Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

So, You Are Not Going To Believe This

5 posts in this topic

After my daughter was having some stomach pain after being on the gluten-free diet for six months, we started looking everywhere for hidden sources of gluten. We found that the hamster food had wheat listed high up in the ingredient list. Her hamsters are on her desk that she draws, colors, and eats snacks at. So after doing some research, I could not find any commercial gluten free hamster food so started making our own. I am still not sure if that was the hidden source or not. Her stomach aches have stopped but her ped GI also put her back on acid reflux medication (maybe it wasn't gluten but acid reflux). Still glad that we have eliminated the hamster food as a possible source of gluten.

Anyway, I wanted to report on the hamsters. They seem to really like the gluten-free food. Their cage does not smell nearly as bad, there is less hamster waste in the cage, and their coats are shinier. Who knew that hamsters could benefit from a gluten-free diet :lol:

Ads by Google:

The homemade food is probably healthier. What is the "recipe"? Would be nice to refer people to this thread in the future.

LOL That's brilliant. I don't think I would have caught that!

Hmmm you might be on to something. The first gluten free hamster food on the market! I can see your family's experience on the side of the bag and some of the health benefits for the hamsters listed too.

What lucky little hamsters! Is there anything mommies don't do?

I reckon it is only a small step to cornering the market in gluten-free hamster bars ;)