Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ankle Problems

9 posts in this topic

For more than 10 years I have been twisting my left ankle, For years I am doing fine and then all of a sudden I twist

it and keep on twisting it. I have been to a holistic clinic and did acupuncture. They both said that the problem was in my intestines and that I had problems absorbing the nutrients and vitamins. They didn't make the link to celiac disease (have had stomach aches, mouth ulcers, apin in my legs, etc, for years)

Through a natural health practioner I was diagnosed with celiac disease. Since may 2011 I have been on a gluten free diet.

Last week I twisted my right ankle. It is not broken, but can't walk normally for 5 weeks.

I was wondering if my ankle problems can be linked to celiac disease, maybe osteoporosis or reuma or maybe someone has an idea?

Thanks in advance for your reactions

Ads by Google:

I've never really considered that any problems with my ankles were related to celiac. I don't to go to doctor every time I have an issue because frankly, if it isn't broken they're just going to tell my to put it up, put ice on it, baby it for a few days, then stop babying it. Same crap, every time. This has been happening since I was pretty little. I did actually break one of my ankles once, but I jumped off the top of the swingset because I apparently have a hearing problem. (My mom told me like a thousand times not to.)

But yeah, I seem fine then seemingly randomly a foot will twist under me for absolutely NO REASON. I faceplant myself on the ground as gracefully as possible and notice then when I try to get up that standing on that let just is not going to happen. I won't even speculate on if it's the same sort of issue causing both our problems or what that issue is. But I am paranoid now because it's been a good few years since this has happened. :ph34r:

Hi,

I really don't know the answer to your question about the relation to twisted ankles. I guess another way to think of that would be weak or extra stretchy tendons. But it seems like it could be possible,. Celiac can affect any area of the body. Mal-nourishment (meaning lack of essential vitamins) not underweight), can make it difficult for the body to heal and maintain itself. Seems to me that could cause a problem with tendons.

I used to twist my ankles fairly often as a teen running up and down the hills in SE Ohio on our family farm. I haven't had a problem with it for many years though. Maybe because I like to let the hills have their quiet time these days. But running through the woods can do that to you. :)

Not sure if it is related, but I too have had problems with my ankles most of my life. No warning, just all the sudden fall down because one of my ankles will just give. Interesting

Hmmm it's an interesting thought, I lean towards the loose tendon process, myself. I always had ankle trouble as a kid, but it was attributed to sports, as I was a basketball player and hadn't been diagnosed until my twenties. I am at the present moment battling a knee/tendon issue. I have one knee that feels the need to dislocate once and a while and lock. Clean MRI except swelling, but lots of physical therapy to strengthen the ligaments/tendons/joint....I'll be interested to see if the orthopedic doc thinks there's a connection to my celiac, I'll let you know! 😃

I also have had weak/many twisted ankles - always thought I was just klutzy - interesting thing is I had rubber knees my entire life - they would dislocate often - even get knocked out by my husband's legs bumping mine while sleeping -- that hasn't happened in the past couple years! I'd lean toward the tendons being effected by the mal-aborption of nutrients caused by Celiac theory.

Wow...hadn't added my rubber knees to my list of symptoms that were improved gluten-free - nice.

I have a hypermobility syndrome and when on gluten I was constantly dislocating. My ankles were the worst and I had braces to wear when I slept. My knees were also a problem. I now rarely dislocate anymore. My drawer of ankle, knee and wrist supports is really getting very dusty. My joints don't snap, crackle and pop anymore either.

I don't know for sure but I wonder if the excess water weight and swelling from inflammation I had contributed to the dislocations. Don't know just glad they don't happen as often.

I have a dysfunctional tendon syndrome known as PTTD that cause twisting ankles a lot. It's related to flat-footedness. I finally had to go to podiatrist because I could barely walk due to pain. I was fitted with prescription orthotics and ankle brace. If I hadn't gone, I wouldn't be walking today. Now I call walk okay but will probably always have to wear the orthotics.

I too, am hesitant to throw good money at doctors when half the time the thing goes away on its own.

But I just wonder if a visit to a podiatrist isn't in order. Mine diagnosed me immediately. If I had gone to one years earlier, I might not have deteriorated as badly as I have :( Live and learn.

It's very possible that the past damage to your ankle has caused permanent damage, and that could cause you to keep re-hurting it.

When I was about 11 I twisted my left ankle really badly, and it was black with deep bruises and very swollen. An x-ray showed that it had a small fracture. Since then it has continued to give me problems. When I was a teen it was always turning over or getting re-fractured. My parents just accused me of being clumsy (they didn't bother to try and find out what was making me so clumsy...sigh).

The last time I fractured it was about 3 years ago, and that time I started to see a physical therapist. She said that the damage over the years had caused the tendons to stretch and the whole area to be arthritic. My left leg is also now about 1/2" longer than the right leg, which probably doesn't help with balancing. She gave me some stretches to do, which help, and I try to keep active on it without too much strain (elliptical machine at the gym is great).

As for the cause, I really don't know. It could have been gluten-related clumsiness, gluten-related bone issues, or just a bad fall that caused a chain-reaction of other events. I read quite a bit recently about gluten-related stress fractures, which makes me think it might be gluten related.