10 replies to this topic

#1 VydorScope

VydorScope

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 07:33 AM

So, we have a toaster oven, that works fine. We do not have any funds to replace it right now, no matter how cheap of one we could get. BUT the oven is full of crumbs, and all kinds of gluten, soy and other wonderful ingredients that we need to avoid for my son. Cleaning it completely does not seem possible. It is probably 10+ years old now.

So, if I use tin foil on the baking tray that we stick in there, can we still use the oven? What if we make sure the food is also covered? Is there any way this stuff could be transferred though smoke or other air born means? I am thinking that we might just have to avoid any foods that need it, or use the full sized oven in its place but it sure would be nice to use the smaller cheaper to run unit.

- Vincent -

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 08:07 AM

I would scrub the crap out of it, look into getting a new tray, and use the foil until you get a new tray. There really shouldn't be any transfer of proteins in the smoke if you've cleaned the whole thing well.
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

#3 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,245 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 08:31 AM

I agree with Jess. Unless there is a breeze, gluten can't jump up and chase you or your food. Thank goodness!

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#4 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,148 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 08:35 AM

Hi,

I think you would be ok with the tin foil on the tray. Scrub the oven inside good first (after unplugging). You might want to take it ouside and open the bottom if it has a removeable one. Lots of crumbs could hide in there. Or turn it upside down and shake it good. Outside of course.

The smoke part doesn't sound like good eating anyway. :)
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#5 FruitEnthusiast

FruitEnthusiast

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 09:20 AM

The toaster oven is 10 years old, huh? If it were me, I wouldn't use it. Gluten = glue is what I've heard. I've read that some sensitive people get a reaction from sitting in a bakery without eating a thing. Maybe a gluten free toaster oven just for your son's food? I don't think an inexpensive one costs that much, or what about a "new unused still in the box" model on amazon or ebay?

Sara  :)   "This life is a test. It is only a test. If it had been an actual life, you would

have received further instructions on where to go and what to do"

"If you're going through hell, keep going" :) Winston Churchill
Histamine Intolerant  Apr 2014

N C Gluten Intolerant dx Feb 2012  Also Intolerant to Rice, Eggs, Nightshades.
Gluten-Free/ Grain-free/ only whole foods prepared at home since  March 2012
Dairy, Soy, Chocolate free since Jan 2012   Sensitive to Corn and Mold since 1995

#6 VydorScope

VydorScope

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 11:39 AM

Scrub the oven inside good first (after unplugging).

But the fireworks are half the fun!
:lol:

- Vincent -

#7 Darn210

Darn210

Cookies!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 01:37 PM

I was actually thinking vacuum cleaner ;)

If you're vacumming crumbs and you've already hosed it out, you might want to use a shop vac.
Janet

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

Posted Image

#8 eatmeat4good

eatmeat4good

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 07:37 PM

Great idea on vacuuming it!
And I agree with scrubbing the crap out of it.
I was in the same position not being able to afford a new toaster oven when we first went gluten free.
I kept the toaster oven. Used foil. But I was so paranoid of gluten at that point...I just left the bottom alone and didn't touch it. You should have seen me putting food in and taking food out....it was hilarious...like I was doing surgery or something. But I figured well, gluten can't jump! Mistake was.....my son, a teen, also had to be gluten free and we got a bit too casual. One day I put the toast in carefully and he took it out of the oven and brought me my share. I got very sick from gluten, but couldn't figure it out. I finally asked enough questions that I learned my son was taking the toast out of the toaster oven, and a piece fell on the open pull down door of the toaster oven and he picked it up and put it on the plate. My plate. Arrgh. I hadn't shared the hazmat procedure for the oven clearly enough. I also almost could not believe that this would gluten me....but it did. I was so sick from that incident that suddenly I had enough money to buy a new toaster oven!
True Story! And the hazmat procedure was used when I deposited the gluten toaster oven in the dumpster.

So if you are careful it can be done...I should have scrubbed the crap out of it and vacuumed it. Just wanted you to be aware of what can go wrong if you don't. :) Good luck.
Healing is a matter of time, but it is sometimes also a matter of opportunity.
--Hippocrates

#9 VydorScope

VydorScope

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 01:37 AM

If you're vacumming crumbs and you've already hosed it out, you might want to use a shop vac.

Good idea, not thought of that one ... but, grrr, ... then the shop vac would have gluten in it, and he would tell us he can't vacuum any more! :lol:

- Vincent -

#10 FruitEnthusiast

FruitEnthusiast

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:57 AM

Look, for when you can afford it eventually, a new toaster oven for $20, no shop vac needed :) ...something to maybe look forward to if you decide to go that route at some point.

http://www.walmart.c...r-Oven/20564668

Sara  :)   "This life is a test. It is only a test. If it had been an actual life, you would

have received further instructions on where to go and what to do"

"If you're going through hell, keep going" :) Winston Churchill
Histamine Intolerant  Apr 2014

N C Gluten Intolerant dx Feb 2012  Also Intolerant to Rice, Eggs, Nightshades.
Gluten-Free/ Grain-free/ only whole foods prepared at home since  March 2012
Dairy, Soy, Chocolate free since Jan 2012   Sensitive to Corn and Mold since 1995

#11 Roda

Roda

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:10 PM

I use my air compressor to blow out crumbs from my husbands toaster(the gluten toaster) and the gluten free toaster as well. After awhile the crumbs still build up even if you open the bottom and dump it.

Me:
Celiac disease(positive blood work/biopsy- 10/2008), gluten free oat intolerent, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis/Disease, Raynaud's Disease

DS2(age 9):
celiac disease(positive IgA tTG, no biopsy- 11/2010)

DS1(age 13):
repeated negative bloodwork and negative EGD/biopsy. Started on a gluten free trial(8/2011). He has decided to stay gluten free due to all of the improvements he has experienced on the diet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: