This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Weird Looking "object" In Gluten-Free Mall Banner

RiceGuy

RiceGuy Collaborator

The first time I saw this, I couldn't figure out what it was. As of now, I still cannot make heads or tails of it. Can you? The arrow points to the "object" which just doesn't look like it could possibly be a normal part of the person's head. What's wrong with this picture, or am I simply not seeing the obvious?

gfmall.webp

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
psawyer Proficient

A lollipop?

kareng Grand Master

She's holding the lollipop up to the camera so we can see the logo? Its her space alien baby?

Or do you mean her red hair beside the loli? The side that's in the sun looks red and her second pony tail is blowing a bit. Her hair is layered so in pony tails, some is shorter than the rest. It does look odd. Someone didn't edit the picture?

Don't you just love this site's posters? They come up with the most interesting and thought provoking questions. Very fun. :D

IrishHeart Veteran

hmm.... looks like ....A "drippy" :unsure: yellow lolli with the C.com "No wheat" logo.

Marilyn R Community Regular

"X" marks the spot where you don't want gluten? The red thing looks like a spiny tailed lobster to me. Rice guy, come to the rescue, inquiring minds want to know. :D

RiceGuy Collaborator

For those who suggest the lollipop, no, I'm referring to the reddish "thing" which is mostly obscured by the lollipop, except for the left portion. My first impression is echoed by kareng's comment about an alien, but I didn't want to say it :ph34r:

Whatever it is, the texture doesn't look like it could be hair. It also appears too far forward for that. If it was part of the person's face, then she's got the thickest neck in human history. Or perhaps an underdeveloped conjoined twin?

They say the world may never know how many licks it takes to get to the center of a tootsie roll pop. Now we may also never know what's behind the lollipop!

Oh, the mystery...

Bubba's Mom Enthusiast

I had to really enlarge the pic a lot to get a good look and I think it's another ponytail? The hair is layered, so the sun is hitting it unevenly...or it's an alien? :unsure:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

JustNana Apprentice

Rice Guy,

I'm with you. That's one strange image. A real fan of horror fiction, I could put forth some theories, the least disturbing of which would be the undeveloped conjoined twin thingie. It does vaguely resemble other humanoid pieces-parts which I decline to name.

LOL. What a great diversion!

elye Community Regular

...Hmmm... . ...it looks rather like one-half of a cooked jumbo shrimp, tail still on.

In fact, I am now certain that this is what we are seeing. Really -- think about how obvious it suddenly is: featured in a gluten-free merchandise company's advertisement -- a jumbo shrimp, a completely gluten-free food source, subtly braced on a female model's neck....obscured by a lollipop, yet another round, gluten-free, no-cutlery-needed treat.... . ..

So obvious, now.

Sometimes you just have to pause and think about something for a few seconds.

Okay! Now I can get on with my day, and all the other sudden challenges I'll be asked to join. ... .

:rolleyes:

RiceGuy Collaborator

I can't see how it could be a ponytail, since the one we see on the other side is much higher. We'd therefor see it start farther up, I'd think. Besides, it appears to be a very different color than the hair which can be seen in sunlight. Wrong texture too, I would say.

modiddly16 Enthusiast

it's a red heads ponytail! hahaha sheesh people :D

IrishHeart Veteran

It's a woman, with red hair --in ponytails--- holding a lolli.

The red "object" is part of her ponytail (on the right side of her

head) blowing forward. That's all I see.

But if you guys see an alien, a shrimp, or anything else ...well, that's cool, too. Whatever blows yer skirt up. :lol:

elye Community Regular

Whatever blows yer skirt up.

Gahhhhhhhh! :lol: :lol: :lol: This is a most FANTASTIC expression -- will be incorporating it regularly into my discourse...

IrishHeart Veteran

Gahhhhhhhh! :lol: :lol: :lol: This is a most FANTASTIC expression -- will be incorporating it regularly into my discourse...

Feel free! :)

But I have to give my 85- year-old Mom her due "props" however, as I stole it from HER! I still remember the first time I said it in front of a classroom and the students went ballistic. :lol: :lol: :lol:

JoyfulGF Apprentice

The first time I saw this, I couldn't figure out what it was. As of now, I still cannot make heads or tails of it. Can you? The arrow points to the "object" which just doesn't look like it could possibly be a normal part of the person's head. What's wrong with this picture, or am I simply not seeing the obvious?

gfmall.webp

Do you know how long I have been trying to figure this out? Every time I see the ad, I still try to figure it out. I don't think it's the person's pony tail. Don't know what it could be. I do want to know what it really is though! I'm weird and want to find things like that out, even if it takes contacting the company, lol. It can't be a red head, she has dark skin.

modiddly16 Enthusiast

You're silly. It absolutely can be red hair, the sun is shining on the one side of her body and the other is in the shade, based on the color of the skin on her hand it looks tan, not "dark". As a red head, I assure you that our hair color looks different in the sun than it does in the shade!

JoyfulGF Apprentice

You're silly. It absolutely can be red hair, the sun is shining on the one side of her body and the other is in the shade, based on the color of the skin on her hand it looks tan, not "dark". As a red head, I assure you that our hair color looks different in the sun than it does in the shade!

haha, I think it's funny when people call me silly.

Her skin looks too dark on her hand. In any case, you're probably right because her hair that's flowing looks too much like Caucasian hair. But, I still don't think it's hair, it's too low to be the other pony tail. lol

RiceGuy Collaborator

Thing is, the texture is not at all like that of hair. It appears solid, and has specularity. Also notice the total absence of any light shining through it, which there would be if it was hair, especially given the obvious wind blowing. Not to mention that there is light shining on hair further up on that side, and it looks nothing like the portion in question.

Not having any other mundane explanation doesn't mean it has to be hair.

JoyfulGF Apprentice

I just got a reply from customer service about the ad. Whoever thought it was hair wins! I lose!

Hi Liz,

Thank you for contacting us. Please note hat is just the lady's pony tail. The lighting is different on that side which gives it more of a "redish" tint vs the rest of her hair. Please let me know if you still have any questions and I will do my best to assist you.

Take care,

Dyani

At 06:50 AM 4/18/2012, you wrote:

To whom it may concern,

I have a question about one of your ads. One of the forum threads is all about this ad. There is a lady holding a lollipop with a gluten free mall logo on it. What is that weird thing to the left of the lollipop?

Thank you!

Dyani Barber

Customer Service / Sales Manager

Celiac.com

The Celiac Disease & Gluten-Free Diet Support Page

www.celiac.com

The Gluten-Free Mall

IrishHeart Veteran

One more try. :lol:

Look at the size of her hand. :rolleyes:

You are missing the perspective...from this amateur photographer's point of view. She is leaning forward with her right arm thrust forward and that is why her hand is so big. She is showing us the lolli and her right shoulder is torqued forward.

Her right-side ponytail pieces are blown forward in the breeze.

That's what I see.

or it's a space alien (for those of you who continue to see that) :lol:

but really, why not just email Scott-- who is the administrator--and ask him and end the speculation??

NOTE:

well, as I was writing this last response (that's what I get for taking so long to type), someone posted with THE answer. (oh thank heavens!)

It's her hair! aha!

So, let me be the first of the childish ones to say :

Told you so, NA NA!!! :D

modiddly16 Enthusiast

Thing is, the texture is not at all like that of hair. It appears solid, and has specularity. Also notice the total absence of any light shining through it, which there would be if it was hair, especially given the obvious wind blowing. Not to mention that there is light shining on hair further up on that side, and it looks nothing like the portion in question.

Not having any other mundane explanation doesn't mean it has to be hair.

I guess my "mundane explanation" was correct.

IrishHeart Veteran

I guess my "mundane explanation" was correct.

:lol:

I guess my same explanation was mundane too, then?

kareng Grand Master

I think I said that first?

But a space alien or Voldermort growing out the side of her head is more fun!

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

I kinda always thought it was her hair. Just poorly tied ponytails. Which MR Riceguy would know if he'd ever tried to tie pigtails! They don't always come out perfect....

Marilyn R Community Regular

I've followed the thread and still don't have a clue,even though Riceguy provided hints. Maybe it's one of the Unsolved Mysteries. It it what it is, perhaps.

Archived