Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Comfort Foods.....

9 posts in this topic

I have been sick for about a week. Started getting worse and ended up in the hospital today. I have been diagnosed with viral meningitis. This is my first time being "sick" after being diagnosed and all my old comfort foods when I would get sick before being diagnosed Celiac were full of gluten. SO! What are your favorite comfort foods when you're sick? (gluten free of course)

Ads by Google:

I generally make some homemade chicken soup with carrots and onions.

Boil chicken

shread chicken

add back to pot

add baby carrots and onions

cook till tender

season to taste

Yes, this probably sounds bland but it works when your sick :3

I do the same with beef as well, but it gets pan seared first, kinda like how you do a pot roast.

The most delicious ice cream for a celiac is Coconut Milk Cookie Dough made by Purely Decadent!

If you can tolerate sugar,Sounds like you need a bag of enjoy life mega chunks. Chocolate cures everything !!! Hope you feel better soon.

Grilled cheese sandwiches and mac and cheese are still my favorite comfort foods - I just go with the gluten free versions now.

I second the soup idea--sounds perfect for you. For an easier version right now, if you have to do it yourself, simmer a couple boneless chicken breasts in Pacific Chicken Broth. You can add thinly sliced carrots, celery, etc if you want (frozen even).

The best "noodle" for soup as far as I'm concerned, is Tinkyada Fettuccine broken into pieces and added to soups about 10 minutes before serving.

I go along with the grilled cheese sandwich idea. I also like mashed potatoes with gravy when I'm sick. (Reminds me of meals I had when I was a kid - I hardly ever make mashed potatoes for myself.) And soft boiled eggs. When I was a kid I was born sick and for the first few years of my life that was all I ever wanted to eat.

And of course, ICE CREAM.

What I want when I'm sick is usually mac and cheese. What I have the energy to make and what is sensible to eat is usually ramen with rice noodles. I try to keep some on hand. They seem expensive at around a buck a package but when I'm sick and they're the only thing that I can bear the thought of eating suddenly a buck for a bowl of soup that takes 3 minutes to cook is completely reasonable. I also like chicken rice soup which you can probably find in a can gluten free. There are a few tasty chicken noodle soups gluten free but the cost makes me sick. :lol:

My top 3 are:

Chicken soup

Mashed potatoes

Mac n cheese

Like shadowicewolf, I make chicken soup. I cook chicken pieces in gluten-free chicken broth, then shred it. While I'm shredding the chicken, I add some rice to the broth and perhaps carrots, celery etc. and let the rice cook until ready. Add back the chicken. This is my son's favorite thing to have, but I prefer mashed potatoes for my first meal, then move on to other things. Mashed potatoes are easy and so good on a bad stomach.

As I feel better I crave Mac n cheese, but it's a lot of work to make from scratch if I'm the one who is sick. I like Amy's frozen macncheese, but it's expensive and has a lot of fat, so it's not always good on a sick stomach.

I also keep the Thai Kitchen rice noodle soups on hand at work. Spicy things are ok for me and their Thai Curry soup isn't really spicy, so that's what I have sometimes. If you weren't worried about cost, you could toss the spice packet that comes with it and cook the noodles in chicken broth.