

I do believe that there could be enough residue from soaps to cause a reaction--not damage, as there is a difference. For instance, I am extremely sensitive to coconut and detergents made with coconut derivatives. I absolutely react to dishes washed in some of the more natural detergents since they are pretty much completely coconut. Clorox Naturals, for example, give me migraines and neuro issues.

That would be an allergic type reaction and not a Celiac reaction, as you would have to ingest the product to cause a Celiac reaction. Many people have a reaction to topical products but I think the poster was concerned about ingesting soap from a washed plate. That won't happen unless you fail to rinse the plate and let the soap dry on the plate before serving your dinner on it. I can't imagine anyone doing that.

I think this lifestyle can be difficult enough for some people without adding the confusion over an allergic vs. Celiac reaction and there is a huge difference between the two.

jerseyangel Proficient

That would be an allergic type reaction and not a Celiac reaction, as you would have to ingest the product to cause a Celiac reaction. Many people have a reaction to topical products but I think the poster was concerned about ingesting soap from a washed plate. That won't happen unless you fail to rinse the plate and let the soap dry on the plate before serving your dinner on it. I can't imagine anyone doing that.

I think this lifestyle can be difficult enough for some people without adding the confusion over an allergic vs. Celiac reaction and there is a huge difference between the two.

Yes, but my point was that there can be enough of a residue on a washed and rinsed plate if the detergent or rinse agent used contains the offending ingredient to cause a reaction in sensitive individuals--be it Celiac (because in that case you are ingesting it) or allergy. I stand by that.

dilettantesteph Collaborator

Yes, but my point was that there can be enough of a residue on a washed and rinsed plate if the detergent or rinse agent used contains the offending ingredient to cause a reaction in sensitive individuals--be it Celiac (because in that case you are ingesting it) or allergy. I stand by that.

I agree, but probably only for sensitive celiacs. After all, some are completely asymptomatic. I did better after I got rid of my rinse agent.

jerseyangel Proficient

I agree, but probably only for sensitive celiacs. After all, some are completely asymptomatic. I did better after I got rid of my rinse agent.

That's why I qualified my statement with "sensitive individuals". Most won't have any problems at all, but I like to give experience from a super sensitive point of view in case it applies. I wish someone had done that 5 years ago when I kept thinking I was nuts.

I like to give experience from a super sensitive point of view in case it applies. I wish someone had done that 5 years ago when I kept thinking I was nuts.

Yes!!

You may have been one of the ones who did that and helped me to finally start to get well. I can't remember anymore who it was. This was almost 3 years ago when I first came on here and I was reacting to everything. People kept saying that they don't react and I must have some other problem. It was such a relief to finally realize what was going on so that I could get healthy. I still haven't found any other problem besides trace gluten and avenin. Thank you!

I know of at least one dish soap that contains gluten as an ingredient.

jackay Enthusiast

I contacted Proctor and Gamble and was told all their dish soaps are gluten free.

Something is making me real sick. I had a gluten dream last night and that hasn't happened for at least six months. I don't know if it is the glutening or that I am trying so hard to figure out what is making me sick that it is always on my mind.

Last night I didn't get to sleep until close to 3 a.m. and then woke up from that dream so basically it was a sleepless night.

kareng Grand Master

[quote name='dilettantesteph' date='23 September 2010 - 07:21 AM' timestamp='1285244490' post=

I know of at least one dish soap that contains gluten as an ingredient.

I Tknow of at least one dish soap that contains gluten as an ingredient.

Ecover dishwashing liquid with lemon and aloe vera has hydrolyzed wheat gluten as one of the ingredients.

Open Original Shared Link

Hope no one forgot to check ingredients.

I used to use another scent, but decided that CC was a possibility and switched to a different brand.

Gemini Experienced

I am an extremely super sensitive Celiac and have no issue with dish soap or any perceived residue on them. Again, if this were truly a problem for Celiacs, it would be mentioned and written about in publications and books pertaining to this disease. It isn't, at least not in any reputable publication I have read and I have read many in order to follow this diet correctly.

If someone has a topical allergy to an ingredient in dish soap, and it may not even be gluten related, there could be a reaction. But a danger to celiacs from ingesting any residue (of which I think there is next to none anyway) from a rinsed plate is highly unlikely. There are those who are very sensitive to topical agents but it should not be confused with a Celiac reaction, which I thought the original poster was referring to in their question.

jerseyangel Proficient

Again, if this were truly a problem for Celiacs, it would be mentioned and written about in publications and books pertaining to this disease.

Cross contamination is mentioned plenty--it's no different than a residue left on shared equipment during processing. That is assuming that the soap contained gluten in the first place.

Celiac "publications and books" discuss avoiding damage to the villi, which is what they can measure and document--many super sensitives still have reactions that don't cause damage but that are terribly unpleasant. Everyone's experiences are different--but no less important.

oceangirl Collaborator

Just want to add my voice to those who recommend dishsoap sans gluten. If you've ever swilled from a glass, say, a teenager washed and rinsed with a little less zeal than you might hope for and tasted SOAP- I rest my case!

Patti is wise, as always. Cross contamination is cross contamination and if there are posters here who have never had serious issues with this while still considering themselves to be super sensitives I believe those posters are EXTREMELY lucky!

Walking in other's moccasins can be very hard to do for some...

lisa

• 1 month later...
seb Newbie

-Katie

I've been sick since the first week of July (when Cascade changed their formula). The smell makes me sick so I stopped using it (and improved) but we recently pulled this bottle out of the cabinet. Sick again!! I don't have Celiac. I just did a google search on Cascade Complete making you sick and found your post. I also found other websites with people who have similar complaints. I think this is just a very bad product. Thanks for the info about Method-I'll give it a try!

oceangirl Collaborator

I use Seventh Generation- and it frees us up slightly from our addiction to petrochemicals!

I agree with Patti as a highly sensitive person- ANY residue can cause problems! It must be so wonderful to never have to deal with this and have everything so cut and dried- I'm envious of such people! And I trust that some feel their experience should be the experience of all but it just isn't so. Countless examples in science contradict long-standing findings of other scientists- reminding us that the world is constantly surprising, evasive, changing, challenging and confounding us- showing us in stark relief that there are no black and whites.

lisa

Archived