arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

How Do U Handle Cooking For Your Family With Kids?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#16 tlcounts

tlcounts

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 12:34 AM

I deal with some pretty picky eaters! When my son was about 3, a play date offered him some cotton candy, he turned it down! Candy! He's been refusing foods since he was old enough for solids.

I highly recommend the books by Ellen Satter. You can find them on Amazon. "How to get your kids to eat but not too much," is I believe one of the titles. It's a slight variation of "this is what's for dinner, eat or go hungry". Make one meal and put it all on the table at one time. Make sure there is something on the table they will eat, even if it's just a slice of bread (gluten-free possibly?). You don't get up and get them anything else, there should be enough choices on the table for them. And that's pretty much her main point, it's got to be their choice. You can't force them to try a certain food, that will just make it worse. It will take time but if they know it's their choice they are more apt to try (hopefully).

I also discovered my son prefers his veggies crunchy and not cooked. Fine, saves me time and less pans to clean. We do a lot of carrot sticks, sliced red and yellow peppers, cucumbers, green beans, all raw. Not to say I don't serve cooked veggies as well but it's one or the other, I'm not serving both at the same time to accommodate him.

We also deal with multiple food allergies. I have another child allergic to eggs, milk and soy. We don't stray for the core set of meals very often either. It does get a little boring. Shopping is mostly the outside of the grocery store, fruit, veggies, meat. Very little processed foods. Every now and then if I want something fancy I know the kids won't eat, I'll simply put out some safe hot dogs at the same time and ask them if they want any of the other dish. They usually will try a little.

My son is now seven and is starting to get better and try new foods a little bit more and not put up such a fuss over dinner, however my 5 year old is starting to put up blockers on some foods that she previously would eat.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Trudyjerry

Trudyjerry

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 08:01 AM

This is not cruel at all and more parents today should be doing just that. Let them go hungry if they refuse to eat what you cook for dinner....that won't last long. ;) It amazes me that some people let their kids dictate what they will eat!

I have friends that allow their kids to do that and they seem to eat the same foods day in and day out. I would never be able to live like that. One friend in particular seems to live on cereal, Mac and cheese, and Ramen noodles. Why, oh why? I just don't get it.

I get the whole, eat to live, don't live to eat but honestly, I love food. I'm trying to teach my kids that variety is the spice of life.

#18 cyberprof

cyberprof

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 11:36 AM

AnnJay,

If it were me, I'd transition to one meal for the family, naturally gluten-free as you have too many intolerances to combine gluten-free and picky eaters. Plus, some day you may start getting cross-contaminated from your kids' cereals or from their gluteny hands and kisses.

Gluten free goddess has a good number of food intolerances so check out her site for recipies. She also gives good substitution ideas. http://glutenfreegod...kin-donuts.html

When your kids grow out of the "don't mix my food" stage you could look at this gluten-free slow cooker site - she has great family ideas. http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/

Good luck!
Diagnosed by biopsy 2/12/07. Negative blood tests. Gluten-free (except for accidents) since 2/15/07. DQ2.5 (HLA DQA1*05:DQB1*0201)

Son, age 18, previously delayed growth 3rd percentile weight, 25th percentile height (5'3" at age 15). Negative blood work. Endoscopy declined. Enterolab positive 3/12/08. Gene results: HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201 HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0503 Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,1(Subtype 2,5) Went gluten-free, casein-free 3/15/08. Now 6'2" (Over six feet!) and doing great.

"Great difficulties may be surmounted by patience and perseverance." Abigail Adams (1744-1818) 2nd First Lady of the United States

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: