8 replies to this topic

#1 kristenloeh

kristenloeh

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 06:58 PM

I have been sick for about a week. Started getting worse and ended up in the hospital today. I have been diagnosed with viral meningitis. This is my first time being "sick" after being diagnosed and all my old comfort foods when I would get sick before being diagnosed Celiac were full of gluten. SO! What are your favorite comfort foods when you're sick? (gluten free of course)

Diagnosed Celiac 04.2012
Gluten-Free 04.2012

Diagnosed Pituitary Prolactinoma 12.2012

Low Cortisol/Possible Addison's Disease 02.2013

Maybe one day I will feel "normal" again. <3

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 07:05 PM

I generally make some homemade chicken soup with carrots and onions.

Boil chicken
shread chicken
add back to pot
add baby carrots and onions
cook till tender

season to taste

Yes, this probably sounds bland but it works when your sick :3

I do the same with beef as well, but it gets pan seared first, kinda like how you do a pot roast.

#3 jaynekellimusic

jaynekellimusic

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 07:39 PM

The most delicious ice cream for a celiac is Coconut Milk Cookie Dough made by Purely Decadent!

#4 ncdave

ncdave

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 05:16 AM

If you can tolerate sugar,Sounds like you need a bag of enjoy life mega chunks. Chocolate cures everything !!! Hope you feel better soon.
gluten free 12/11
dairy free 2/12
soy free 10/12
corn free 10/12
nightshade free 10/12

#5 kittty

kittty

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 05:56 AM

Grilled cheese sandwiches and mac and cheese are still my favorite comfort foods - I just go with the gluten free versions now.

#6 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,938 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 06:02 AM

I second the soup idea--sounds perfect for you. For an easier version right now, if you have to do it yourself, simmer a couple boneless chicken breasts in Pacific Chicken Broth. You can add thinly sliced carrots, celery, etc if you want (frozen even).

The best "noodle" for soup as far as I'm concerned, is Tinkyada Fettuccine broken into pieces and added to soups about 10 minutes before serving.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#7 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 07:39 AM

I go along with the grilled cheese sandwich idea. I also like mashed potatoes with gravy when I'm sick. (Reminds me of meals I had when I was a kid - I hardly ever make mashed potatoes for myself.) And soft boiled eggs. When I was a kid I was born sick and for the first few years of my life that was all I ever wanted to eat.

And of course, ICE CREAM.

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#8 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,998 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:12 AM

What I want when I'm sick is usually mac and cheese. What I have the energy to make and what is sensible to eat is usually ramen with rice noodles. I try to keep some on hand. They seem expensive at around a buck a package but when I'm sick and they're the only thing that I can bear the thought of eating suddenly a buck for a bowl of soup that takes 3 minutes to cook is completely reasonable. I also like chicken rice soup which you can probably find in a can gluten free. There are a few tasty chicken noodle soups gluten free but the cost makes me sick. :lol:

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#9 cyberprof

cyberprof

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:43 AM

My top 3 are:

Chicken soup
Mashed potatoes
Mac n cheese

Like shadowicewolf, I make chicken soup. I cook chicken pieces in gluten-free chicken broth, then shred it. While I'm shredding the chicken, I add some rice to the broth and perhaps carrots, celery etc. and let the rice cook until ready. Add back the chicken. This is my son's favorite thing to have, but I prefer mashed potatoes for my first meal, then move on to other things. Mashed potatoes are easy and so good on a bad stomach.

As I feel better I crave Mac n cheese, but it's a lot of work to make from scratch if I'm the one who is sick. I like Amy's frozen macncheese, but it's expensive and has a lot of fat, so it's not always good on a sick stomach.

I also keep the Thai Kitchen rice noodle soups on hand at work. Spicy things are ok for me and their Thai Curry soup isn't really spicy, so that's what I have sometimes. If you weren't worried about cost, you could toss the spice packet that comes with it and cook the noodles in chicken broth.
Diagnosed by biopsy 2/12/07. Negative blood tests. Gluten-free (except for accidents) since 2/15/07. DQ2.5 (HLA DQA1*05:DQB1*0201)

Son, age 18, previously delayed growth 3rd percentile weight, 25th percentile height (5'3" at age 15). Negative blood work. Endoscopy declined. Enterolab positive 3/12/08. Gene results: HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201 HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0503 Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,1(Subtype 2,5) Went gluten-free, casein-free 3/15/08. Now 6'2" (Over six feet!) and doing great.

"Great difficulties may be surmounted by patience and perseverance." Abigail Adams (1744-1818) 2nd First Lady of the United States

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: