4 replies to this topic

#1 kvanrens1

kvanrens1

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 10:49 AM

After my daughter was having some stomach pain after being on the gluten-free diet for six months, we started looking everywhere for hidden sources of gluten. We found that the hamster food had wheat listed high up in the ingredient list. Her hamsters are on her desk that she draws, colors, and eats snacks at. So after doing some research, I could not find any commercial gluten free hamster food so started making our own. I am still not sure if that was the hidden source or not. Her stomach aches have stopped but her ped GI also put her back on acid reflux medication (maybe it wasn't gluten but acid reflux). Still glad that we have eliminated the hamster food as a possible source of gluten.

Anyway, I wanted to report on the hamsters. They seem to really like the gluten-free food. Their cage does not smell nearly as bad, there is less hamster waste in the cage, and their coats are shinier. Who knew that hamsters could benefit from a gluten-free diet :lol:

Daughter, age 9, is gluten sensitive, growth hormone deficient, pancreatic insufficient (now resolved), severe lactose intolerance, and other food sensitivities
Blood test/biopsy negative for celiac disease
Enterolab positive for gluten sensitivity
DQ7 and DQ9

Gluten Free since March 2012

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

Advanced Community Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,548 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 10:58 AM

The homemade food is probably healthier. What is the "recipe"? Would be nice to refer people to this thread in the future.

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

LTES

You better cut the pizza in four pieces, because I'm not hungry enough to eat six. ~Yogi Berra

smiley-eating-pizza-slice-emoticon.gif

#3 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,960 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 05:20 PM

LOL That's brilliant. I don't think I would have caught that!
Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#4 mommida

mommida

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,893 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 06:45 PM

Hmmm you might be on to something. The first gluten free hamster food on the market! I can see your family's experience on the side of the bag and some of the health benefits for the hamsters listed too.

What lucky little hamsters! Is there anything mommies don't do?
Michigan

#5 Celiac Mindwarp

Celiac Mindwarp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 02:14 AM

I reckon it is only a small step to cornering the market in gluten-free hamster bars ;)
- Symptoms from 2001, maybe before. Across 20+ years, these have included, vomiting, D, migraines, headaches, recurrent miscarriage, inflammation problems (failure to heal from injuries) brain fog, anxiety and more!
- Elimination diet using Atkins, 2003 – excluded wheat, caffeine, quorn. 2005, excluded sesame, alcohol
- Started diagnosis route April 2012, blood tests, endoscopy – said negative, gluten challenge, clearly something very wrong, had to stop after 3 weeks.
- Gluten Free, August 2012, Corn Free, September 2012. Removed most processed gluten free foods.
- Genetic testing, December 2012 – negative – Diagnosis – Non Celiac Gluten Intolerance (NCGI)
- Elimination diet, January 2013 – all of the above plus dairy, legumes, all grains, sugar, additives, white potatoes, soy. Reintroducing sloooowly now. Health improving.
It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer. ~Albert Einstein Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: