16 replies to this topic

#16 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,149 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 05:47 AM

I went to Denny's tonight. I ordered scrambled eggs, bacon, ham and hash browns. I ended up having an asthma attack within 15 minutes. Usual triggers for me are msg,gluten, cinnamon and yelllow #5. Their allergy list doesn't list any of these. Any ideas?

Could be gluten. Denny's isn't really a place I would trust. They may have put the piece of toast that comes with the meal on top of the eggs and the waitress took it off before serving. Or cooked the hash browns where they just made pancakes, etc, etc, etc....

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Takala

Takala

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:13 AM

While I have not been there in several years, it would depend on the Denny's and what the waitstaff/cooks were like and what was ordered. If you are careful and have a good waiter, plus have good back and forth communication (this is where the word "allergy" comes in handy, altho technically incorrect)  you can get a few items there to make a meal.  ( I wouldn't do this at a lot of Denny's, just the 2 I have been to in this one town near here. When I explained I needed a side dish, to go with 2 plain eggs, they made me a fruit cup out of all fresh fruit. I was really grateful for this. You know how it goes sometimes, when you really need to eat and still have a long trip to reach home.  )  I would not do the hash browns, however, or anything not cooked on a clean surface.  You could pick up cross contamination from the grill, or the hash browns could have had preservatives in them to keep them from browning when frozen.  You are also at the mercy of their food suppliers, they (the kitchen manager)  may order something for the week or the month, but get another product in which is not updated on their menus. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: