4 replies to this topic

#1 luvs2eat

luvs2eat

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 11:47 AM

I zipped into the health food store the other day and grabbed Udi's gluten-free bagels and Rudi's gluten-free hot dog buns. Last night I had a BLT on one of the hot dog buns and 3 hours later spent the worst next 3 hours of my life as my entire digestive system completely purged itself. During the "down time" (in-between barfing in the waste basket and squirting out of my butt) I went thru everything? Bacon? Nope. Tomato? Picked that day. Lettuce? Maybe it was some weird recalled produce? Mayo? Nope. Cherries? Nope. I wondered if I had food poisoning. I wondered if it was a glutening... would I feel like this for 3 days?? I don't understand why the stomach keeps trying to empty itself when there's obviously nothing LEFT in there!!

This morning I'm better but as weak as a kitten. The last time I was glutened was about 3 years ago and in the 10 years I've been gluten-free... I've only been glutened a few times. I pulled out the Rudi's hot dog rolls and instead of Wheat Free on the package, it said, "Wheat buns!" I can't believe I didn't see it. What a dope! I may mention to the really nice health food peeps that it would really be good if they kept all of the gluten-free frozen options together rather than putting all of the Rudi's stuff together, not all of which is gluten-free.

That said... It really told me just how sensitive I've become to gluten. I've NEVER had this extreme a reaction before. I sure will read and RE-read the packages from now on!!
luvs2eat
Living in the beautiful Ozark mountains in Arkansas
positive blood tests and later, positive biopsy
diagnosed 8/5/02, gluten-free (after lots of mistakes!) since that day
Dairy free since July 2010 and NOT happy about it!!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,502 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 11:53 AM

Oh dear. :o I hope you're feeling better soon! LOL
Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 12:18 PM

Yikes! Feel better soon :(
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#4 Monklady123

Monklady123

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 05:29 PM

Yikes! Sounds horrible. :ph34r: I hope you're feeling better now. Yeah, Rudi's is tricky like that. Udi's at least makes only gluten free stuff (I'm assuming that's the case since I've never seen any gluteny stuff from Udi's.)

I was tricked once in the beginning by Newman's "oreo" cookies. In big letters it says "WHEAT FREE". So I picked up a bag of them. Later, after having a reaction, I read the teeny letters that say "not gluten free" and then the ingredients that included barley malt. oy.

#5 eatmeat4good

eatmeat4good

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 06:16 PM

Oh gosh I'm so sorry you had that experience but I'm glad you lived to tell about it. It sounds awful. I hope your symptoms start calming down soon. And after 3 years without a glutening?! Oh how happy you will be when this episode is over. I hope you feel better really soon. I really don't like it when they put gluten free bread right next to gluteny bread.
Healing is a matter of time, but it is sometimes also a matter of opportunity.
--Hippocrates

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: