19 replies to this topic

#16 luvs2eat

luvs2eat

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 08:55 AM

My last two experiences at Chili's were bad... I asked for the gluten-free menu both times... explained my whole deal... and then had to call the manager over to show him a tortilla stip in my salad. The manager said that the two salad mixes were probably next to each other. The last time, the salad I ordered also wasn't supposed to contain tortilla strips and it was FILLED w/ them... they chose the completely wrong salad mix! I told my husband (who loves Chilis) that I'd give it one more try before I wrote a scathing letter to the company, but we've not been back since. I'm not inclined to go now... after hearing your experience!!
luvs2eat
Living in the beautiful Ozark mountains in Arkansas
positive blood tests and later, positive biopsy
diagnosed 8/5/02, gluten-free (after lots of mistakes!) since that day
Dairy free since July 2010 and NOT happy about it!!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 NancyL

NancyL

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 03:38 PM

Here's my recent Chili's experience.

Back at the table, the waitress arrived with just the kid's food. She told me there was a delay, a problem, with my food. I asked her what the problem could be and here is what she said; "UM.......yea......apparently, the cook wasn't careful with your food or something....ya see, we've had all these customers come in that are eating gluten free by choice because it's a fad, so the cook didn't take the whole ordering from the gluten free menu seriously, he just figured you were another food fad person. Then the managar ran back and told him you were the real deal and that she saw hives on your arms just from touching the table and that she had to re-clean it for you. She told him that your food had better be safe or he could cause you to leave the restaurant by ambulance. So, the cook had to throw away your food and start over, and do it right. We're really sorry, we actually even have 3 waitreeses who have gone gluten free because it's popular right now. But don't worry, the cook does know how to make sure your food is safe, and he's making sure it's safe now"

So, as it turns out, because it's popular to go gluten-free, restaurants may not take us seriously.....scary.

Wow! Thank you for your story Trish Trish! Why would someone go gluten free if they didn't need to? A FAD?!? Wow. I'm wondering if that is what happened to my food now. Hmmmm... I haven't been glutoned since but then again, the only take out I've had is Jason's and only once.
Nancy

Gluten'd myself (1 meal) on 2/15/2011 thinking I was going to get a second Celiac Panel done
Gluten Free began 02/11/2011

#18 catsmeow

catsmeow

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 04:01 PM

Wow! Thank you for your story Trish Trish! Why would someone go gluten free if they didn't need to? A FAD?!? Wow. I'm wondering if that is what happened to my food now. Hmmmm... I haven't been glutoned since but then again, the only take out I've had is Jason's and only once.

I know....it's nuts!!! If I didn't have a wheat allergy. I would be buried up to my earlobes in Krispy Kream donuts right now!!! If you google "gluten free fad" you will see a bunch of news stories about it. It scares me......yet, that's why we have so many new great gluten-free products! That, I like!
You've cat to be kitten me right meow

Wheat Allergy-April 2010
Gluten Intolerant-April 2010
Dairy/casien intolerant-Aug 2012
Lactose intolerant- Aug 2012
Soy Intolerant-November 2012
October 2012- I learned that I am 1/2 Irish with a strong family history of Gluten Intolerance/Celiacs. I will never know If I am Celiac because I will never eat gluten again in order to test postive, it's poison and I do not ever want to feel the way I felt before implementing the gluten free diet EVER again!!!

#19 jodyc60

jodyc60

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 03:12 PM

I'm sorry to report that I was glutened at a Chili's today. I ordered the children's portion of the grilled chicken with a side of broccoli. About 20 minutes after I ate I began to feel sick with a headache and a bad stomach ache. The stomach ache is the kind I've come to associate with being glutened. I'm so mad, because I wanted to trust their gluten-free menu, but I suppose it was a matter of cross-contamination. I won't eat there again. :(

#20 LauraTX

LauraTX

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 01:47 PM

I hear ya, Jody.  Welcome to the forum, by the way!   I used to be a big fan of Chilis and their cheap greasy eats, but I haven't dared step into one since diagnosis.  I just feel their inexperienced staff is a recipe for disaster.   That is why I stay away from the value based chain restaurants, because if you can't order something with no onions and them get it right, how can you reasonably expect your meal to be protected from CC in their busy kitchen?  I will keep them on the back burner and only go if there is no choice between that and starvation, haha.  

I am my husband's "Silly Yak Girl" :)
I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in January 2013. I also have Lupus and Common Variable Immunodeficiency(CVID) for which I am on IVIG.

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: