8 replies to this topic

#1 Pauliewog

Pauliewog

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 03:01 AM

I've been gluten free since Feb. this year. I am learning that when I accidentally get some gluten my first symptom is a killer headache. Does anyone else get headaches and is there a recommended OTC medication you use?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 03:15 AM

Welcome :). I use Bayer Buffered Aspirin or Extra Strength Tylenol .
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#3 NewNicole

NewNicole

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 10:21 AM

I have pretty nasty migraine headaches. I was getting them about twice a week before going gluten free. After a little over a year I only have them once a month. I'm hoping it goes down more as I get better. As far medicines go I always use Excedrin Migraine. There have been a few times that I have used Aleve, which is naproxin. A doctor told me that both of these products are good for my situation. I have also been prescribed medicine but I'm not a big fan of taking much so I only take the over the counter and even then I try to avoid it. Taking too much of an of these can eat out your stomach and cause liver damage. So be careful. If you have to take it too often you need to tell your doctor. Hope you feel better soon.

#4 kristenloeh

kristenloeh

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 05:22 PM

That is my first symptom as well, but I also have chronic migraines, so I have a migraine everyday. I have to be on a few prescribed abortive meds, along with figuring a preventative and pain meds when they just won't quit or else I end up in the hospital. Excedrin Migraine Extra Strength is good for most people though.

Diagnosed Celiac 04.2012
Gluten-Free 04.2012

Diagnosed Pituitary Prolactinoma 12.2012

Low Cortisol/Possible Addison's Disease 02.2013

Maybe one day I will feel "normal" again. <3

#5 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,582 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 06:39 AM

Going gluten-free REALLY helped my migraines. I think I had one about 2/3 of the time and now it's down to a few days of the month. :) I didn't realize I had it so much until they left. lol

Brad King's Ultimate Migraine Headache Relief helps me take the edge off. I found with ibuporfen and tylenol, the edge would be lessened but my body still had that migraine feel... just felt wrong and slow. Brad King's seems to help with my "migraine body" feeling as well as the pain.

Feverfew helps too.
Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#6 cavernio

cavernio

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 08:18 AM

Ibuprofen is my go-to pain killer, which means I used it for cramps and headaches mainly. Works really really well, although I find it wears off 4 3 hours after it's kicked in.
I thought Aleve was ibuprofen. Motrin is ibuprofen. Rexall ibuprofen is gluten-free last I looked, or at least no gluten ingredients in it. Tylenol doesn't do a thing for me. Not sure about aspirin.
diagnosed Jan 2012, bloodwork only
June 2012 positive visual of celiac disease from gastroscopy

#7 mommida

mommida

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,958 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 08:50 AM

I had meningitus, so I suffered with the recurring headaches for 3 years after. I also have a history of migraines. I live in the mid west, so seasonal allergies are a constant battle.

My all natural approach to headaches...

drink smart water (added calcium, potassium, & ) take a substantial amount of vitamin B12 (liquid form or sublingual)
breathe slowly and deeply
stretch those neck and shoulder muscles
remember what it feels like not to have a headache (don't think about how silly that sounds, just do it)
work the sinuses ~ find the small fingertip sized dents up in your hairline press down into these spaces for a few seconds and then release the pressure
you can also use light tapping of finger tips (like pretending rain) across the forehead and cheek bones.

This is a way to determine what the cause of the headaches are. dehydration, diet defiencies, stress, sinus issues
Michigan

#8 kittty

kittty

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 08:52 AM

Excedrin Migraine and Excedrin Sinus are both great....BUT in January of this year production of Excedrin was stopped because of a cross-contamination issue at the manufacturer. They won't be sending out new supplies to stores until next month, and will start with the Migraine variety. No news on when the Sinus one will be available again, and I haven't found a store-brand substitute.

I tried the prescription med Imitrex, but the side-effects were just as bad as the migraines (nose bleeds, lock-jaw, anxiety).

#9 Bexxa

Bexxa

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 02:26 PM

I used Excedrin Migraine and Excedrin PM when it was on the market and it worked lovely. After it was removed I took the generic I found at Walmart. Equate Migraine Relief and Equate Acetaminophen PM. It's identical in primary ingredients to Excedrin except the PM version contains slightly less diphenhydramine than Excedrin had (25mg versus 38mg). And yes, I saved the bottles of Excedrin for comparison! I feel that it works for me just as well when I get migraines (Side note: I was also prescribed topirmate because I was getting migraines 5-6 days a week. So, migraines are infrequent now).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: